1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Crossing Themselves in Prayer

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Kiffen, Feb 23, 2005.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Looks as if you are satisfied with your postion, not wishing further discussion at the present.

2. mioque

mioque New Member

ituttut
    "Curacao and Aruba"
    "
    I never visited them myself.

"Easter comes from the Chaldean origin of Ishtar, sex & fertility goddess of the Babylonian religion. They say she had little rabbits that laid eggs."
    "
    More stuff made up by Hislop in the 1850's.

"Thought Pasen meant the resurrection of Christ on Sunday"
    "
    Thus far you're right. The key difference being that the English speaking world 'borrowed' the name of a pagan goddess (not related to Ishtar by the way) and the Dutch speaking world using a Hebrew loanword.

"with a full moon denoting Easter"
    "
    :confused: Were did you hear that? Complete nonsense as far as I know.

"and Pask for Passover."
    "
    Pesach.

"Understand different dialects spoken in your land however."
    "
    Dozens of them.

3. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

To Preach the other side! [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]I like that one

but here is mine ..straight from my warped mind

To get to the furrs cafeteria on the other side.

4. KeithS

KeithS New Member

For a buffet, I prefer Ryan's or Golden Corral myself - but a good Bar-B-Q place will get me to cross the road in heavy traffic.

5. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

6. benz

benz New Member

I think it is just symbolic...
    I dont think God will be pissed if you do it.. like me I just kiss my two fingers and throw up a peace sign to the lord after a prayer its just symbolic that I say peace to the lord and bless his name..

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Keffin: So you believed Abraham, Moses, and David walked by sight? Have you read Hebrews 11? God's people were always commanded to walk by Faith!

I see you read your Bible, and understand Abraham, Moses, and David are by faith. All in Hebrews 11 come to God BY faith.

I believe certain portions of His Word are written to me. All scripture is for our learning, but not all applies to us today. Try Romans 3:30. I am a Gentile and must come to God this way - through faith. According to the gospel of Paul all today must come by grace, apart from any connection with the nation Israel, other than Through faith of our Lord Christ Jesus, our savior.

Kiffen: Not sure what you are talking about.
    Jesus made it clear in John 3:14-15, that the Brazen Serpent was a picture of Him on the Cross.

Just using your terms and what you turned into an image (crucifix). This is not what God commanded for the image. The serpent was the image placed on a pole, and a pole is not a crucifix with horizontal extending arms on each side. And they at that time had no idea of why God commanded this. Today we know what God knew back then because of the Word that He has left us. I understand the significance of Jesus’ statement in your John reference, but you did not make this connection. You fixated on the Pole, to which the serpent was placed.

God says the Jew requires a sign, so I believe we in this dispensation do not need a sign to look upon something, whether it is on a pole, a wall or around our neck or pocket. We cannot do as the Jew and just ask and it will be done. We are required to request that His will be done. I believe we got the best of the deal however, for we today are saved immediately and sealed in. They in the Old Testament had no such guarantee. They had the better deal of living on the earth, and we the better deal now of already being placed into the kingdom of Christ.

Keffin: Nor do we find instructions in the NT to build Church buildings, Pulpits, Communion tables, Pews, Fellowship Halls, Church bathrooms, Family Life Centers, etc.... :D [​IMG] Do you advocate that we meet only in House Churches?

This the reason God made us as we are. So we can do things on our own, whether we are right or wrong. But we need to go to His Word to know what is right and what is wrong.

Many Christians are doing this, meeting in homes, and it doesn’t make any difference, now does it. The church building does not save us, but preaching salvation by grace places us in His Church. Our main worship, according to Paul is Spiritual, which is to absorb our daily lives. Do some feel guilty (so very many do) because they did not get to their denominational church so they may do their weekly worship?

We all have our good works after salvation, and He has us spread around our talents and monies in different areas. Some perhaps are to spend money for big buildings for the comfort of those attending, and the world to look upon. Some perhaps not on such a grand scale with bulk of talent or money to spreading the “grace commission” to the Jew and the Gentile, whether it is the Salvation Army, Gospel missions feeding and preaching the Word to the lost. Don’t get me wrong, for God needs us all. Those in the opulent; those in the run of the mill, and those of small gatherings all have their place in His Body. My time with Him is precious, in any setting.

What is your thought on the matter? They could be the same as mine. If not I’ll bet you are still a Baptist saved by grace as preached in the gospel of Paul. You must be for all Christians come through the blood of Christ as presented in Paul”s gospel received from heaven.

Keffin: Oh, Please, I have already stated worshipping or even venerating a image is a sin. A Crucifix simply states God became a man and died on a Cross and is a artistic reminder of the price of salvation. It is the thought that counts and is the reason God ordained the making of a Brazen serpent and was disagusted at the making of the Golden Calf. [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I understand your position Kiffen, and acknowledge your distain for idol worship as do all Christians. But what message do we send to the unsaved, and to other Christians in other denominations? Baptist of all people endeavor to refrain from any thing unacceptable to God, and we do not like trying to explain the unexplainable.

We find out pretty quickly those of other denominations, as well as the unsaved, know who we Baptist are and what we purport to believe. It is sort of like people comparing Bill Clinton to George W. Bush, or Ronald Reagan. The whole world loves Bill Clinton, and most of the world cannot stand President Bush, or President Reagan. One misstep by either PB, or PR, and they are immediately condemned by this world, but will never do so with President Clinton. Maybe what PB, or PR did wasn’t wrong, but to the world they did something they (the world) thought they shouldn’t do.

I just happen to believe the Baptist, Grace, some Bible churches, and others, are the PB, and PR in this world down here. We are held to higher standards, because we so fervently contend for the Word. But when we start showing signs of returning to the “mother church” which brought Idol worship into their belief, this world will condemn us, and rightfully so. One thing always leads to another, and it won’t be long until our eyesight is so good, that we no longer will need to depend on our faith to lead us. We are not our own. We are His, as we are in Him. Israel could not say this. They are bound to this earth, as they will inherit the earth. We inherit the heavenlies in Christ Jesus, and look beyond that “pole” and above to heaven.

Didn’t mean to bend your ear for so long (if you are still with me), but wish you to know I have a position in Christ, of where He put Me, and I will defend it.

God Bless you in your salvation and your place in His Body. We may not look as if we are working in unity in His Body from our view down here, but I believe He is satisfied; so long as we are putting forth His message of Grace, through faith, without any works of hands when it comes to our salvation or having fellowship with Him.

8. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Moon reference from a dictionary of Dutch meanings: Quote “a religious festival celebrating the resurrection of Christ, held on the Sunday after the first full moon in spring, called Easter Day or Easter Sunday .
    Dutch: Pasen: unquote