1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Catechism??

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our church used a BAPTIST CATECHISM by the famous W.B.Riley. Long out of print by 1957 when I took it.

Can't lay a hand on it today, but still remember phrases from it that truly helped me understand some basic doctrine through rote memorization.

For some facts, rote learning (HATED by liberal educators) is the only way. Multiplication tables, etc.

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try abebooks.com, this is a network of used bookstores from around the nation. Very helpful and easy on the wallet.

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't know there was such a thing. But I had a Sunday School teacher when I was in 1-3 grade who made us recite answers to questions I believe she made up herself. She would say the question, and we'd all chime in with the answers. They started off:

Q. Who is God?
    A. God is our Heavenly Father.

Q. Who is Jesus?
    A. Jesus is God's Son.

Q. Who is the Holy Spirit?
    A. The Holy Spirit is the Power of God in us.

Q. What is sin?
    A. Sin is disobedience to God.

And it went on to ask questions that prompted us to recite plan of salvation verses. Very effective. Guess she figured that if we learned nothing else, we'd at least get that from doing it over and over.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And evidently you still remember them, so she did a great job!!

The Baptist Catechism was only a pamphlet (low cost bulk) by Riley and prolly 18 or 24 pages. Would not think any survived. He pastored FBC Minneapolis and eveyrone there was Lu-tran or Catholic and they ALL had confirmation classes. So this was a Baptist parallel.

He also fanned the "baby dedication" flame to be a Baptist parallel to christening.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Oh, and there are good ones in Tom Nettles' book and in the back of James Boyce's "Abstract" reprint

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist