1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Bapticostal" Challenges Baptists on Tongues

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Sep 8, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither of them are dispensationalists. The further one gets from dispensationalism the more likely they are to follow the kind of exegesis that believes sign gifts were not just for Christ and the newly birthed church. It may seem strange that a reformed type like Piper is open to such doctrine, but allegorical interpretation allows for such exegesis. The Charismatic movement made massive inroads into the reformed denominations early on, I recall.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, I don't want to defend Piper's conclusion since I don't agree with it. But his interpretation doesn't appear to be an allegorical one, IMO. The foundation of his conclusion is based on his understanding of I Cor. 13. For example, he writes, "In 1 Corinthians 13:8-12, there is a clear teaching that not only were these things not temporary, they were meant to last till Jesus comes."

Also I am curious how being a dispensationalist defends against this interpretation and the charismatic movement? Most dispensationalists start the church dispensation at Pentecost, which comes in with gifts and is followed by them throughout much of the book of Acts. I guess I can see where those who start a new dispensation somewhere around Acts 28 might have a built-in protection against signs and wonders, but I'm not sure how you would mean standard dispensationalism wards it off. Please explain. Thanks.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm waiting with you on this one, JoJ!

I'm disappointed to hear about Piper and Carson as well. But I'm learning not to look to any human as some kind of flawless model -- too many leading evangelicals have fallen into some muddy waters, imo, or at least slip in them.

I see we have some new icons!

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, his interpretation is not allegorical, but fairly loose. Allowing allegorical interpretation opens the way to loose exegesis. There is nothing in the context to indicate that this refers to Christ. In fact, in the NT there is no place where the word used here refers to Christ, but there are many places where it refers to maturity in believers.

Dispensationalism treats the Acts miracles as what they are almost invariably called in the original: "signs." What were the signs for? It was vital for the foundation that was the apostolic church to be attested to by signs, that is miracles that authenticated the teaching. However, there is nothing in the early church fathers to indicate that such gifts lasted beyond the days of the book of Acts. The need had ceased.

Let me hasten to say that I believe in miracles and have seen them--by answers to prayer, just like any other believer, not by my authority as a missionary.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And with a genuine disciple of Piper or Carson, woe be to the one who dares to disagree with them! I saw this time after time with disciples of my grandfather. To this day folks are occasionally amazed that I dare to disagree on a few things with such a great man of God. In fact, I had to disagree with him to come to Japan. He didn't think I should, but God had called me and I had to come. After all, I'm a disciple of Jesus, not John R. Rice! :type:

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

A disciple of Jesus . . . now that is what we need more of.