1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist college decorating with taxidermy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Apr 8, 2011.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was watching a promo clip for Providence Baptist College and was horrified to see dozens of deer heads mounted all over the walls of one of the rooms shown. There were also animal skins on the walls. To me, this was an unnecessary, gross display of trophy heads for a Bible college.

Would such a display bother you? Would you send your child to a college that decorated this way?

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It does not bother me. Then again, I don't know anything about the history of this room, the type of students this college appeals to, etc. Are the classrooms also decorated this way?

When I was in seminary at NOBTS there was a petition going around to remove the blow up Santa from the dining hall. If I recall correctly it was equated to having Satan in the school. I just laughed, wadded up the letter, and chucked in the trash can. Some folks evidently didn't have a hard enough work load. I guess some people will be offended no matter what you do or what you don't do.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the room was a chapel or sanctuary, then it would cause me to wonder what in the world is going on. If not, then I don't really have a problem with it.

But then, in all fairness, I say that as somebody with trophies mounted on my wall and deer, fox, wolf, and bear skins around my house.

#3 JohnDeereFan, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2011
  4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Not at all. It may induce me to go....I would expect to find some fine hunters to hunt with on days off. :thumbsup:

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I remember one camp place that our church used for men's retreats had a very large taxidermy collection and the guys asked about it. It seems that the place received an inheritance of a large sum of money - and the man's taxidermy collection. I wonder if it's something like that.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wifes father is from Stuttgart Germany so when we were going to get married he wanted to have the wedding reception at a German place that had dozens of stuffed animal heads on the wall, we both declined the offer to have the reception there.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The room is actually a snack shop or some such leisure time place. So what in the world is the problem with that? Tempest in a teapot! Are you with PETA or something? Vegetarian maybe? :tongue3:

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I certainly cannot think of any scriptural prohibition. It may raise questions of lavish or unnecessary wasteful spending of the Lord's money. Beyond that I am not sure of any problem.

9. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Be thankful that there is more than one Baptist College. You do not have to go to Providence if you do not want to. I wonder if the area is open to the public in order to share the exhibition?

10. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Mark, Chapter 2, three specific questions are asked of Jesus.

V:16 - "How is it that he eats and drinks with publicans and sinners?"
    V:18 - "Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but thy disciples fast not?"
    V:24 - "Behold, why do they on the sabbath day (do) that which is not lawful?"

In response to all three of these questions Jesus quite clearly explained that because of their legalism(s) they were unable to see the freedom(s) that awaited them merely by accepting the Word of the Lord as it was intended.

The Pharisees, as you know, had taken those few requirements of the Lord and expanded them to the point where the people were burdened while they lived in luxury.

In verses 27 & 28, reads as follows;

"And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for men, and not man for the sabbath; Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

The Son of man is not only Lord of the sabbath but is Lord of every day. If you are a child of His and you're doing wrong He will convict you of your error.

When we start to decide what's right or wrong based on our predetermined way things should be, we're on that thin line of becoming legalistic and missing the blessing(s) of God.

Like the Preacher who was blasting his congregation about long hair, rock and roll, short skirts, etc., when about that time his suit coat flopped open and you could see a pack of Marlboro's in his shirt pocket.

The Lord will convict. Ask me if I think what you're doing is a sin and I'll tell you to take it to the Lord. How would I know as I'm not in a position to make that determination outside of what is clearly provided for in the Word?

Too many Christians go around with the attitude of, "I think it - therefore it is." There is no sin committed by displaying animal heads. Might turn someone off but no sin has been committed.

Just consider the untold million and millions of animals that were sacrificed for the atonement of sin. Year in and year out for how many years?