1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Crossing Themselves in Prayer

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Kiffen, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I have no idea what you wrote that's so inflamatory, but I suspect that Martin Luther would never be allowed to post anywhere on the board.

BTW, since it came up in earlier posts, I can hardly believe that Baptists don't consider themselves Protestants. Do people still think that Baptists can trace their lineage back to the apostles? Baptists arose out of English Separatism.

Sometimes this stuff is little more than semantics. Technically, no believer today is a Protestant in that we (at least most Baptists) were not personally in the RCC and are not protesting its abuses. Each one who is a follower of the Lord Jesus is one who was spiritually dead and has been given life. Nevertheless, Baptists are a part of the larger group of Protestants.

Maybe it just sounds more spiritual for Baptists to claim they are not Protestants. I cannot help but think that this claim arises from the radical individualism of Baptists and a complete disregard for the communion of saints throughout history (I write as a Baptist pastor with a PhD in church history).

To the point of the thread, I have not seen Baptists crossing themselves in prayer, but doing so would be no more unbiblical that a lot of things Baptists do, such as circle prayers (as mentioned above), altar calls, and asking Jesus into one's heart.

Blessings,
    Bill
    </font>[/QUOTE]I can scarcely believe that such wisdom and knowledge came from the pen of a Baptist—but then again, your name if Broadus.

Thank you for this truly fine and inspiring post!

[​IMG]

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Ralph claims membership at First Baptist in Conyers Georgia so I seriously doubt he's an anabaptist. Anabaptists aren't allowed to post in Baptist only forums.

3. Broadus

Broadus Member

Diane,

I was just playing with Ralph's misspelling of anabaptists. He used two "n's," as in the name Anna.

Seriously, many Baptists see our spiritual heritage in the Anabaptists. I disagree. From reading the writings of early General and Particular Baptists in Great Britain, as well as studying Baptist history, I see our heritage in English Separatists, who, of course, came out of Anglicanism.

Blessings,
    Bill

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I knew you were doing that Bill. I was pointing out that Plain young Ralph claims to be a member of First Baptist so he's certainly not an anabaptist or an annabaptist. LOL

5. mioque

mioque New Member

Broadus
    "I suspect that Martin Luther would never be allowed to post anywhere on the board."
    "
    Having read "Von den Juden und ihren Lügen" I can only agree with you. On top of that I fear that Luther would have had Webmaster's German vacationhome burned to the ground after the first time some moderator presumed to edit his words.
    Having gotten my words moderated a number of times I want to officially distance myself from anything a hypothetical version of Luther posting on this board might have done.
    Webmaster, your vacationhome is not in any kind danger.

"Seriously, many Baptists see our spiritual heritage in the Anabaptists."
    "
    Including the elders of my church who are a very patriotic bunch.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

While some may think that Baptists

That might be a unique twist upon history ...

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

When did Baptists protest?

Reformed (Calvinist & Lutheran) churches protested the Catholics ...
    Anglicans renamed themselves.

And we poor Baptists got caught in the crossfire, as did the AnaBaptists.

8. Broadus

Broadus Member

That might be a unique twist upon history ... </font>[/QUOTE]The twist is your taking liberty with what I wrote. Baptists arose out of English Separatism which arose out of Anglicanism. If you believe that Baptists arose out of Anabaptism, remember that Anabaptists were of the Radical Reformation and they themselves came out of Roman Catholicism.

Blessings,
    Bill

9. Broadus

Broadus Member

"We poor Baptists" weren't even around until 1611 or 1612, at the earliest (General Baptists), so we weren't protesting anything in the 16th century. General and Particular Baptists protested against everyone who practiced paedobaptism. And we were protested against. Polemics wasn't quite so restrained in those days.

May everyone have a good evening and may God be glorified in our worship tomorrow, whether or not you cross yourselves in prayer. [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Bill

10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

11. ituttut

ituttut New Member

I feel crossing ones self is just an outward show like signs of the little pagan fishes some like to display. That is the Pope’s hat, the sign of the fish. We are to walk by faith and not by sight.

Has anyone noticed some of the Baptist churches leaning more toward outward signs? Pictures of what people suspect Jesus may have looked like, being hung in some Baptist churches. It seems at least they would only have one likeness of what they think, but some have Him with long hair, some shorter, with and without all kinds of facial hair. I’m sure the little children become confused. Some of our young may grow up thinking the modern day Rockers, or Rappers could be Jesus, as some look a lot like some of the pictures in some of the churches.

Also, has anyone noticed the little “statuettes” popping up in church? Even some “female” angels, of whom I have never seen mentioned in the Word. I remember as a child our old SBC church voted against having a picture of what somebody thought Jesus might look like for a mural in the baptistry. The reason being no idol would be allowed into our church.

We need to remember God will not be associated with any idol worshipper.

12. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

Actually there is nothing wrong with outward signs. Baptism and the Lord's Supper are ordained outward signs. [​IMG]

Regarding Images in Churches, Did not God command images be made in the Old Testament? Angels on the Ark of the Covenant and even a Crucifix in Numbers 21:4-9. Why is it that the Golden Calf was prohibited but the Brazen Serpent was ordained to be made?

The answer is that the prohibition in the Law was not against making images in general BUT of making images to worship. If one believes in a complete prohibition of images then that applies to Mt. Rushmore, Iwo Jima memorial, Vietnam memorial, Lincoln memorial as well as your driver's license and family potraits. So there is no prohibition against Nativity scenes, crucifixes, crosses, angels or pictures of Jesus. These are only artistic expressions or symbols. No one believes these are literal representations. If one however makes them to worship then there is a problem.

13. mioque

mioque New Member

ituttut
    "That is the Pope’s hat, the sign of the fish."
    "
    You mean the mitre which is worn by all RC bishops. It's fish shape refers back to one of the first Christian symbols, the fish, which was derived from the Greek word "Ichtus" (fish).
    The Greek word Ichtus, was taken by the Christians as ideogram and each of these five Greek letters was seen as an initial: Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour ; Iesu Kristus Theou Uios Sôter: "I K T U S".

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

15. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hi Mioque

The first Christian was Paul. Strange he doesn’t mention this fact. I am not of a faith from the Catholic church, believing as they. The following is from the Catholic Encyclopedia. Quote – “DAGON: A Philistine deity. It is commonly admitted that the name Dagon is a diminutive form, hence a term of endearment, derived from the Semitic root dag, and means, accordingly, "little fish". The name, therefore, indicates a fish-shaped god” – unquote. Have you ever noticed the mitre the Pope wears (Cardinals and Bishops allowed also). These can sport the pretiosa and auriphrygiata.

Then another reference that the Catholic church does not disagree with. This is from 1st edition of Webster’s New International Dictionary – Easter comes from the Anglo-Saxon Eastre, the name of “a goddess of light or spring, in honor of whom a festival was celebrated in April.”
    I’ve never heard of Christian pagans that lived before Jesus was crucified.

From the Catholic church came Christ – mass (masses are for the dead), Easter with Lent, Good Friday, bunny rabbits, and Easter eggs? Isn’t this tradition of man? We find neither of these Holy days of churches in the Word of God, other than one mistranslation of a word made Easter instead of Passover.
    Christian faith

16. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

its okay to cross themselves but the great

Mystery is "Why did the baptist cross the road?"

17. mioque

mioque New Member

ituttut
    "Have you ever noticed the mitre the Pope wears (Cardinals and Bishops allowed also)."
    "
    Yes, they're supposed to look like fish, the reason for which I explained in my previous post. The Dagon fishgod explanation for the look of the mitre was made up by Alexander Hislop in the 1850's. Dagon was most likely not a even fishgod, but a stormgod or a god of grain, much like Baal whose father he was according to some 14th century B.C. claytablets from Ugarit.

"Easter comes from the Anglo-Saxon Eastre"
    "
    I'm from the wrong country to be impressed, all Christians in the Netherlands celebrate Pasen (Passover) not Easter.

I think no is the proper answer to your last 2 questions.
    Details upon request.

18. ituttut

ituttut New Member

My hats off to you Aslanspal.

19. KeithS

KeithS New Member

To Preach the other side! [​IMG]

20. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

So you believed Abraham, Moses, and David walked by sight? Have you read Hebrews 11? God's people were always commanded to walk by Faith!

Not sure what you are talking about. Jesus made it clear in John 3:14-15, that the Brazen Serpent was a picture of Him on the Cross.

Nor do we find instructions in the NT to build Church buildings, Pulpits, Communion tables, Pews, Fellowship Halls, Church bathrooms, Family Life Centers, etc.... :D [​IMG] Do you advocate that we meet only in House Churches?

Oh, Please, I have already stated worshipping or even venerating a image is a sin. A Crucifix simply states God became a man and died on a Cross and is a artistic reminder of the price of salvation. It is the thought that counts and is the reason God ordained the making of a Brazen serpent and was disagusted at the making of the Golden Calf. [​IMG]

[ March 01, 2005, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Kiffen ]