1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

baptist DEBATE forums

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Luke2427, Dec 4, 2010.

1. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought about your post and you are right!!! This forum has diminished greatly from exchanging ideas and thought and has started to be more argumentative.

I apologize for any part of this that I participated in. I blame myself for any caustic ways that I have responded to these posts. From time to time we have people come in and try to change the forum to the way they want it to be. Not only do they want to change it but they insist we change to their likings and if we don't agree we are just plain wrong. If we choose to ignore then we are being weak.

I think if you find yourself in more arguments than exchange of ideas you are not contributing to this forum in a positive way. I will do my best to contribute in my insignificant ways and not detract.

Thanks for the wake up call.

2. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Thanks John and Steven I posted something similar over in the other thread.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

If all of this is so then the title of this particular segment of bpatistboard ought to be changed from "DEBATE" which is a word with a definition- it means something, and that something is not what you enunciate here.

Change it to "fellowship" or something. Of course since you have a thread titled fellowship it seems that it would be easier to just go there.

But stop trying to redefine the word "debate" to suit you.

I understand that this is Christian Debate and that that means we treat one another respectfully. I am for that 100%.

But debate still means that we show the arguments, NOT THE ARGUERS MIND YOU, but the arguments no mercy.

I think that people who want to know the truth appreciate that. I know I do. When I am not being called names and when someone is fiercely attacking my arguments- I appreciate it.

I want my arguments to be dismantled if they can be. That enables me to go and find better ones or tweek the ones I have.

I have two friends who show me no mercy in debate. We have debated topics for better than a decade.

In those VERY exchanges, through the severe testing of our ideas, we transformed from KJVO, legalistic, Arminians to original languages, liberty minded Calvinists.

I thank God that my ideas that I once held to were obliterated!

#43 Luke2427, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  4. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Actually, gravity is universal. There is gravity on the moon, it's just not as strong. The strength of gravity depends on the mass of the planet or object involved.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and opposing forces or mechanisms affecting it's pull.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Then you are against trying to persuade someone on here? Really?

Are you also against speaking with conviction????

Because that is what you said.

And why don't you admit that you didn't really know what speaking with authority meant until I posted the definition for you?

It is obvious since your reply to my accusation about you speaking with authority was- I don't hold authority over nobody!- or however you said it.

#46 Luke2427, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now is the perfect time to use strawman. :)

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No straw man.

You began on this thread by saying that the previous four posts above your first post on this thread were SPOT ON.

Those posts talked about among other things, how one should not speak with authority.

I responded to your post that said that such sentiments were spot on by saying- "You are speaking authoritatively against speaking authoritatively"

You then responded that you were not speaking authoritatively because you don't try to hold any authority over anyone on baptistboard.

This indicated that you did not know what it means to speak authoritatively.

I then gave you the definition which included (to speak with conviction, to persuade)

and then you said "I was not trying to persuade anyone."

Which brings us full circle.

Since you said those posters are spot on about speaking authoritatively being wrong- are you against speaking with conviction or trying to persuade?????????????????????????

If not, then you must not have known what "speaking authoritatively" meant when you said they were spot on.

Which is probably why you presented that bogus definition (holding authority over someone)- you didn't know what it actually means to speak authoritatively- but once again you jumped the gun, didn't you?

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Thanks!

Can I quote you?

Oh wait! I just did!:smilewinkgrin:

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Things like centrifugal force, which keeps our planets in the correct orbits, at least until God says otherwise.

11. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Luke if I may use your style,

Dude, your arguments have been dismantled more than you realize, you just refuse to see it.

Your two friends miss you.
    Just hard facts Dude, just hard facts.

12. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Good grief. Aren't there better things to be concerned with? Give it a break.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Sure there are. What does that have to do with anything?

Are there better things to be concerned with than taking a shower? Sure- but take one once in a while- it will do you good!