1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baby shower for an unwed mother

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Apr 23, 2009.

?
  1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Other,explain

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's one of those awesome contradictions, because there's plenty of biblical commands telling us not to.

Matthew 7:1 - "Judge not, that ye be not judged."

Luke 6:37 - "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged. "

Romans 2:1 - "Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things."

Romans 14:10 - "But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. "

James 4:12 - "Who art thou that judgest another? "

and my favorite:
    Matthew 7:3 - "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

or as the NIV says: "Why do you see the speck in your brother's eye but fail to notice the beam in your own eye?"

What part of "thou art inexcusable" don't you understand?

#61 corndogggy, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
  2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Well, let's look at them.

For some reason you separated these. They actually go together (as you can tell by the numbers). And you also skipped v. 2: For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. And v. 5: You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

As you can see, the point here is not about judgement but about hypocrisy.

This verse is about loving others.

This verse is about hypocrisy.

This verse is about Christian libert.

This verse is about hypocrisy ... those who judge by the law but don't do the law.

So what you have shown is that we shouldn't be hypocrites. We shouldn't judge others for things about which we ourselves are not repentant.

The Scripture, on teh other hand, is full of commands to judge, such as Matt 18, 1 Cor 5, Phil 1, James 5, etc. The point is the basis of judgment and the attitude of judgment.

But more to the point: Not having a baby shower is not the same as judging them. To equate those two is misguided. We can provide for the mother without a baby shower and not be in unrighteous judgment.

I understand it perfectly. What part of "thou that judgest doest the same things" don't you understand? If I am an unwed mother and throw a baby shower for myself, while refusing to throw one for someone else, then I am "inexcusable" perhaps (but even then we would have to look deeper). If I discipline someone out of the church for immorality, but participate in immorality, I am inexcusable. Not having a baby shower for someone is not inexcusable.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Co 5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
    1Co 5:2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
    1Co 5:3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
    1Co 5:4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
    1Co 5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
    1Co 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
    1Co 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
    1Co 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
    1Co 5:9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
    1Co 5:10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
    1Co 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
    1Co 5:12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
    1Co 5:13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

4. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, so it's ok to get them stuff, possibly even talking about it and handing the gift over at church... you just can't get several people together at the same time and do that and call it a shower. Yeah, that's it. :thumbs:

5. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Have you even read this thread? Please go back and read my comments before making smart aleck responses.

6. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point is that it's kind of hard to be judgmental without being a hypocrite.

7. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah actually, and you seem to make the same argument here:

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That's not the point of that passage.

And it's not hard to be judgmental without being a hypocrite. If we strive to live in repentance, we can practice loving judgment in the context of biblical obedience. In fact, if you don't practice judgment, you can't be obedient Christ. Paul condemns the Corinthians because they did not practice judgment. HE said if he was there he would have already done it.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I think it safe to say that you don't understand what the argument is.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The child does not suffer at all if there is not a shower. The shower is a celebration. All the helping should happen with or without a shower. You seem to think that helping can only happen with a shower. You are wrong.

No one has said that. What I say is sorry, I will not celebrate your sin. I will however, help you to raise the child properly. That includes helping you with essential items if you can't afford them. That also includes helping to hold you up and instruct you on the ways of righteousness.

No shunning is taking place. Again I ask, should we celebrate a murderer? If you say no, then in your eyes you would be shunning the murderer. Where does your shunning stop?

A sin is a sin and none should be celebrated. I'm not comparing a birth to a murder. I'm comparing a child conceived outside of weblock to murder.

11. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know exactly what you're comparing, and without going into what I think of your opinion, let me ask you... so you think everybody who has had sex outside of wedlock is on the same level as a murderer?

12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your argument is that it's perfectly fine for everybody to give gifts individually, or even have a shower elsewhere. You just can't hold a shower in the church building where everybody gives gifts all at once. Tell me that's not what you're saying.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That's not what I am saying.

14. matt wade

Is one sin greater than another? Both condemn you to hell. Neither should be celebrated.

15. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the problem though, you're not celebrating the sin, you're celebrating and helping the new life. The initial act is the sin, not the child. Just because one person's luck was a little different and a child was produced doesn't mean they're any worse than the next person who did the exact same thing. You should assume that they are forgiven by God and do the same yourself. Keeping grudges and acting like this person is still sinful does no good and is hardly honorable. You usually don't know the whole story and it's pretty horrible to say that a child isn't worth celebrating.

#75 corndogggy, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2009
  16. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does make one a hypocrite if they're so willing to speak against these other since without admitting their own.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have defined it purely as a celebration regardless if it is one or not.
    It's not a celebration of a sin, and oddly the very things you would help them with is the purpose of a shower. Go figure.
    The celebrating a sin card is getting quite old. Surely you can do better...
    See above reply.

Who are you to compare a child conceived out of wedlock to murder?

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, for those who oppose, here's a question:

This is how our church handles it with members:

Suppose a girl gets pregnant out of wedlock. Her and the boy (if either/both are members) confess publicly, and agree to step down from leadership positions for a season.

Can the shower then be held, with no penalty in the afterlife? :D

19. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The Bible says that children are a blessing, it does not say that children are a blessing IF the parents are married.

With a shower, I would be celebrating the impending birth of a child and supporting the mother's decision to let her baby live---not the sin of conceiving out of wedlock.

The Blood either covers ALL sins or NO sins... Why squabble over which is the worst sin?

20. matt wade

No the shower should not be held.

Now, my hypothetical situation:

Two women in your church come forward and admit they are homosexuals and are going to adopt a child. Is it OK for the church to have a baby shower?

Obivously my answer is no. The baby shower is a celebration for the mother and this situation should not be celebrated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.