1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Babylon Being Rebuilt?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marcia, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What does this article mean in light of the prophecy in Jeremiah 50 that Babylon would never again be inhabited?

"Therefore the desert creatures will live there along with the jackals;
    The ostriches also will live in it,
    And it will never again be inhabited
    Or dwelt in from generation to generation.
    "As when God overthrew Sodom
    And Gomorrah with its neighbors," declares the LORD,
    "No man will live there,
    Nor will any son of man reside in it.

Will Babylon be rebuilt? Is the prophecy above about a future destruction of Babylon that has not yet occurred?

I am posting this here rather than Current Events since I think this could bring up a good Bible discussion of Babylon and its meaning, both in the OT and NT. The author of this article claims Bible prophecy is that Babylon will be rebuilt.

Source
    http://www.worldviewtimes.com/article.php/articleid-4613/Brannon-Howse/Joel-Rosenberg

Additionally, here is another article on several views of prophecies about Babylon:
    http://www.tektonics.org/guest/babylonzero.html

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So will Babylon be rebuilt?

Has Babylon been inhabitited all along and what does this mean in light of the OT prophecies about Babylon?

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It seems no one find this of import. I probably should have posted it in the Other Christian denominations forum.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If it is rebuilt I would like to see it. and I hope they don't forget the Hanging Gardens.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

VEry thought provoking, and maybe everyone is like me not knowing what to think of it :)

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I guess I'm in the same boat, which is why I was looking for other ideas! :laugh:

I think I would need to study scriptures on this first then read some commentaries on it. the owner of the site whose article I posted at the bottom of the OP states this (in refutation of a skeptic claiming that Babylon has been inhabitated):

7. Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Marcia,

My understanding is that the Old Testament prophecies spoke of Babylon as a type and shadow of latter day Jerusalem and the fate that was to befall her in the day God visited her in the person of the Son. Her complete and utter destruction in the last days of the Old Covenant was the subject of fully half of all Old Testament prophecies, most of which were spoken in symbolic language so that those upon whom these prophecies came to pass would not recognize the times in which they were living. The Jerusalem of the Old Covenant now lies buried beneath 30 feet of rubble.

The other half of Old Testament prophecies foretold the glories of New Jerusalem and the blessings of those who dwell within her walls.

In Christ,
    Pilgrimer