1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Awesome church experience!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it does not. It reads into those verses what those verses do not say.

I can list some of them for you. Romans 3:11 says no one seeks after God, but it does not say no one seeks after God at any time. That is the Calvinist addition.

Ephesians 1:4 says He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world. It does not say He chose us individually. That is the Calvinist addition.

1 Corinthians 2:14 says the natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God. It does not say the natural man does not accept "all" the things of the Sp[irit of God, that is the Calvinist addition.

Sir, I provided specific verses demonstrating Calvinism is hogwash, and you ignored them. Instead you asserted those scriptures were hogwash, and appealed to unspecified verses. Thus you simply changed the subject. Not a very encouraging beginning....

2 Thessalonians 2:13 teaches our election for salvation was conditional.
    1 Timothy 2:4-6 teaches Christ died as a ransom for all.
    Matthew 23:13 teaches men were entering the kingdom of heaven but were blocked.
    Deuteronomy 30:15-16 teaches God sets before us the choice of life or death, not death or life only.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is perilously close to being sent to the C/A Forum because it had become dispute about C/A theology. Please return to the OP.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP advocated the "awesome experience" of a Calvinist attending a Calvinist Church. Actually what was being advocated, in a backhanded way, was Calvinism. How does this line up with the Biblical Doctrine of not seeking "ear-ticklers."

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please re-read the opening post. This thread isn't becoming a C/A dispute; it started as a "calvinist feels better in a calvinist church than in a non-calvinist one" statement. Re-read the very last line of the OP, which asked for other calvinists in a similar situation to chime in.

The C/A forum is exactly where this thread belongs.

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take your point, but it seemed to me that the OP had a broader application, i.e., do you attend a church with you are in full agreement? That led to some discussion about the importance — or lack of importance — of soteriology in selecting a church. And then the proof texting began. At that point, it seems to me, it became not a matter of general interest but one of polemics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it weren't for that last line, I'd agree.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is really awesome is attending to a church that teaches the truth with clarity. No dismissing or nullifying verses that do not fit the presuppositions of the members. No claiming they do not mean what they say.

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have the privilege of attending such a church?

• Like Like x 1
  9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. Non Cal feel welcome in their churches and us Calvinist in our churches.[snipped]. I personally read plenty of Non Cal books.

Personally do you feel welcome in your church and is it a good church experience? I LOVED the message I heard last week and am listening to it again on CD in my car.

#29 evangelist6589, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2016
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're still making this cal vs. non-cal.
    Who mentioned Ron Rhodes? Wasn't me. Non-cal bashing? You've now made that claim; all I did was point out how your OP, particularly your final statement, focused the conversation on being a calvinist in a non-cal church.

Good for you.

And that's where your opening post could have stopped, and we'd have a pleasant, "general" discussion about it; but YOU injected cal vs. non-cal throughout your opening post.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not real
    Not really, ly as most "arminian" churches pastors still teach eternal security!

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I wonder how many church members even realize if they are Cal or Arm or somewhere in betwteen.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that most Baptists churches would fall somewhere in the middle on that spectrum, as would still hold to some 'free will" tesponse, but also when you really discuss with them, they do see the need for God to do the moving first!

14. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Closed until this mess can be cleaned up.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not talking about the official church Doctrine statement -
    I am referring to the rank and file members of the church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.