1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist And The American Indian

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by tyndale1946, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Bible Student

Bible Student New Member

As I have read the posts here I felt that I should just remind us what the word of God says.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

The problem is the way mankind many times goes about giving our this message. Every nation and tongue needs to hear the message that Jesus Saves.

Richard [​IMG]

2. Graceforever

Graceforever New Member

tyndale1946,

“Where did the Indians get their beliefs if it wasn't from God?... Where did they get their laws that governed their lives and their interaction with each other and nature?...”

Romans 2:14. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves.

15. Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;

16. In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

17. Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

18. And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent being instructed out of the law;

19. And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,

20. An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.

BTW, good topic......

3. Haruo

Haruo New Member

Are Roger Williams' writings on this subject available online? It's been awhile since I read him on this, but he had some interesting speculations to add to the topic; nothing that will definitively answer the questions, but intriguing thoughts and observations nonetheless. I think the writings in question are in his "Key" to the Narragansett language.

Haruo

4. Haruo

Haruo New Member

Here's a facsimile of his title page (click) — I haven't found the whole text online yet.

5. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

It doesn't matter what we think, it only matters what God says about it.

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father but by Me."

There is one God, with one plan of salvation. All who would worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth. Otherwise, we should never tell anyone about salvation through Jesus and let them find their own way, if one way is as good as another. --> Then Jesus died in vain, if we could come another way.

6. mioque

mioque New Member

Chances are that several of the people who posted on this thread about their Indian ancestry in fact have no such thing. There has been a period in US history when anybody with some negroblood in his veins, but white enough to get away with it claimed a little bit of Indian ancestry. Much more romantic and much less embarassing.

We Baptists* were on the whole much nicer to the Indians than some other Protestant Christian groups, who considered all of them demons in the flesh who had to be exterminated.

*Comparable to the Jesuits. ;)
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheMission-1014027/about.php