1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Authority

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Jude, Dec 6, 2002.

1. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

DHK, that is not the question.

The point that I am making is that Baptists do not agree on what constitutes the church.

It seems that a lot of people here are upset with that statement but so far none have reconciled the contrary postitons taken by Baptists on this thread.

Do Baptists believe that there is or is not a universal church made up of all believers on earth?

Ron

[ December 11, 2002, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: trying2understand ]

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

3. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

Changing the subject may satisfy your fellow Baptists, but I have not lost sight of the fact that Baptists do not have an answer to my assertion that Baptists do not even have a common understanding of the "church".

BTW, it appears that you are the odd man out with the Baptists who have taken the view that there is indeed a universal church made up of all believers on earth. Perhaps you can convince one of them to go to the lexicon and answer your diversionary question.

For now, I'll stick with the subject at hand. I rather like it because it so vividly points out the weakness of sola scriptura. I mean defining the meaning of "church" should be pretty basic to your faith.

Ron

[ December 12, 2002, 03:59 AM: Message edited by: trying2understand ]

4. Bible-belted

Bible-belted New Member

"For now, I'll stick with the subject at hand. I rather like it because it so vividly points out the weakness of sola scriptura. I mean defining the meaning of "church" should be pretty basic to your faith."

As we have all agreed as to the meaning of ekkelsia, you are simply creating a division where none exists.

And since your definition of church does not even exist in the New Testament, you probably should drop the topic since while it does not illustrate what you think it does, your carrying on certainly illustrates the extra-biblical and anti-biblical nature of your denomination.

You have failed to answer any questions put to you, and have shown no effort in attempting to do anything other than demonstrate ignorance.

That means you, lad, are on ignore. Wake me when you are ready to really interact. [​IMG]

[ December 12, 2002, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Latreia ]

5. Netcurtains3

Netcurtains3 Guest

When Peter and James held that chat in Jerusalem I think that chat was to make decisions for the "whole" church (in the acts of apostles somewhere or other). So yes there clearly is a physical church in the bible and it had chiefs and chiefesses - guys and girls at the top.

Net.

[ December 13, 2002, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: Netcurtains3 ]

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That won't do Net. You will have to back up this "Peter and James chat" thing with actual Scriptural references if you can find them. The same goes for "chiefs and chiefesses," "guys and girls at the top." If there were any "girls at the top," so to speak, then provide Scripture. Don't go making off the cuff remarks here that you can't back up Scripturally.
    DHK