1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptism question

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In this particular situation raised by the OP though...

God does not demand us to be perfect in all ways before baptism, but would expect us to have fornication repented off and stopped before proceeing,for to say Jesus is now my Lord, and contnue to wiffully be doing that, especially if known by others?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess the question would be whether or not this person was saved while living out of wedlock. Icon makes a good point that those identified by sin are not in heaven - if taken that the person must repent of that sin then there are many who's salvation would be questionable - e.g., John Calvin, Karl Barth (that's a big one), etc. While we still sin, that is not the defining mark of a Christian.

If the person was saved while a sinner (as we all were), then do we wait until he has searched his heart and repented of all known sin before we baptize (the command to be baptized comes last) - OR are we saved, baptized and then continue to work out our repentance?

The person has been "saved" for several months but is not convicted of his lifestyle so his salvation may be questionable to many and the pastor should probably sit down with him and discuss his salvation in detail.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that we must divide this issue into 2 parts...

Will he still living as is affect His salvation, that God cannot save him? NO, for salvation is the work of the Lord, and we ALL saved were in some type of known/unknown sinning going on...

Should he be batized though while living in such a state? i would say not, as IF he desires to have Jesus proclaimed to others as His Lord while being batized, how can he still be such a state?

To my understanding of what Baptize is a type of to us now, would be best to have Him reconcile his relation with the lady, then proceed to baptize!

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What you presented happens when some who have more than one wife come to know Jesus in some other countries. That man has taken the first step in following Jesus. I would start discipling him immediately. Many things will take care of themselves as he grows. We must use wisdom when we deal with people. When someone starts reading the Bible and the Holy Spirit starts to invade the person's life they are confronted by sin ion their life. Nobody would expect a child to act like a mature adult. Jesus takes us where we are but wants us to grow into mature adults. That does not happen in an instant and often not in ways we always expect.