1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Balanced Economic Model?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Andy T., Feb 17, 2009.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Uhh? How do you know this? What empirical data do you have to show this? Nothing. In fact, it is opposite. When we have a recession, the luxury businesses like yachts usually struggle big time. Why? Because rich people aren't buying them, because (a) they don't have as much money, or (b) they're worried they won't have as much money, so they avoid buying a new yacht. And the same reasoning applies to any tax cut a rich guy might receive. Give him more money and he's likely to spend more, spurring economic growth. And even if he puts it in the bank or invests it, that is money circulating in the private sector, which also goes to spur economic growth.

More conjecture. And even if remotely true, why are you so stingy that you don't want a foreigner to have a good job?

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>What do you think rich people do with their money?

They put it into tax deferred trusts and pass it on to their children.

>Why do you completely ignore the fact that if I put my money in a bank, that is economic activity???

It is an economic activity. So is selling dope and robbing banks.

>What's with the resentment of rich folks?

Rich folk are no less evil than the rest of us. It is human nature to establish a pecking order. If we lived under a pure communism there would still be a pecking order. As On the Space Ship Enterprise, for example.

>How many poor people have ever given you (or anyone you know) a job?

Jobs are not "given." I recently paid a plumber cash to do a job in my house. We traded my cash for his labor. No one gave anything to anyone.

>What's this "we" business on the poor stuff?

People on welfare live better than King Solomon. <G>

>Most of us wouldn't have lasted a month in the Great Depression, when real poor people abounded.

Going to find out in the next few years. Americans are fast learners.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

So...you know every rich person? You know they all do this? And don't they have the freedom to do so? If it's their money, why can't they do this?

What a monumentally stupid comparison. Putting money in the bank is not the same as selling dope. Please tell me your brain functions on some level.

Please tell me you understand economics better than this. Do poor people start many businesses?

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Yea, I'm sure that's going to happen.

You might as well just shine a big bat emblem up in the night sky and wait for Spiderman to appear.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I simply look at Bill Gates and say to myself, it doesn't take a tax break for Bill to buy a yacht. If he wants one he will buy it.

Trickle down economics clearly didn't work unless you're on the top. Nothing trickled to those at the bottom which is why I say it failed.

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

You should look at Bill Gates and say to yourself that there's a man that got rich by providing society with products and services that society (that includes you and I) found to be very desirable.

As long as he earned his money honestly, then he deserves every penny of it. Whether he voilated unenforced anti-trust laws after gaining near-monopoly power in the market might be debatable, but the core principle is still true - we need men like Gates to make life better for the rest of us.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contrary to claims libbies believe in trickle down economics the same as conservatives.

We believe it trickles down from the free market. Libbies believes it trickles down from the government.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with everything you said, my point was, Bill doesn't wait for a tax cut to by a yacht. If he wants one he'll just get it. I believe that's one of the best things about being rich, you don't have to clip coupon's, wait for sales or depend on tax cuts. You want it just go get it...

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is exactly right. Six months from now we are going to wonder where all this money from the trillion dollar bailout went, just like we are wondering now where the trillion dollars from late last year went. Government can only help the economy in limited ways, the main one being a tax cut and getting out of the way so the economy can correct itself.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

What about the guy who makes $750,000 a year, instead of Gates who rakes in a billion a year? The 750k guy is rich, right? And there are a lot more like him than the uber-rich Gates. But a guy who makes 750k a year just can't buy a yacht on a whim. He will need to save for a few years, if not several. But he's still rich, and he also pays a lot of taxes - probably 50% including state and local. If we cut everyone's taxes, including the 750k guy, he is more likely to be able to spend money on a yacht or a vacation home, which helps the builders and sellers of those products.

You act like America is living in abject poverty. Your broad-brushed statements are ridiculous. We live in the most prosperous nation in history. Our middle class, even the lower middle class live like kings compared to the vast majority of people in the world. The banking and mortgage system failed, which has had huge repercussions through the entire world economy. This economic crisis has nothing whatsoever to do with low taxation. If anything, taxes are still too high, and if they were lower, then we wouldn't be in such bad shape.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Of course, instead of waiting for the "trickle," one could do what generations before have done, and go make one's own way...and not wait for the government to provide it.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That's debatable, in the past a Millionaire was rich... Now days they go broke like the rest of us. However, if a person making $750K is practically living within their means then they will have no problem buying any reasonable wish and won't need a tax cut to do it.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Trickle down was not the government proving you substance, it was Reagan belief that if we take care of the rich the fortunes would trickle down to the working people. Instead, the rich off shored our jobs so they can get even richer and those at the bottom waiting for the tickle got a dry well or laid off...

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Reasonable by whose standards?

Do you really not see how silly what you are saying is? I find it hard to imagine ...

The idea that people who pay more for one thing won't be affected in buying something else is only true perhaps for the uber-rich. Even a millionaire has to make choices about what to buy and what not to buy.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

LeBuick:

How much of a millionaire's money do you have a right to? Put a figure out there.

16. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

You make no sense. As PL pointed out, even the millionaire needs to have some discretion in what they buy - i.e., they live by a budget. The 750k guy might be able to buy a yacht right away if he cuts back on other things, like living in a 1-bedroom apt. and driving a beater. But if he gets a tax cut, then that frees up money for him to maybe go buy a new house (helping the contractors) or a nice new car (helping the line workers). But as long as the government keeps it, it does not spur the same economic activity that the free market does.

17. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

James 5:1-5
    1 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you.
    2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes.
    3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days.
    4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty.
    5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.
    (NIV)

18. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My ideas might have been silly if it weren't for the fact that someone has to pay for the war's we're fighting. Two wars aren't cheap you know.

19. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You think wars are expensive, try the bailout and entitlements. The US is on the hook for 65 trillion dollars. The war is far less than that.

But you didn't answer the question: Who gets to decide what is reasonable for someone to buy?

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

$10 Billion a month sure isn't cheap to me but I don't make that kind of loot... You must make that kind of cash since you think it isn't expensive.

The same person who decided all those homeowners bought homes they couldn't afford.