1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B. H. Carroll Institute

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by greek geek, Jun 3, 2006.

1. greek geek

greek geek New Member

i'm looking for a place to do a phd and i keep coming back to the BH Carroll Institute that's started up in texas. (http://www.bhcti.org) i know it's not accredited yet - but they are working on it and it'll be a couple of years till i can go for a phd anyway. anyway, i was just wondering if anyone on this board has heard anything about the school. i have some contacts with the school, but i'm mostly interested to know what people are thinking about this new start up seminary. so if you've heard of it please let me know what you think.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?

GG,

Do you have a Master's Degree now from an accredited university or seminary?

Why do you want to do a PhD?

Please advise?

I looked at the program you mentioned and did not see anything that had to do with the PhD.

If one were wanting to do a PhD then why would one pick a "brand new" first "jack out of the box" school with "no name" or "no fame" or no "track record" hardly at all?

These are not criticism, I am only trying to understand your rationale.

Clarification please?

sdg!

rd

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some of the professors I know are former SWBTS professors. Those whom I know are very good.

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

They have some great proffs, and will be accredited and offering Phd's in the near future. I know some of the proffs personally and also know a couple folks who are attending - they love it.

I also love the concept of the teaching churches that they employ.

5. greek geek

greek geek New Member

rhetorician,
    i am just a few hours shy of finishing my masters at dts. i want a phd because i want to teach in a baptist college. bh carroll does have what will be a phd program - but until they are certified by the state of texas they can't call it that. receiving certification from teh state of texas is a two year process and they should receive the certification shortly and will then immediately file for accreditation with sacs and ats and others. the advanced study courses is their pending phd program.

the reason i am drawn to bh carroll is because of how their phd program is set up. your studies are directed by a senior fellow (a prof) who works with you and gives you assignments and guides your studies. beyond that directed study and reading program other requirements can be filled online. but twice a year they have a colloquy where all students come together to present and listen to papers. i like this format for several reasons, but one is that i will be able to live anywhere and work on my degree, which is great because after graduation it looks like my ministry will take me to a city that has no nearby seminary.

gb, and jc
    thanks for your comments. i'm glad to know opinions about the profs. i've heard about a few of the profs, but i have not heard much about them. thanks for your insights on that.

it's still a couple of years away until i can start there (if i do go there) but i like what i've heard about it so far...i just want to make sure i'm getting a good picture of what the school is like.

6. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does the Carroll Institute compare to other "alternative" programs the BGCT has started in recent years (Truett & Logsdon Seminaries, eg)?

7. greek geek

greek geek New Member

the main distinction for me is that truett and logsdom do not offer phd's. truett does have a d.min, though. beyond that, i don't know enough about truett or logsdon to compare them adequately