1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Babies are righteous?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by reformedbeliever, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skypair

skypair Active Member

Don't worry about me, bro. Bein' alone doesn't make me wrong. I, like webdog, believe all men are born with "sin nature" and I've described it --- the "survival instinct" that develops into a sinful nature.

And that fact that babies are saved is not grace -- it is justice. They don't yet need the blood of Christ, but they will.

How do you prove babies are not in the same innocent state as prefall Adam? You don't.

You constantly harp on the transmittability of sin from parent to child that Ezek 18:20 strictly disallows! Let's be quite frank --- you have no knowledge of what God's disposition of deceased infants is and you are trying to explain something that even your theology knows nothing about.

In that theology, I note several gratuitous choices: 1) they baptize them into salvation, 2) the church somehow gives them faith though they cannot understand word one, 3) the blood of Jesus is applied without belief to the children of "elect" parents, or 4) all babies go to hell. Have I missed any?

This is baloney, my friend! There is no other way but Christ and you must believe on Christ to go that way! It's your own theology you should be worried about.

I was reading R.C. Sproul last night and have come to an interesting insight -- Calvinism has the spectre of what they did to Catholicism haunting them. That is, they are so deathly afraid of heretics breaking up their theology like they did the RCC that they defend it tooth and nail. Whether its tenets are worth defending (or even defensible) is no longer the issue! They are afraid to move forward like they made Catholicism move forward! I've never read such fear in R.C. in any other book than I have in "The Holy Spirit."

On the other hand, I read the testimony of his salvation there and ---- I believe him. Of course, the "way" he prescribes through his current theology is suspect and doesn't at all resemble his own conversion. It appears he came out of Catholicism and perhaps, like Calvin, he still liked certain features like doctrinal rigidity, apostolic succession, elemental communion, etc. which "beld through" to the Reform Church, too.

skypair

#281 skypair, Apr 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, now we have the soul dead, the mind dead, and the body will be dead. I never heard that spin put on Paul saying "I died", when the Commandments came.

I wonder what he meant when he said the Commandments came. The Law was around for many years when Paul was born naturally so.

I think I will stick with the he died spiritually when the Commandments came for it aligns itself just right with "the soul that sinneth shall die", don't you think? Instead of running off with some spin that is not even scripture.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

O.k. Bob, then you must think that anyone who ever lived, including all men pre-Moses, were spiritually alive.

The whole context of Romans 7 is Paul's battle with himself when it comes to sin, and he shows how the knowledge of the Law brings greater conviction and greater condemnation. He is not dealing with the judicial aspect of sin against a holy God and how sin brings spiritual death - he dealt with that aspect in chapters 1-6.

My interpretation is simply an attempt to use other passages of Scripture to help shed light on these difficult verses. Romans 7 is one of the most complex chapters in all of Scripture - Christians have debated for years on its meaning. I think to intepret Paul's dying in 7:9 as spiritual death raises too many other questions with other passages.

It's sort of akin to the use of Acts 2:38 by the Campbellites to come up with Baptismal Regeneration. They say, "It is so clear that baptism is required for salvation - look Peter says so plainly!" Well, you and I would argue that you have to interpret that verse in light of other clear verses that says we are saved by grace through faith alone. The Campbellite would say we are "spinning" it to suit our theology. We would say, no we are interpreting it properly in the context of Scripture.

#283 Andy T., Apr 19, 2007
  4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Skypair, sorry, I am not joining you on your journey into un-orthodoxy.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yes, I don't believe in babies going to hell at all, whether pre-Moses or not. Anyway, Moses never gave the Commandments, God did and the scripture says He changes not. Even Adam and Eve knew they were naked and hid themselves.

Rom 2:14For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

I suspect the same was true before God gave Moses the Tablets. Cain knew he had sinned when he slew Abel.

#285 Brother Bob, Apr 19, 2007
  6. skypair

skypair Active Member

Actually, you missed one law -- "and for this cause a man shall ... and cleave unto his wife." That was the "law" and everyone broke it pre-Moses till the flood. After that, they broke the command to "be fruitful, multiply, and replenish the earth." But we know that "law" was not obeyed either, don't we?

So yeah, it wasn't "the" law but the "commandment," the commandment of God, that Paul spoke of disobeying unto spiritual death of his soul and it happened even before there was "the law."

Better "check your brain at the door" then. Cause your brain is your spirit and you're just gonna have to keep taking it to places that don't make sense scripturally or intellectually. :laugh:

skypair

#286 skypair, Apr 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  7. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

But that wasn't the Mosaic Law as Paul is discussing in Romans 7. And even though those were pre-Mosaic commandments of God, they were not written down, so not everyone who had access to them. So it goes back to the assumption that if you equate Romans 7:9 with spiritual death, then you must believe that anyone who does not gain knowledge of a written code of God's commands (which is the Mosaic Law in this context) is always spiritually alive. This would include the native who eats other humans - he is spiritually alive because he is unaware of the Mosaic Law. That intepretation just doesn't work.
    Thanks for the complement and your good Christian spirit.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Job 32:8But [there is] a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

God didn't create man and not give him directions. If he was made subject to vanity, then he must be taught what vanity is. God never fails, it is man that fails.

9. skypair

skypair Active Member

It was a "small, small world" back then, johnp. I'm betting they all knew.

And as you see the postflood people move out and occupy the earth, you also see "towers" to heaven appear in all cultures testifying to some knowledge of God-man distinction.

I think we could "beat this into the ground" when the Bible tells us all we need to know in Rom 1:18-21. The revelation by God of Himself is the "prevenient grace" that was needed --- how man responded no doubt determined whether he was justified without "specific grace" that we have today.

skypair

10. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello skypair.

I'm in Nottinghamshire and you are in Tennessee, I would say it's a small world now wouldn't you?

No one knew the law before Moses but the requirements of the law are written on our hearts. Our conscience always ready to condemn, or is it warn? There was nothing to know as God had not published them until Moses. People had a clue as to right and wrong, even canibals.

Gen 11:4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

We are not so different, God is always doing things to make a Name for Himself.

JN 3:3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. "
    JN 3:5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, `You must be born again.' 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

john.

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Rom 2:19 if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of infants, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth--

john. :)

12. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Babies Regenerated?

To All:

The error of the regeneration before faith position is taken by some men to such an extreme that they insist God regenerates, saves, justifies, and makes righteous infants in the womb. They believe years later the infant, once mature, will express faith in Christ.

They look to these passages for support of their position.

Here is an example from Dr. Wayne Grudem.
    This is present, but not common in the Reformed camp. I have contacted two men in my circles who are Reformed in their theology. One with an earned Doctorate, the other less than one year away from his Doctorate, and each of them have various other advanced degrees. Both said they know of no one in Fundamental Baptist circles that hold to an infant regeneration.

The infant regeneration position is just about as far to the left as one can go in the Reformed camp. That position makes many Reformed men squirm. I find it an utterly unbiblical position that has no basis in Scripture.

These are ambiguous passages (Jer. 1:5 & Luke 1:15) that we should not be building doctrinal buildings with. Whatever happened to John and Jeremiah was totally unique, one of a kind.

I believe God regenerates children who die very young when they get to heaven. I don’t believe God sends very young children or severely retarded people to Hell. In their special cases I believe God is capable based on the atonement to give life to these who are mentally incapable at the point of death. I would use David’s Son as an example.

LM

In Defense of the Gospel

13. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Is this men you talk about Bob? Who subjected him to vanity? Why was it done against his will? How is it the fault of man if he was made subject to vanity unwillingly :) Did you like the quote above where Paul takes it for granted that infants were taught?

john.

14. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Lou Martuneac, nice to meet you. :)

John Calvin believed it. :)

"Yet it certainly is possible for God to bring regeneration (that is, new spiritual life) to an infant even before he or she is born. This was true of John the Baptist, for the angel Gabriel, before John was born said, 'He will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb' (Luke 1:15). We might say that John the Baptist was 'born again' before he was born!"

I find it an utterly unbiblical position that has no basis in Scripture. :)

john.

15. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Calvin was Wrong.

Thanks, I wanted to offer some, what I hope is helpful insight.

John Calvin was wrong on this one.

LM

In Defense of the Gospel

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

FWIW, I can't believe this thread is still going on.

17. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Mt 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven? Mt 18:2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, Mt 18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Mt 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Mt 18:5 And whoso shall RECEIVETH ONE SUCH LITTLE CHILD in my NAME RECEIVETH ME. Mt 18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which BELIEVE in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Mt 19;13 Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them. Mt 19:14 But Jesus said, suffer little children, and forbid them not to come unto me: for of such is the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

18. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

I do not believe a babie or a child will go to hell and if you believe this then there is something wrong with you. You have to know the law to be jugde by the law. A child or a babie is as perfect as God wants them to be. When thou know to do good and do it not then it becomes sin. They don't know to do good before God right know. God will inlighten them that they are sinners just like he inlighten Adam and Eve and just like he did with us. We new that we was naked before him and we have all eaten that fruit that has that knowlegde. We that have eaten that fruit has that knowlegde of GOOD AND EVIL. We was not born into sin. We was not sinners before we at that fruit. I did not know what good and evil was when I was born into this world. I did not know what good and evil was till I read the law. I became evil because I sin against God. I became dead because I sin against God. God has let me know that I have done these things. I was 17 years old when I new that I had sin in the sight of God and that I needed to repent. But I did not listen to him I keep sinning walking around as a dead man. I was a danger to myself because if I die there will be one place for me. What kind of God do you have that believe a child will go to hell. The God that I know is a loving God and slow to anger and full of mercie and hates evil. A babie is not evil. This is a corrupt thing that is going around. Go read where it said what shall be cast into the lake of fire. I never seen will it said babies or a child. I believe a lier will and this is a lie that babies go to hell.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

As this has reached 30 pages it will be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.