1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bah humbug...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by TaterTot, Dec 17, 2004.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I saw that thread after I started this one, but there was nothing i could do about it then. Different content, though, I believe.

I talked to my mother last night about the overgiving - she was naming all she has for them - like 28 gifts apiece. I told her it bothered me some that the other grandkids werent treated equally. She admitted she knew she did this but couldnt help it. She "just loves them so much". I am just gonna let it ride, I guess.

2. PastorLynn

PastorLynn New Member

Whoa! 28 gifts each!! That is entirely too much. You need to put your foot down and tell your mom in no uncertain terms that that is going way overboard. It is going to create problems for you in the future. When they are older and ask you for something that you think they should not have or that you cannot afford they will think you are mean or a tightwad and will run to grandma. It is not fair to you, your husband or the girls. If you're not careful they will become spoiled brats in that respect.

Tell your mom that two or 3 gifts is enough and to put the excess money that she would spend each year on birthdays and Christmas into a trust fund for the girls (with you and your husband as co-trustees) so that they will have money for college or to purchase a home when they marry.

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I agree with what you'all have posted. For the last 5 years (since I became disabled); we've been able to keep gifts simple. And guess what, the kids and grandkids have taken up the ball and are excited about doing the same. Two years ago, my Present to my children and grandchildren was to ask them to stand in serving line with me and pass out meals to the homeless. They had a blast!
    Merry Christmas and God Bless.
    WallyGator

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I wish I could have that problem in a way. Right now we are in a pinch financially, and cannot afford to buy our children any Christmas gifts.
    For the last five years or so my parents have been given us an amount of money that averaged to $20.00 a child, and let us do the shopping for them. That worked out fine for the younger ones were easier to please on less money than the older ones. It all worked out in the end.
    They surprised us this year when they bought individual gifts for everyone. They haven't done that for a long time. With both my parents in their '80's, that took more sacrifice, so their gifts will be all that much more appreciated.

As for this "Santa" all that I can say is that "I am sure my children will understand."
    DHK

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Tater! That's insane. My kids receive one gift each from me on Christmas. They pick it out themselves and we wrap it and wait until Christmas. Yet, they still insist on leaving feed for Santa's reindeer and this year plan on trying to sneak a peek at Santa. I don't get it! They KNOW where the presents come from because they pick them out and buy them with me!

Tell your mamma that you love her and that you are thrilled that she cares about your kids this much, but that you're afraid the real meaning of Christmas zooms right over their heads in the face of this much receiving. Ask her gently if she'd like to pick out a couple of the ones she thinks the kids will like best, then go with you and the children and distribute the rest of her gifts to the poor.
    Gina

6. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We had Christmas with grandma today. She left some of the gifts at home and decided to save them for birthdays. They still got (each) a baby (with a bassinet/rocker combo), baby stroller, leap frog learning pad, another baby and baby carrier, large glowing ballerina statue, video, game, hat and mittens, panties, big stuffed gingerbread man, and a toy laptop learning center. Then together, they got a blow-up jumping thing (about the size of a blow-up swimming pool) and a see-saw type thingy with a big ball under the seat so they can bounce around in circles.
    I am relieved that she left some at home, but I still think it was waaaaaaay too much.

Who needs Santa when ya got grandma?
    I like the suggestions you all have made, and I think I will try them. I oughtta print this thread and let her read it.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Tater......Grandma IS Santa! [​IMG]