1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Atonement and early the Reformed

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by JonC, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what divisions at the end of the 17th century you are referencing within Calvinism. Can you flesh that out? Expand on that.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would it be safe to say that just as the Arminian theology really has no final say on the issue of if a really saved person can forfeit their salvation, that calvinism has had internal discussions on just exactly was the scope of the Atonement?

That it was not just all agreed to limited atonement, period?

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

No need to flesh it out. Really not much to say except some Calvinists believed Christ died for the sins of the world and some didn't. I was only stating the obvious and am not sure on what you are asking me to expound.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There never has been just a single strict way to view things theologically even within calvinism, as see presby vrs baptist reformed views/new Coveannt theology/new calvinists etc!

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree...that was really all I was pointing out on this thread. It seems that "4 point" Calvinists are often viewed upon as inventing a "newer Calvinism"...or as Rippon says, coming out with a new revelation. I was only saying that this is not the case...an argument can be made that TULIP is not representative of Calvinism as a whole.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    many of Baptist calvinists would fit into being 4 pointers though, and there is also the question of does calvinism mean one must support the entire covenent theology system or not?