1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baby Dedication service

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by spurgeon2004, Jun 3, 2004.

1. spurgeon2004

spurgeon2004 New Member

I need some of you pastors to help me. I need a short order of service for a baby dedication. Please somebody who has done these before please respond. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure. I don't do them any more, as they have been confused with christening, etc, of the liturgical churches.

1. We have couple and their parents (if possible) in front. Dad holds the baby.

2. Share a little personal history

3. Read scripture (lots of possibilities) and share of parents/church responsibility

4. Have questions for parents that you ask and they say, "we do".

5. Have questions for church that you ask in their help in raising the child - maybe written out like responsive reading in the bulletin

6. Prayer

I'd limit it to 8 minutes or so. People standing in front have a tough time; pray the baby is SLEEPING!

And explain (in writing in bulletin) that this is NOT some covenant, christening, baptism, etc.

3. aefting

aefting New Member

I am in complete agreement with you here. This is something that has bothered me for a long time. Most of the time, these baby dedications take on the look of a christening with the baby wearnig a fancy outfit and the whole extended family in attendance, etc. The pastor will normally turn it into a parent dedication but then I wonder why we even need the baby there in the first place. We have created an ordinance/sacrament that doesn't exist for the NT church.

Andy

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

Dedication of baby Natalie Elizabeth Zwolanek at First Baptist. Dad Mike's family on left and Mom Elissabeth (with us on the right - I'm the dude in the bow tie. Duh)

5. onestand

onestand New Member

My grandad dedicated our son to the Lord. We had the dedication in a secluded spot in Hoss's resturant, we invited a few close friends and family. Grandad (who was an ordained Pastor) informed everyone that there was a difference between dedications and baptisms and this was simply a time we agreed together as parents and loved ones to make sure our child was loved, taken care of and raised to love God.

I find it a sweet intimate time to recognize the blessing of a child and the responsibility God gave us to teach him or her godly things.