1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ATS/RA

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by StefanM, May 19, 2005.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a seminary is fully ATS-accredited, does a lack of RA affect the utility of its degrees?

2. UZThD

UZThD New Member

IMO, no.

3. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

While I'm not certain of this, I didn't think a school could get ATS accreditation if it didn't have RA. I can't think of any ATS schools that are not RA. Can you think of any?

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond (www.btsr.edu) is ATS-accredited but not RA.

Multnomah Biblical Seminary (www.multnomah.edu) is only a candidate for RA, but it is fully ATS- accredited.

Colgate Rochester Crozer (www.crcds.edu) seems to be authorized by New York's Board of Regents, and it is ATS-accredited, but I don't see any RA.

Nazarene Theological Seminary (www.nts.edu) seems to be only ATS accredited.

My method for obtaining this data was to consult the institutions' websites and to check the database at (http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp).

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As is always the case it would probably depend upon where one plans on using the degree. Therefore one needs to always check with potential employers and schools to make sure they accept degrees/credits from a particular school. Since ATS is approved then the large majority of schools will accept it. So I would say no it does not affect its utility.

6. Nord

Nord New Member

Yes and no. If you are using the degree strictly for ministry....no. If you wanted to use an ATS MDiv to get into a doctoral program...you might.

At one time Southern Christian University (RA) said degrees had to be from an RA school to get into their doctoral programs.

The good news is that there is slow but growing acceptance of Nationally accredited degrees (DETC/ATS/TRACS) for entrance to an RA doctoral program. That is indeed fitting as National Accreditors are recognized accreditors (US Dept of Ed/CHEA). Many employers will take both RA & NA....mine will not take unaccredited under any circumstances). The military accepts RA & NA for
    chaplaincy.

As always, your best utility is from RA programs that also have NA.

North

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought ATS doc. programs generally accepted ATS M.Div. degrees without any problems :confused: .

8. Nord

Nord New Member

Let me clarify......

If you want to use your ATS dgeree for ministry and to get into another ATS accredited school..should be no problem. If you want to use your ATS only Masters to get into an RA university for doctoral work then you may have a problem.

Had a friend several years ago (folks are more enlightened now) who had problems with K-State over a Nationally Accredited degree that was not RA. Got in but was made to do extra work. This was in the late 80's and I suspect things have changed for the better.

North

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I was confused a bit. Personally, I would only be looking in the ATS realm for later doctoral work (if any).

I see how the ATS degrees could pose a problem for RA universities, especially in fields like counseling.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

As has been pointed out, it depends. As a general rule, regional accreditation (RA) is better than national/special accreditation (NA) such as ATS, DETC, etc. NA will get you into some doors. RA will open almost any door. Some seminaries have chosen to punt ATS and are keeping RA for many reasons.

11. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A related question:

RA but not ATS?