1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bad Call, or What?!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by robycop3, Oct 3, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who saw the Texans-Bengals game Oct.2, I'd like to ask if your judgment agrees with mine.

With about 3 minutes to go in the game, Houston had the ball, and was driving, albeit not too easily, and were around their own 40. Texans' QB David Carr's arm was hit as he started to throw, but he completed an awkward throwing motion, propelling the ball forward. THE BALL WAS NOT KNOCKED FROM HIS HAND; HE PROPELLED IT FORWARD ENTIRELY BY HIS OWN VOLITION! The ball landed on the ground & was grabbed by a Bengal. The officials ruled it a fumble, and, after a challenge /review, upheld their decision!

The TV crew showed a situation in which Tom Brady, playing in snow, started to throw a pass, but pulled the ball in a split-second before he was hit & the ball knocked loose...and which was ruled an INCOMPLETE PASS!

I mean, let's be FAIR! I generally support the Bengals & they had a very large chance of winning the game anyhow, but they didn't need THAT kinda help. Had the ball itself been hit by a Bengal while still in Carr's hand, or Carr's arm been hit FROM BEHIND,thus knocking it forward, I coulda supported the fumble call...but clearly Carr's arm was hit FRONTALLY, and a split-second later, Carr brought it FORWARD. CARR ALONE made the ball go FORWARD. Therefore it shoulda been an incomplete pass. I've seen a lot less-obvious incidents of the QB's arm being hit or grabbed just as he was trying to throw, with the ball not going forward one inch, & the arm barely moving forward, that was ruled a pass. I believe the league office should review the tapes of that poor call.

WHAT SAYEST THOU?

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

They did'nt televize that one out here but it sounds like a good one.

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Seems like there have been more "blown"calls this year than ever before so early in the season.
    Saw the Texans' game on TV and agree with you that they "was robbed".

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BILL...

They didn't telly the Seahawk game here, but I heard there was a similar call in their game.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't seen that play either, but I think the rule should be that the ball must be airborne from the passer's hand-- that is, in the air, albeit just an inch, before a defender touches it, to be called a pass rather than a fumble. Not just "his arm was going forward." I have seen skillful passers with the rusher right on them who make the throwing motion and have had it ruled an incomplete pass just to avoid losing a fumble. If a defender gets a hand on the ball before it leaves the passer's hand it should be a fumble, a free ball. I think this "airborne" rule, which could be detected on replay at least 4/5 of the time, would just make it more definitive.