1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptism necessary for salvation?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Tricia, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Tricia

Tricia New Member

I've noticed on the internet that I am in the minority believing baptism is NOT necessary to be saved and go to heaven. I'm finding out more and more Christians do believe you have to be baptized to be "properly" saved.

What is your take on this subject?

wisdom_seeker

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

No you do not have to be baptized to be saved. No where in the Bible does it say that you MUST be baptized to be saved. Several times however people are saved without ever being baptized, and several times it does say that faith is all you need to be saved.

UNP, Adam

3. Bro. Lee

Bro. Lee New Member

all who call upon the name of the lord shall be saved. enough said

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't think your in the minority.
    I don't believe baptism is a part of salvation.

5. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Saint Luke 23
    And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
    But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
    And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
    And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
    And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Baptism is non-salvific.

May God bless you

- Clint

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Clint Kritzer ]

6. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Dear wisdom_seeker,

If baptism were required for salvation, then salvation would be based on works, not faith. Read carefully how Jesus turned this very question around:

John 6:28-29 (NIV)
    28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
    29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

Baptism is a commandment: "Go and baptize . . ." It is an act of obedience designed to edify existing believers and witness to non-believers.

7. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

Ya know, I don't believe baptism is needed for salvation either but there is a verse that has always boggled my mind and perhaps you all can shed some light on it for me.

Repent and be baptised for the remission of sin.

Can someone please explain that in it's context because I've never fully understood it.

Thanks

karen

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Karen, this is going to be clear as mud; please read it at least twice before you tell me I make no sense at all, okay?

Peter was the one who said repent and be baptized for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38); Peter also makes a statement in 1 Peter 3:20 that has confused a lot of people: when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

This seems to indicate that Peter believed baptism was necessary for salvation. I say seems, because closer reading is required.

First off, ALL the words must be taken into account: while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Those that believe this verse tells us that baptism is necessary for salvation tend to put the emphasis on by water instead of the preposition wherein.

Why is that important? Because it's saying that it was the ark that saved, not the water. Look at Hebrews 11:7--By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house. Not a word about the water. So either this is contradicting what we find in 1 Peter 3:20, or 1 Peter 3:20 has to be read without the emphasis on the water.

And if we read 1 Peter 3:20 with the emphasis on the ark instead of the water, we find a picture of Christ: inside the ark is where Noah and his family were saved, and inside Christ is where we are saved.

With that in mind, the next verse in 1 Peter 3 (verse 21) makes a whole lot more sense: The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ

So how does all that equate with your question about Acts 2:38? Knowing what Peter thought about baptism helps put some of his other sayings in context. Baptism is still a commandment to be obeyed, and is our first act of obedience. In the context of "we should all be baptized, to obey God and to be in the like figure of Christ," Acts 2:38 makes a whole lot more sense.

Or it does to me, anyway....

Sorry if that didn't help a lick....

9. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Were Abraham, Moses, Isaac, Jacob, David et. al. saved? If so, would God add a works requirement to salvation by grace through faith after Christ has come? :eek:

10. ddavis

ddavis New Member

If there was another way to get heaven, then Chirst would not have had to die on the cross. He could have just stayed in heaven.
    Romans 10:13 says nothing about baptism.

11. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Redwhitenblue said, “Can someone please explain that in it's context because I've never fully understood it.” <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>“Repent” is second person imperative, indicating a mandate for all to repent. Repentance is a Christian absolute both doctrinally and experientially (Luke 13:3). “Be baptized” is third person passive imperative, thereby stressing individual responsibility to obey. To submit to such apostolic kerygma (Gk.), or “proclamation,” is one of the first outward evidences of the genuineness of repentance and faith. Baptism, therefore, follows justification and is not a prerequisite for salvation. Baptism is important; it is not, however, essential for salvation. These words might be understood to mean “because of the remission of sins.” See Matt. 12:41 where this same preposition (eis, Gk.) means “because”. -- New Geneva study Bible. 1997, c1995 (electronic ed.) (Ac 2:38). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

12. DocCas

DocCas New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by redwhitenblue:
    Repent and be baptised for the remission of sin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>redwhitenblue, this is one of those verses we read and think we understand until we think again. The English language is very interesting. The word "for" can mean two different things. "I went to the store for a loaf of bread." In that sentence "for" means "to get." But I could also say, "I went to the store for my wife." Now, in that sentence, it is obvious I did not go to the store to get my wife, but because my wife asked me to. "For" in the second example means "because of."

Other illustrations:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>I got a ticket for speeding.<LI>I got a medal for valor.<LI>My wife got a crown for beauty.[/list]Now we have to ask ourselves some questions:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Which came first, the ticket or the speeding?<LI>Which came first the medal or the valor?<LI>Which came first the crown or the beauty?[/list]Now let's look at your verse.

Repent and be baptised for the remission of sin.<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>baptized for the remission of sin.[/list]Now let's ask ourselves the same question.<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Which came first the baptism or the remission of sins?[/list]

It seems obvious to me that I got the ticket because I was already speeding, got the medal because I had already committed an act of valor, my wife got the crown because she was already beautiful, and I got baptized because I already had remission of sins.

Did that help? [​IMG]

13. Danette

Danette New Member

Actually, you're not in the minority -- you just happened into a pool of like-minded individuals, I guess. ;)

I believe Rom. 6 describes the "baptism" essential for salvation -- the reality of what has occurred in the spirit. Our ordinance of baptism is merely an outward testimony of the inward accomplished fact. Our baptism into Christ takes place at the moment of salvation BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH ALONE. No other baptism is needed for salvation.

-- Danette

14. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

Don and Tom

wow thanks so much, both were good explanations although I must say Tom's was a bit clearer lol but I got both points :D

Basically what I got out of that is....

Repent and be baptised (because) of the remission of sin.

karen

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "By jove, I think she's got it!" (My Fair Lady) [​IMG]

I was going to take time this afternoon and answer this, but two greater minds have ably shared the truth. Think that THIS is what the Webmaster envisioned when he established this BB - Baptists helping each other to grow in the Word!

16. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

I especially like Dr.C's illustration I believe says it very well.

I will add there has at times been a lack of emphasis on the importance of Baptism by modern Baptists. There is even some hyper dispensationalists who believe Baptism is unnecessary.

I am uncomfortable with the idea that some seem to express in Baptist circles that "Baptism is optional". It kinda sounds like going to Burger King when they ask would you like cheese with your Whopper. On the other hand I reject the idea of Baptismal regeneration.

I believe Baptism to be the outward and visible sign that one has received the new birth. To make a silly illustration, If one sees a Burger King sign one expects to find a restaurant. One would not expect the sign for a Burger King to be erected in an empty field nor would one expect to find a Burger King with no sign in front of it.

Is that illustation clear as mud?

17. Manstrom

Manstrom New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wisdom_seeker:
    I've noticed on the internet that I am in the minority believing baptism is NOT necessary to be saved and go to heaven. I'm finding out more and more Christians do believe you have to be baptized to be "properly" saved.

What is your take on this subject?

wisdom_seeker
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Baptism by immersion is an outward sign of an inward event. It is simply a symbolic death, burial, and resurection which is in obedience to Jesus Christ's command. While not essential to or for salvation, it is the first act of obedience which all new believers should perform.

Agape,

Mike

18. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Thanx to all who replied.

I needed that reassurance that people actually believe what I believe. :rolleyes:

wisdom_seeker

19. Rolcik

Rolcik New Member

WisomSeeker, where on the Internet have you encountered all of these mojority views?

Just curious...most on here seem to agree with you, but this is a Baptist Board, and I would expect they would agree with you 99% of the time on major theological teachings.

20. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

I don't see how it would be necessary to be baptized to be saved. That would make baptism a "work," that had to be performed by another, so in effect, your salvation would depend on another -- the priest, preacher, friend etc. A person's salvation depends on the free gift of grace given to you by God. You are regenerated, then have faith, then justified. That leaves no room for works-salvation.