1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Churches?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Justified, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Justified

Justified New Member

Is there any good Baptist churches left out there, anymore?

It seems as though the standards are dropping like flies!

Or is it just in Jersey? :confused:

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Depends on what you call good, what specific points of doctrine are you looking to see emphasised in a "good" Baptist Church?

At present there are 143 or so Baptist Denominations and associations.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Odd question. Not concerned about DOCTRINE but about STANDARDS?

Doctrine is Bible based.

Most Standards are MAN based.

I'd be concerned about the first, more than the second.

4. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen Bro. Bob.

You hit the nail on the head.

The reason we have 143 different Baptist Denominations and groups is because of MAN and his "standards" not because of God and His Word's Doctrine.

(2 Pet 1:20 KJV) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

5. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

Dr Bob,

I don't see where the question of doctrine was implied. Doctrines can be in place, but the church can still be in error with their standards. Isn't the examples of right doctrine and wrong standards shown in the Bible with the various churches Paul addressed? :confused:

6. Justified

Justified New Member

Usually, in a lot of Baptist churches, thier Doctrines are correct, but the standard are not.

So! My question did not question the Doctrines, but the standards!

7. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why don't you list some of these standards so we can understand exactly what you're talking about?

8. Justified

Justified New Member

Proper dress for the sexes.

Proper authority structure.

Proper courting practices.

Proper biblical studies.

Proper behaverial ethics.

Proper family standards.

Proper marriage settings.

For just a few.

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your first two are points of doctrine that have been debated at length on the BB, so lets have a look at those first two briefly,

Standards of Dress for the Sexes. - This is open to interpetation by the church and is used as a point of legalism in different churches. The people in the Bible did not wear pants or jeans, all the males wore a type of dress. People should not wear clothes that are meant for the other sex, yet Female Pants are exactly that.

Proper Authority Structure - Yet another hotly debated point of doctrine. A number of Baptists do reject Apostles as leadership which was what happened in the Bible, preffering to pay a pastor a wage to service the body of believers, wheras the biblical structure includes Teachers, Elders, Evangalists etc. Sure there was an "Overseer or Bishop", yet this is a different position to a Pastor, the term being mentioned once in the new testament as "Pastors".

Courting Practices - marriges were often arranged in the Bible, we do things differently these days so that it is dependant on the individuals Spiritual State of which the church can guide but not be.

Biblical Studies, - Many have Sunday/Sabbath Schools and studies during the week, the church provides it, people have to get up and go to it.

Behavioural Ethics - In the age of consumerism a battle for the church, yet a standard to be upheld. And no church is safe, some may not be affected by consumerism, but how many IFB or similar churches have a problem with Gossip?

Family Standards, Having watched the Jerry Springer show, it makes me wonder how society holds together with all the garbage that is going on out there and marriges that are "commitment free". Churches need to be having marrige seminars which many do and providing the alternative.

Marrige Standards as above.

As I see it many Baptist Churches hold these things dear, I believe these things to be the staples of the SBC and other similar groups which include the larger portion of the 143.

The thing to bear in mind is that I can tear strips off any church, denomination or fellowship if I want to. It is the Contravening of Biblical doctrines that is the problem, and ethical standards are doctrine in action.

10. Justified

Justified New Member

Well Ben, maybe things are different in Australia, but I've travelled a lot of this here United States of America, and it is hard to find Baptist churches that are consistant in standards across the board.

Then I find that the Pastor will change the standards or just not teach them in favor of enlarging his congregation.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Standards that are BIBLE-BASED are, of course, "doctrinal" (based on truth).

Standards that are MAN-BASED are, of course, legalism that makes the pharisees' seeking to find God's favor by works pale in comparison.

The early church "continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine - then also fellowship, breaking of bread and prayer." Believing, accepting and living the Word of God.

BTW, here are examples of MAN-BASED legalism that, if practiced, I would RUN NOT WALK away from such a so-called cult-like "church".</font>
    • If my Church tried to tell me how to live my life, when to take a vacation, who to marry</font>
    • If my Church tried to enforce dress codes on my family</font>
    • If my Church taught that the Word of God was only one archaic (or one modern) version</font>
    • If my Church demanded blind obedience without congregational control</font>

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The churches are only as good as the people on them.

13. Justified

Justified New Member

Dr. Bob-I'm not talking about leagalism in any form, and please don't twist this into that. It is quite clear that I'm talking about teaching believers about good ethical and moral Christian living and behavior.

Things like married men associating with other married women and vise-versa.

Members of the church for years (men & women) scantly clothed or very form fitting clothing or in other words, very seductive attire.

Members whose teens have no respect for the Lord in their actions and their life style.

All of these are evidence of lack of teaching, not enforcement.