1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

back to the basics

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Feb 27, 2008.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Was Abraham baptised in water?

God Bless! :thumbs:

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Ok, so John's baptism was unto repentance... Correct?

He that is coming after him is Christ.. Correct?

What then does John mean by, "he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost"?

If your answer fits this verse then I agree;

Ro 6:4 (KJV) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Can you show me anyone who needed more than faith to be saved?

Eph 2:7 (KJV) That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
    8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    what are we to do with this verse Sarge? Should I scratch out "death" and write in "water"?

5. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Why would Abraham have been baptized in water? I don't recall it being commanded of him.

6. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Paul believed and had been praying and fasting for three days before Ananias came to him (Acts 9:6-9). Yet, when Ananias came, the only thing that Paul was commanded to do (9:6 - "...it shall be told the what thou must do."), was, "...Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).

Unless one can be saved and still be in his sins, then Paul needed more than faith to be saved.

7. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Perhaps we could think about what baptism could be described as a burial, or might be seen as a likeness of Jesus' death.

8. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Regarding Mt 3:11, we need to realize that not all promises are universally applicable. For instance, God's promise to bless all nations through Abraham's seed (Gen 22:18). It did not apply to every child ever born to him, but went through Isaac, and then of his children, through Jacob, and on down the line through Judah.

The promise that Christ would baptize with the Holy Ghost was given in a broad sense by John, but specifically by Christ only to the apostles.

Act 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

The "all flesh" aspect of Joel's prophesy is fulfilled in Acts 10 when Cornelius & Co receive the "like gift" as the apostles did in Acts 2.

Holy Spirit baptism did not happen to every convert in the NT, and it does not occur today.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Would he have asked, "Lord, what would you have me to do" if he didn't have faith? Would Paul had been on the street called strait in the house of Judas praying if he didn't have faith? Would Paul of anxiously awaited the arrival of Ananias, a Christian if he didn't have faith?

Is this Paul's account from that same meeting, "1Co 15:8 (KJV) And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time."? I believe Paul had saving faith before he got up off the ground.

10. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

The baptism commanded in the Great Commission was to last for all time, and was to be administered by men. The only baptism that can be administered by man is water baptism. Holy Spirit baptism was administered only by Christ.

Water baptism is the "one baptism".

11. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Paul certainly had faith before he got off the ground. But he was still in his sins until he was baptized. Can one be saved and still be in his sins?

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Jesus came through this same lineage and IS the blessing to all the nations...

Ac 1:8 (KJV) But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Don't stop there, read the next verse in Joel...

Joel 2:29 (KJV) And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

I don't know if your theory holds truth???

14. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't know about that, I thought we BELIEVED unto righteousness...

Ro 10:9 (KJV) That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
    10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
    11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Sure worked for Abraham and the list of folks in Heb 11...

15. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Preach it!

in Christ,

Bob

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yep That is it exactly!

Amen!

in Christ,

Bob

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Joel 2 was fulfilled in Acts 2 as Acts states.

However Joel 2 is also specific about it's application going to the "last days" and so there is another Joel 2 event coming.

in Christ,

Bob

18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How does he get his sins washed away?

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then more was required of Paul to be saved then was required for Abraham to be saved? Is this "two" faiths?

20. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Exactly. Jesus came through a specific lineage from Abraham. The promise to bless all nations through the seed of Abraham did not apply to all of Abraham's descendants, but was specifically applied to a very small percentage of them.

Likewise, the promise that Jesus would baptize with the Holy Ghost did not apply to all people, but was fulfilled on a couple of small groups: the apostles and the household of Cornelius.

#60 Sgt. Fury, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2008