1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured auditiorium or sanctuary?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Jul 20, 2015.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Still, churches are built out of stewardship for a purpose. They are mere buildings, but they are not merely buildings. They are set aside for worship, to glorify God - if nothing else by their testimony that there is a people of God. This is something "sticks & bricks" people don't get. It's not that worship center is not just as appropriate as sanctuary (and perhaps more appropriate).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 JonC, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think we're that far apart, actually. It's just that the word "sanctuary" raises my hackles. I've been reading the old Baptists and appreciate the distinctions they made, the anti-magisterial attitude that was in their bones, as they defined their faith.

No gigs about considering baptism and the Lord's Supper sacraments? I'm disappointed. But that's another thread.

:tongue3:

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's my objection to a "sanctuary"

The first use of the word, then the intent of it.....

1.Exodus 15:17
    “You will bring them and plant them in the mountain of Your inheritance, The place, O Lord, which You have made for Your dwelling, The sanctuary, O Lord, which Your hands have established

Exodus 25:8
    Let them construct a sanctuary for Me, that I may dwell among them

Then, the only use of it in the gospels...

Matthew 27:5
    And he threw the pieces of silver into the temple sanctuary and departed; and he went away and hanged himself

Then only 2 NT uses, Hebrews 8:2 & 9:1

Everything in scripture describes the sanctuary as the Holy of Holies, Jewish tabernacle/temple. And Hebrews connects the temple, the Priesthood and the Law...all together.

You simply cannot, from a biblical standpoint, have a sanctuary without placing people under the Law.

#23 JamesL, Jul 20, 2015
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: I don't know of any Baptists who would consider baptism and the Lord's Supper sacraments....but who knows....it wasn't that long ago that our nation saw a Baptist pastor perform an infant baptism. It's a crazy world.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, like I said, Baptists do not consider the sanctuary to be such a sanctuary. I understand now that the word conveys such meaning to some people and perhaps it should be simply stated as "worship center" and the local church building as a "campus" (as the building isn't really the church). I'm not very old....in my late 40's....but I am way to old to care about being "church PC." (I also don't care if we call Christmas "Christmas....even though we don't view it as Christ's Mass....or if we call Resurrection Sunday "Easter" even though we are not worshipping the goddess). Those things don't bother me so much as people making a big deal of what people call things when they realize what is meant by the contemporary usage of the terms. And even that doesn't bother me enough to lose sleep over....except when we can't have pumpkin decorated candy wrappers on Halloween.

Do you believe that Baptists who call the big room where they gather to worship a "sanctuary" are placing people under the Law, or do you believe that they have in mind a more contemporary use of the word?

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Just to be clear, the sanctuary/auditorium/ worship center is not a temple. The church, however, is just that--a temple.
    1 Corinthians 3:16-17.

#26 Zenas, Jul 20, 2015
  7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe it's a matter of being PC, it's a matter of conveying truth properly. What if someone were going about preaching that Jesus died to give eternal life to all, then never clarified?

If you try to correct him, he could just as easily say "I don't think I'm giving anyone a Universalist notion, He died for all. Tomayto, tomahto"

We have a biblical responsibility to make sure that what we say is being understood the same way we mean it. Otherwise, we're simply solidifying error in the minds of men. And if lazy speech keeps people thinking in OT temple terms, then we're not speaking truth.

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The original intent, probably established in the early Middle Ages, was to designate an area imbued with a sacred character. Eventually, "sanctuary" became an architectural term used by Catholics and Anglicans (perhaps others) to identify that area behind the communion rail where the altar and usually the tabernacle are located.

9. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. I'm old school and don't think paedobaptism is appropriate or sanctioned by the New Testament. I was 7 when I was baptized and am not sure I was really a proper candidate for baptism. Postponement might have been in order. But that's me.

I just think that Zwingli went too far and that Calvin was closer to the mark on the ordinances. I certainly don't think the ordinances are salvific, but I do believe that they are sacramental -- holy and set apart -- from my reading of the New Testament. Does not Paul sternly warn against eating and drinking the Lord's body and blood "unworthily" without discerning the sacrifice of Christ? Does not Peter inveigh on the importance of baptism? Do not we as Baptists insist that baptism is the gateway to full participation in the church and to the Lord's Supper?

This is what the Second London Confession has to say about the Lord's Supper, after rejecting transubstantiaton:

"Worthy receivers, outwardly partaking of the visible elements in this ordinance, do then also inwardly by faith, really and indeed, yet not carnally and corporally, but spiritually receive, and feed upon Christ crucified, and all the benefits of his death; the body and blood of Christ being then not corporally or carnally, but spiritually present to the faith of believers in that ordinance, as the elements themselves are to their outward senses."

Sounds sacramental -- holy -- to me.

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me be clear. If, on Sunday morning, a brother says he's going to the sanctuary, I do not feel the need to grab him by the collar and harangue him on the difference between a meeting hall or a worship center or a sanctuary.

Likewise, I serve on a praise team that has four singers, a pianist, an organist, two guitarists and a drummer. If I had my druthers, singing would be a capella with no choir. But the church hasn't chosen that route, and I do not feel it is my role to rail against its choices because they're not mine. I could go join the Primitive Baptists if I wanted to be "church PC." Instead, I serve as I can within the framework the church has selected because I believe God has called me to be with these believers at this moment. And God has blessed me for it.

But this is a debate forum, and I feel free to put forth what I believe are biblical views. Besides, I'm a paid-up member of the Curmudgeon's Club and intend to take full advantage of its privileges.

#30 rsr, Jul 20, 2015
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course....I think that we all understand that this is where we can debate our differences. That is what I was doing as well. This is a very minor disagreement (on what to call the worship center) and my church does call it a "worship center."I shy away from "meeting hall" as it is not reflective of the purpose of the building (just like "campus," I think "meeting hall" merely helps churches blend in and take on secular images for a very "unsecular" purpose).

What I disagree with is the notion that the church building is "just a building." In one sense, it is just a building. The English Bible is, after all, just a book. It is just ink and paper. That does not mean when I need a doorstop I feel it is just as appropriate as Webster's dictionary for that purpose. The English Bible is set apart from other books as it is a tool, or lens, through which we can study God's revelation. The building is representative of it's purpose to the world. So my objection is not in abandoning the use of "sanctuary" but in viewing things in a strictly utilitarian purpose. and even going so far as making common what the church has set apart for the purpose of facilitating corporate worship.

#31 JonC, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand, and I can respect that. I am often a stickler for using the right words as well. I just am not sure that using "sanctuary" conveys anything but a worship center. Many other words have come to differ from an original meaning as well, and if you look up "sanctuary" I believe that you may find it is not necessarily restricted to an OT usage. That said, I'm fine with "worship center."

13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe the lone use of "sanctuary" is the issue, it's when all the other OT elements are dragged in, such as altars, tithing, etc. And the supposed "worship leader"

Worship isn't contained in a few songs, it's our service, etc as we live. And I've never heard this supposed worship leader offer anything more substantive than any other teacher or preacher

It's truly a throwback to the temple. I'm not sure if you've seen/heard it, but every single week some supposed worship leader is instructing a group of people to "invite the Holy Spirit to come"

People are seriously coming there with the hope of meeting God there. And the verbiage, including sanctuary, does nothing but bolster their error.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do see your point. I think that the same is true of the Bible. I have seen people who, essentially, make the Bible their idol. My caution is to those who look at these worship centers as merely utilitarian spaces. But you are right that we should not view our worship centers as temples. They are "special" only because they are set aside for the church.