1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bailey Smith - Why Churches Are Dying.

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Maverick, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What concerns me about many churches is that they emphasis entertainment over evangelism in their worship services. That is one thing I constantly wrestle with as I consider entering the ministry--I want to evangelize, and not entertain; that is why I would feel uncomfortable in many contemporary churches.

2. td

td New Member

Mr. Edwards,

What would you classify as "entertainment" ? What do you classify as a "contemporary church"? What churches have you been to that emphasize "entertainment"? What is your method of evangelism? Just a few questions to think about...

3. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

See, I feel there is a time and a need for "entertainment" to be in use to reach the lost or to reach christians struggling. There are also times to have a more evangelistic approach as well, both have their places and needs.

I know there have been times I was hurting and went to a service or an event and saw a funny play or heard a funny christian comedian or musician and they made me laugh so hard but then the message made me think and in a lot of cases helped me to understand what was going on in my life a bit clearer. God uses tools of every kind, I suppose it's wherever you feel led of God to be.

karen

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smith forgot to mention that the SBC is in bed with the world, adopting its methods for the presentation of the Bible.

Two good examples are the:

Good News Ocean [Apostasy]

and

Truth [Lackers]

Now this year's VBS theme:

Amazon Outfitters. Puh-leeeze!

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Brother Bailey knows what he's talking about. I was with my mom in the hospital recently and we had opportunity to tune into a local cable company's religious broadcasting. There were at least 3 different denominations represented. Catholic, Methodist, and Southern Baptist. I am a SBC Preacher but vowed not to be biased in the broadcast I watched.

The Catholic service--God help us!--just as spiritually empty--it was indiscribable just how empty it was--and I thought--"Lord! Its no wonder noone wants to go to church! Listen to that service! To that mass! All of those Hail Mary's!" Every Hail Mary was a slap in the face of Jesus! Then the cameras fanned the worship center--just a spackleing of folks. I'd stay home too if that's the best that priest could come up with!!

The Methodist service was good. Probably the best that the city of Baton Rouge had. The preaching was on target--zeroed in on Jesus!

The Southern Baptist church--Walker Baptist Church to be honest--was top notch! The singing was genuine and the preaching was again zeroed in on Jesus. They fanned the worship center with the camera--not an empty seat in the house!

Brother Smith is right--people today don't hear what they use to. As he would say, "You preachers need to get back to preaching Heaven is Sweet and Hell is hot and Eternity is too long a time to be without Jesus!"

6. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Entertainment. How about over emphasis on music and media? One church I ministered in cut the Sunday PM service out because the musicians did not want to practice for two services. Well, then sing a capella for cryin' out loud. One lady asked me to lead a Bible Study and I told her get at least three others interested and agree on a time. We have from 12-20 and when did they choose to meet? Sunday PM and we din't sing at all. We stopped an opportunity to disciple because of the music. Balderdash and poopycock.

Contemporary to me is folks who can't make it in a real rock and roll band swaying to lyrics of fluff with the volume cranked up like a night club. The gals are usually in spray tight jeans and tops looking real close to the Go-Go girls of the sixties breathing heavy/singing into mike singing a song you can't tell if it is a song to her lover or Jesus. I was saved out of that nonsense from the 60's and have no desire to go back to it.

Now, not all contemporary music is bad. I have heard some good songs, but most are too easily played on the pop side of the radio and if they will play it it t'ain't real Christian cuz they don't like Christians. So, if they like your song it ain't even skim milk let alone a testimony and most of the performers' testimonies are even questionable because I have seen some of their quotes. Theology/doctrine is not their strong suit and the songs should have strong and solid theology. I did not agree with all of Keith Green's theology but many of his lyrics made me fall on my face and cry out to God to make me more holy. Very few songs that I have heard lately make me do that. I do like Poet Voices, which do some things that might be considered contemporary. I pretty much stick to Southron Gospel and some Christian country and of course the old hymns have better lyrics in most cases than anything written in the last 50 years at least. I would not be opposed to doing something the tune of Holy, Holy, Holy or How Firm A Foundation and A Mighty Fortress because the lyrics need to be heard by the comtemporary crowd.