1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Atrocities of John Calvin

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by plain_n_simple, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, what you hate is criticism of Calvinism and the NIV. Nothing more.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was perfectly honest in my last post.

I hate lies.

This particular thread is not about Calvinism. It is about John Calvin. Some here would rather lie about him rather than humble themselves and acknowledge their lies.

You are being dishonest to say the kind of things you are harping on.

Stick with the theme.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You have looked hard for a few admirers of Calvin. The truth is he was bitterly opposed for his iron-clad hold on Geneva, his many punishments in the forms of banishments, and even executions. He burned people at the stake.

The main difference with Jacob Arminius, for example was not doctrinal. No man was slandered more than he. To him was falsely attributed all kinds of false doctrine, especially by Calvin. Arminius didn't like the way that Calvin did things--the harsh way he meted out "his form of justice." It was not Christ-like. For a supposed Christian he didn't act like Christ at all.

Arminius had a gentle and kind spirit about him and spoke to Calvin about these things. Calvin was bull-headed and listened to no one.
    Arminius was Calvinistic. He went to John Calvin's school. When Calvin and others began to circulate letters about Arminius's supposed false doctrine he protested vehemently. He never strayed from any orthodox doctrine.
    The confession that he adhered to was "The Belgic Confession" and never departed from it.
    For that he was banished
    In the end it would cost him his life.
    His entire family was murdered in his absence.

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Unlikely since Arminius was 4 years old when Calvin died...

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You're right. Specifically he studied under Beza in Calvin's Institute.

6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Then why did you say the silliness you said earlier? Here, I'll refresh your memory:

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

These are the exact words of Jacob Arminius from his own writings: The Works of James Arminius, Vols. 1&2 Translated from by James Nichols: "The Apology or Defense of James Arminius, against certain theological articles extensively distributed and currently circulated...in the low countries and beyond...Delivered before the states of Holland at the Hague, on the 30th of October, 1608 (quoted in Dave Hunt's book "What Love is This," pages 91-92.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Ok... That's all well and good but that has nothing at all to do with you making Arminius and Calvin out to be contemporaries who debated each other.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Castellion

*Disgusting diatribe published by Calvin and Beza in a preface to their Bible de Genève:

"Satan has found as many translators as there are frivolous and impudent minds; and he will probably find even more, unless God give them pause before it is too late. If the reader asks me for an example, let me refer to Sebastian Castellio's translation of the Bible. . . . We therefore regard it as a conscientious duty to break the silence we have hitherto kept, and to warn all Christians against this man, the chosen of Satan."

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, again that was my mistake. It was after he left Geneva, returned to his homeland of Holland, took up a pastorate, and then was compelled to defend his position on Calvinism with some other theologians. His position on Romans 7 led others to believe he was Pelagian, and from there other doctrinal errors were attached.
    However, he was also a marked man simply because he disagreed with the harshness of the city-state (state-religion) in Geneva, the Institute that he had attended and the things he had observed. This was not Christlike in his opinion.

11. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The atrocities of Calvin do not change the Scriptural teaching of Sovereign Election and Grace.

12. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Good fruit can never come from a bad tree

13. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

OK. I was just pointing out that Calvin and Arminius weren't contemporaries. That error is often made by folks on both sides of the debate. In all honesty, I know little of Calvin's life and his authority in Geneva. Church history is something I really lack knowledge about. I know even less about Arminius himself.

However, I do know two things:
    I know enough history to know that most of the OP is nonsense.
    I also know that whether Calvin was as wicked as Hitler or as pure as the driven snow is ultimately irrelevant to the doctrines of grace clearly found in scripture.

14. plain_n_simple

"I also know that whether Calvin was as wicked as Hitler or as pure as the driven snow is ultimately irrelevant to the doctrines of grace clearly found in scripture."

It is totally relevant and is exactly the place to use the what Jesus said about how good fruit can never come from a bad tree. It applies to Calvin as well as Jim Jones, Charles Manson, and other murderers preaching their own gospel.

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

John Calvin is not the Author of the Biblical Doctrines of Election and Grace. God is!

16. plain_n_simple

You poor soul, you desire it so much to be true you will go far to make it so. You have even gone and attributed this devilish doctrine wrought from the hand of a murderer to the Holy Father. Another verse is now applied to you sir, having itching ears you heap to yourself false teachers. I pray the Holy Spirit brings you revelation of what Calvinism really is.

17. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Genetic Fallacy

You are saying the Calvinism (the Doctrines of Grace) is false, because Calvin was a bad guy. Calvin's actions are utterly irrelevant to the truthfulness of the Doctrines of Grace (Calvinism). In the process you completely mishandle what Jesus said and meant in Matthew 7.

18. plain_n_simple

You poor soul, you desire it so much to be true you will go far to make it so. You have even gone and attributed this devilish doctrine wrought from the hand of a murderer to the Holy Father. Another verse is now applied to you sir, having itching ears you heap to yourself false teachers. I pray the Holy Spirit brings you revelation of what Calvinism really is.

19. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Your false piety and self-righteous attitude are noted.

It's sad that pointing out your illogical argumentation causes you to consider me an unbeliever.

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is with this thought I am closing this thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.