1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ats

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pastor Shaun, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

Hello everyone. I am an Education major at a Christian college in Kentucky. I intend on doing seminary work sometime after I complete my bachelors in Education. I am very much interested in studying Bible at the present time while finishing my bachelors in education (I have had nearly 1 full year in Bible-Theological training since every Bach degree through the college I attend requires 30 hours of it). An Evangelist around my area told me about Andersonville Theological Seminary. I have read both positive and negative comments about ATS and I hope to not start a debate. My question is would it be worth studying through this very affordable institution while finishing my Educational degree, or should I wait? I intend on studying through Liberty, and the Southern Baptist Theological seminary is still an option. I know that the ultimate answer is in God's plan for me but any info might be of help. To avoid a debate of ATS you might even want to message me. My intentions are to go for the MRE and finish with the Dr. ED. MIN through SBTS, but at this stage in the game that could change. I am just trying to organize my thoughts. Thanks again

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Based on your plans to go to liberty then SWBTS it would be a waste of time ,money ,and effort on your part ot go to Andersonville.Andersonville credits are not accepted at most accredited schools.

3. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

I will not be finished for 2 1/2 -3 years, then my state requires a masters in Education. Would ATS help me gain more knowledge and understanding until then? Or would you still wait?

4. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Is your state KY?

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary will not accept degrees/credits from Andersonville Theological Seminary. The Southern Baptist Seminary only acknowledges degrees from regionally accredited schools. So if you wish to do a DMin through Southern you need to get your MDiv degree from a school that is regionally accredited. You will also need a MDiv that offers the language requirements that Southern requires for entrance into their DMin program. Liberty cannot offer you that through their distance learning program. Your best "bet" is to attend one of the Southern Baptist Seminaries and earn your MDiv with a focus in Christian education. Several of these schools allow a certain amount of their MDiv degrees to be earned online.

Bottom Line: If you want a DMin from Southern stay away from Andersonville.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It won't be worth your time. If you want to study, just buy theological books to read. Since you intend to advance your education through accredited schools, a degree from Andersonville will be as useful as a PhD from clown college. That sounds harsh, but that's how it is.

It may sound "affordable," but it won't get you anywhere.

7. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

I appreciate the information. The D.Ed.Min however, requires only a MACE or MRE, or a MDIV as long as you have a certain number of CE courses (At least that is what a faculty member has told me). The MDIV is needed for the DMIN. I was not going to use a degree from ATS to get into seminary. I would use the accredited degree I am currently studying for.

Point being, I was told that a MRE would satisfy admission requirements. My current financial situation would lead me to study distance learning. Are there any quality DLP besides what Libery offers?

Another thought I have had is if a Seminary would let someone into a Doctorate program who has not spent 3 years fulltime in ministry. For example, I am currently a youth pastor where I feel God has led me. I am not paid enough to enter in full time, but I feel obedient to God. Does anyone know how that works?

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that some of the DMin concentrations may not require the languages. I do know that the expository preaching emphasis does require them, though.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I would get verification of that from the director of the program and/or head of admissions. Faculty members can be wrong.

==Then don't waste your money on ATS.

==Not 100% distance/online learning, no. The Southern Baptist Seminaries (including Southern and Southeastern) allow you to earn a large chunk of your degree online. You probably wish to check those out.

There are other good programs out there (Luther Rice, Southern Evangelical, Temple, etc) but they are nationally accredited and not regionally accredited. Therefore Southern Seminary will not honor credits/degrees from those schools. Other schools, like Southeastern, usually will honor those credits/degrees. Again verify everything with admissions and/or program directors.

==That depends upon the program. You will need to ask that question of the program director.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that Southern Evangelical is a candidate for ATS accreditation. This may make a difference with respect to transferring credits, etc. Also, I don't think you can earn the MDiv completely online.

11. Broadus

Broadus Member

If you are seeking personal enrichment, work through the free lectures at Biblical Training. The Leadership Education has excellent courses, many of them actual seminary lectures.

Also, check out Covenant Worldwide, a ministry of Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis. Check out the lectures on the left panel. Incredible stuff.

You won't get credit for these, but you'll greatly increase in knowledge which will increase your usefulness in God's kingdom.

Blessings,
    Bill

12. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Brodus is right I've listened to over 100 of these lectures and continue to do so in addition to my reading plan.