1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Babies are righteous?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by reformedbeliever, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russell55

russell55 New Member

But the reason Christ's righteousness is applied to anyone is as the basis for justification (or a declaration of not guilty). If Christ's righteousness is applied to infants because of their sin nature, then they need to be justified (or declared not guilty) because of that sin nature.

In other words, to turn things around, if Christ's righteousness is needed because of their sin nature, that sin nature itself makes them guilty before God.

So you can't say "They are not born guilty, but they need Christ's righteousness." It doesn't add up.

#41 russell55, Apr 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
  2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Actually, "righteousness" implies obedience, not innocence.

Luke 1 tells us that Zechariah and Elizabeth "And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless."

Did they sin? (All people do.) They are blameless, but they are not innocent. They were righteous because they were obedient.

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

When you speak of our practical righteousness - that which works out in us in our daily lives - I agree. But I am not talking about our practical, daily-living-out righteousness; I am talking about the righteousness of Christ, which includes perfect obedience and thus, innocence. It is through our justification in Christ that we are declared righteous before God, and thus, are innocent before him positionally. Not only did Christ take our sins away and put them on him (and now we are not guilty), he also gives us his perfect righteousness instead of our sin (and now we are innocent). It is a glorious transfer - Christ takes our sin, while we receive his righteousness.

#43 Andy T., Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  4. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

Excellent point.

5. Isaiah40:28

This is a related question of the op.
    Why were children included in the renewing of the covenant as seen in
    Deut. 29:9-13
    Also Joshua 8:35
    And Joel 2:12-17
    It appears that children from the very youngest are included by God in His covenantal dealings with Israel.
    Based on passages like these and similar ones, what is the position of children before God?

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You have taught me. I was thinking about the Transfiguration. I asked that
    in church the other night and only 3 people got it right.
    "Did Moses ever make it over into Canaan? Remember, he died on Mt. Pisgah. Did he make it?" Most answered "no". Then their eyes popped when I took them to the Transfiguration. I learned that listening to Dr. McGee.

7. skypair

skypair Active Member

The answer to your question is that the dead INNOCENTS (infants) go to Abraham's bosom or heaven and are resurrected with the just. Therefore, God is not punishing the innocent with the wicked -- everyone will die once. Difference is, innocents get a "first chance."

Physical death is not a punishment --- it is a result of the fall.

skypair

8. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

No sky, that is not the answer to my question. Do babies count? I think they do. If not ten righteous could be found was the question. If babies are considered righteous, then there should have at least been ten in those cities wouldn't you think? Punishment was not the question.... nor where babies go when they die. I think all of them go to heaven by God's sovereign grace.

9. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Since "babies" cannot think in abstract ways and cannot even comprehend who God is, it therefore follows that babies cannot choose to follow God or choose to reject God, and therefore cannot be held responsible for suppressing the truth, not glorifying God or giving thanks to him, worshipping idols, exchanging the truth of God for a lie, abandoning the knowledge of God, or knowing God's righteous decree but continuing to disobey it. Such describes an awareness that infants by their very nature cannot attain. I think babies are neither righteous nor unrighteous, though they are born in sin and their inclination is ever toward unrighteousness.

10. Isaiah40:28

So what third category is there for babies?

I was curious what Psalm 8:2 refers to:

11. skypair

skypair Active Member

Sorry, rb. I meant that they are not given the righteousness of God (saved) as innocents -- therefore, they are not righteous. They are "just," though, on account of innocence. That's how I see it.

skypair

12. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Quite right, heaven would be empty unless someone was able to provide a sinner with a perfect righteousness. And that is what Jesus Christ came to earth to do. That is why Paul dismissed any idea of having his own righteousness to earn entry to heaven. Philippians 3.8-9:

8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ
    9 ¶ and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith;​

It is the righteousness of Christ we need m- our own supposed righteousness is mere filthy rags in God's sight.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just...not guilty.

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Webdog -- here's the way I see it scripturally:

Babies are in the state of Adam before the fall. They have what Renald Showers calls an "untested predisposition to Godliness" (something like that ... have to wait till I get home to check). UNTESTED is the key. God isn't going to accept anyone who has been "tested" and failed into heaven --- but He's not going to condemn anyone who hasn't been tested either.

So yes, found judicially "just" according to innocence.

skypair

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

skypair.

PS 58:3 Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward and speak lies.

Bang goes that idea. :)

Do you mean check with Renald Showers? Don't bother, Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward and speak lies. Ps 58:3. One does not need to eat the whole joint to see if it's bad, one slice will tell you. I think Spurgeon said that.

JOB 9:15 Though I were innocent, I could not answer him; I could only plead with my Judge for mercy.

"I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." This is the key.

Bang goes my salvation then.

He does the testing?

So no, innocence does not remove guilt. :) JOB 9:20 Even if I were innocent, my mouth would condemn me; if I were blameless, it would pronounce me guilty. :)

john.

16. Isaiah40:28

Says you and your sources.
    No one has brought up that we don't know how God views babies for eternity.
    Does He consider them only in their infant state?
    Does He have knowledge of them as sinful adults?
    Do they remain babies for all eternity?
    Since God takes their life(prematurely from our view) is He required to give them eternal life?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

True, we don't know. Adam and Eve were created as adults, so an argument can be made that infants in death become adults in Heaven. Physiologicaly, adults plateau around 30 - 33, then begin to "fall apart" after that point....Jesus died physically at 33, etc.
    If they never become adults, how can there be knowledge of them as adults?
    God's requirements square with His nature, which are just and righteous.

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

First -- why are you in the "attack mode??" And who are you implying are my "sources??" I'm only trying to answer the question.

Think about what state YOU will be arriving in heaven and you will understand. YOU will arrive with no more or less intellect or spirituality than you have now. Unles you are raptured first, you will be given a white robe and told "wait until thy fellow servants die." (Rev 6)

Like web says -- they weren't adults. He knows them as they are and as they will be.

No. They will be resurrected as they left -- infants -- into the MK of Christ.

No. They will get their first chance to receive in the MK and have the same choice as you during this life.

skypair

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

What happens to babies who die in the MK?

:laugh:

20. johnp.

johnp. New Member

God's requirements square with His nature, which are just and righteous.

Since God takes their life(prematurely from our view) is He required to give them eternal life or not webdog?

john.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.