1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Background: Catholic Bishop Helps Evangelicals in Mexico

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by CarpentersApprentice, Dec 15, 2007.

1. CarpentersApprentice

Following up on the now closed thread ("Catholic church STILL PERSECUTES Christians") I'd like to highlight a few quotes from the article I posted there that gives a little history and tells the other side of the story. (The article is six pages long so I can understand if you did not read it.)

Chemnitz and tinytim pointed out that knee-jerk anti-Catholicism is not always warranted and this article made the same point. From the article:

Evangelicals and Catholics in Chiapas: conflict and reconciliation - southern Mexico (Christian Century, Feb 19, 1997 by Paul Jeffrey)

"In 1992 the diocese (the Roman Catholic diocese of San Cristobal de las Casas in the southernmost Mexican state of Chiapas) began a unique outreach ministry to evangelicals who had been expelled from their homes and fields in San Juan Chamula."

"While some would characterize the conflict as a religious battle between a Catholic majority and an evangelical minority, the roots are more economic and political."

"Concerned about the repeated expulsions of evangelicals (by the political bosses) ... Catholic Bishop Samuel Ruiz in 1992 asked Josefina de la Torre, a sister of the Community of Mary, to organize a ministry to the expelled."

"Ruiz's crossing of religious borders has been criticized by Mexico's entrenched political elite."

"the traditional Catholics of San Juan Chamula maintain a tenuous link with the official church. They broke off relations with the San Cristobal de las Casas diocese because they feared Ruiz would force them to abandon their unusual rites."

"One of the main fears of PRI leaders is that the evangelicals will link up with the Zapatistas...'

"It's unusual to find evangelicals who thank the Lord for armed revolutionaries, but in the organized evangelical neighborhoods surrounding San Cristobal de las Casas, people morally support the Zapatistas and deliver their votes to the leftist PRD. The ruling PRI fears them just as it fears the Zapatistas... "

"The expelled evangelicals I spoke with don't have any problem with Bishop Ruiz, and many affectionately refer to him as Tatic, the Tzotzil word for 'Great Father.' They see him, as well as Josefina de la Torre and (other staff), as people truly interested in their welfare, people who aren't going to patronize or proselytize them. 'Our problem isn't with the bishop,... but with those Catholics who refuse to hear the word of God.'"

(Granted that this article is 10 years old, but neither the original article in the now-locked post, or this article give any indication that the actions of a few renegade Catholics are approved of by the Catholic Church.)

CA

2. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Thank you, Carpenter's Apprentice, for sharing this with us.

One of the reasons I have not participated on this board lately is because anti-Catholic tirades which care nothing for the facts have become so prevalent.

I am not Catholic, but it bothers me greatly to see how much some people here seem to want everyone to hate Catholic people. Attacking their real religious tenets evidently is not enough to these people; provoking bad feelings toward the people seems to be a primary objective.

I wish people who claim to serve Jesus Christ would find better things to do than spend hours upon hours encouraging people to hate certain people. Jesus Christ taught us to do the opposite.

So I thank you for taking the trouble to be fair and give us this information.

What renegade Catholics do in remote Latin American areas does not necessarily have the approval of the Vatican. What renegade Catholics do in Latin America should not be `avenged' with bad feelings toward Christian Catholics and non-Christian Catholics here in the United States.

#2 Darron Steele, Dec 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  3. antiaging

antiaging New Member

That is nice if they were real evangelicals and not catholic undercover agents pretending to be evangelicals. [Former Jesuit, Alberto Rivera, Nino Lobello, and James Wylie, in his book, THE HISTORY OF PROTESTANTISM, all talk of roman catholic spies that have been infiltrating protestant churches for centuries. They serve the vatican while pretending to be members of other religions.]
    This is the main way they try to pull all churches under the control of the vatican.---The falling away from the faith or apostacy prophecied in 2 Thessalonians 2:3; otherwise called the ecumenical movement.
    With this sort of undercover activity going on, don't be too quick to believe anything at face value. Look deeper into it; things are happening behind the scenes.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We just learned of 60,000 baptism in one single year in Perue 2007 - but this was done under extreme persecution from the RCC. They had to conduct about 15000 home Bible study groups then have a 1 month blitz of an evangelist coming through in one single month to present the closing meeting and baptize the candidates in organized meetings.

The evangelists had to be in and out of a given meeting at a given location within a few days to so that the RCC opposition to Chrisitan evangelism could come in and shut down the meetings.

Praise God for the work being done in Perue!

You see - we can simply highlight successes!

in Christ,

Bob

#4 BobRyan, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2007
  5. CarpentersApprentice

It does get tiresome, but I do think that the moderators do a pretty good job of quelling the strident members.

CA

6. CarpentersApprentice

Please clarify.

Are you saying that the Evangelicals being persecuted by the "traditional Catholics" are actually Catholics pretending to be Evangelicals?

CA

7. CarpentersApprentice

Well... how about that!

I don't see anything wrong with highlighting and discussing differences (or failures) as long as those diffferences/failures are based on facts and not conspiracy theories, overgeneralizations, 3rd-hand accounts, or deliberate misinformation.

CA