1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Back to Christmas

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I wouldn't have guessed that of James Dobson! Does he believe that a perfect sinless state can be acheived in this life? He doesn't seem legalistic to me. But then I only listened to him on the radio occassionally. I really haven't read much of his work save some family things.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought you must have hit your head or started attending an IFB church recently :)

3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My church is having problems and we almost did because of the kids group. I can't swallow the KJO though. The people are nice if not a little judgemental. But I fell comfortable enough fellowshiping after all we sing the same hymns.

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Actually, Looking at a Nazarene site it seems these guys are very close to Holiness pentecostals who both connect themselves to Weslyan Holiness. So, Yeah I think I can do them. Just Less COGOP (Church of God of Prophesy) charism with the shouting and running the aisles. Though I'll need a white hankercheif. And if any one swoons let me know.

We are called to be a holy sanctified people of God. God cannot empower you if you aren't leading your life under his lordship. Celebrating Christmas in this sense can be very problematic under Christ's Lordship as we seek to gain his blessings because we are allying ourselves with the world's values.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sarcasm brother & if you know me...big sarcasm..lol

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's good to be the King...LOL

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets just have a group hug, Toast Christmas with an alcoholic drink of choice & leave the Legalism to the Legalistic. Amen

BTW..... the new LED lights are great (energy efficient & look good too). I also put a big plastic Frosty out in the front yard & we sing Christmas carols & drink hot coco with marshmallow's ....OK? :tongue3:

8. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hi Salty. I also don't observe, and I agree the apostolic church of the Jew had reason to observed for this is of their heritage. That is snot my heritage.

I'm a Wednesday man as it is the only dayy that is possible to accomplish three full days, and nights in the earth. I see in His Word two risings, and the first is on the Saturday Sabbath.

9. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Celebrate AND Witness

Seems the part that gets lost on many Christians it that Christmas is a very opportune time to point others to Christ.

We should be thinking ahead and staying alert for those opportunities.

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Yes!!! This thread just got even better.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, IMO it would disqualify them as Baptists.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not all denominations have been following it.
    Not all denominations qualify as being Christian.
    Not all in all denominations are Christian.
    There may be some in all denominations that may be Christian, but that would be in spite of the denomination, not because of it.
    Most Baptist denominations do NOT follow a liturgical calendar.

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

That's completely asinine. They are traditions that help in the remembrance of Christ's life. It is about remembrance and devotion. Most people celebrate some of it...holy week...Christmas...more and more Baptists all the time are celebrating Advent.

To say it disqualifies them as Baptists is unnecessarily pejorative and divisive. Beyond that, it's ridiculous.

When did I say that all in all denominations are Christians? I didn't. When did I say all denominations have been following it? I didn't. When did I say most Baptist denominations do NOT follow a liturgical calendar? I didn't. I happen to follow it for the most part and am part of a church that does, as well.

This reflects a thorough and complete misunderstanding of what I said.

Of course, most of us follow at least a few selected parts of it. Funny that they celebrate the feasts but not the fasts.

#93 jaigner, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
  14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, they are not simply traditions. Traditions have meanings. And if you are not willing to follow through with the meaning of the tradition then you ought to stay away from the tradition. This tradition is mainly Roman Catholic. Even apart from Roman Catholicism what is the meaning of it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday

How much time do you spend in repentance and in genuine mourning over the sins that you have repented of during this day? Does the day have THAT much meaning to you, or is it just one of those meaningless traditions that marks up a calendar.

Its association with Catholicism is all the more to stay away from it.
    Come from among them and be ye separate saith the Lord.
    Have no fellowship with the works of darkness.
    The message of the RCC is indeed a message of darkness that sends people to hell. It is a message of works and not of grace. One cannot believe in the message of the RCC and go to heaven. Why be associated with those who preach a hellish message of a false gospel??

#94 DHK, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
  15. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Great post.

It reminds me of a day a few years ago one of my students asked me what I was giving up for lent. I replied that I didn't have enough to give up. I told then that I could come no where near sacrificing what Jesus sacrificed for me.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Does all this mean that I am not a Baptist if I eat pancakes on Pancake Tuesday?

17. targus

targus New Member

What happened to soul liberty?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Better make a motion to kick Tiny Tim out of his baptist association, then. Besides, the majority of baptists I know hold to the Roman Catholic doctrine of original sin by Augustine.

19. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Can you define your use of LOL? Lots of Luck, or Laugh Out Loud.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I could

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.