1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B.C./A.D. out and B.C.E./C.E. in

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by exscentric, Sep 29, 2011.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christians Outraged as BBC Drops B.C./A.D. Dating Method
    British Christians are outraged after the state-funded British Broadcasting Corporation decided to replace the terms B.C. (Before Christ) and A.D. (Anno Domini, or Year of the Lord) in historical date references with B.C.E. (Before Common Era) and C.E. (Common Era), Religion News Service reports. In an official statement, BBC said since it was "committed to impartiality, it is appropriate that we use terms that do not offend or alienate non-Christians." The announcement drew immediate reactions from angry listeners and readers, who jammed BBC's phone lines. "These changes are unnecessary," said retired Anglican bishop Michael Nazir-Ali, "and they don't actually achieve what the BBC wants them to achieve. Whether you use Common Era or Anno Domini, the date is still the same and the reference point is still the birth of Jesus Christ." from crosswalk's email news.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What do you expect from the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation?

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think several stations in the US have adopted this as well. I really don't care, it's all talking about the same thing.

Who/what initiates the "Common Era"?

4. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Academics have been doing this for years. Do I think it's necessary? Of course not. Is it necessary to make it a big deal? Absolutely not.

5. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

PHP:
    Jesus, of course!

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In the past I've had to resubmit a paper that I wrote for a secular journal who required BCE/CE over my BC/AD. I didn't mind it. (There were some other things I had to change formatting wise too)

This issue isn't that big of a deal for me. As we see an advancing post-Christian culture we will certainly see more of this. The Church remains and thrives regardless. For that I am thankful. :)

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Well said. The preservation of the Church universal has nothing to do with this.