1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bad Precedent

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

BB has been reformatted a couple of times. Some of you will remember when this new software was put in place. When changes like that take place not everything changes over as smoothly as it ought to. For example, the board says it has been in existence for six years, but as you can see in the corner of my post I have been a member since July 2000. The numbers and statistics go back only as far as the software does. But other changes have also been made in the growing pains of the Baptist Board.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I miss all of them already. :tear:

3. kubel

kubel New Member

Same here. I'm just a guest and don't have any say in BB decision-making, but I feel it was poor judgment to come to a decision to massively ban people like that. I don't feel their beliefs were so extreme that they merited complete separation. I find discussing doctrines by weighing all viewpoints and comparing them to scripture (such as we often do here) to be a good tool in rightly dividing the word of truth, as long as it's done with mutual respect and in the right spirit.

If we choose to not communicate with anyone that holds to a different position than our own, we will soon find ourselves very, very lonely. I personally don't take separation to the extreme that the Amish, for example, do. I have a Catholic (heresy) friend and feel comfortable discussing the doctrinal differences we have.

We all have friends and family that have different beliefs (yes, even heretical beliefs), yet I doubt many of us would separate ourselves from them like the group that got separated from these boards.

Of course, this forum is privately run, and can be administered however the owners and leaders decide. But I respectfully disagree with their decision. Hopefully it doesn't set a bad precedent of massive banning based on beliefs.

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I agree with you when it comes to our personal lives. However I do believe it is a poor analogy to this situation. Since this entire board is set up with Baptist standards, especially the Baptist only sections, I think the management has a responsibility to adhere to those standards. What happens when a newly saved person comes here for guidance or answers? Should they be subjected to being persuaded to believe the ME heresy? If management allowed a heresy to be pushed in the Baptist only section, they are in effect endorsing it, because of the doctrinal standards they have set as a condition to post here. Management by setting up those standards does then have a responsibility to ensure that they are kept.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I agree that damnable heresy should not be permitted.
    There are non essentials that we should discuss but to say that anything should be permitted as long as attitude is ok is to say that Hindu's should be allowed to be here as long as they are nice.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But is every "damnable heresy" that passes through the BB going to be condemned and is every single poster who participates in the discussions of every "damnable heresy" going to be banned?

I didn't read any of the ME threads and don't really know what it is.

But I have seen some non-essentials on the BB that aren't biblical and have caused pain and grief..........LOTS of it over the last 5 years and from some pretty good people.

What do we do about those people and those posts?

Are there really any NON-essentials in the scripture?

I just have a problem with mass bannings after sweeping other posts under the rug that are just as unbiblical.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Although I do not agree, lots of people would say Calvinism is a heresy.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.