1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Denominational differences

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Oct 11, 2004.

1. rbnd

rbnd New Member

Phillip,

"Could each of you with different Baptist groups please explain the differences between your group and mine? Specifically on doctrinal issues. I am SBC, conservative."

Some Reformed Baptists, such as myself, are also SBC and conservative. However, most SBC conservatives are Armininian. A minority of SBC conservatives are Calvinist. Some SBC conservatives that are Calvinist are also Reformed, but not necessarily. I would be among the group that is Reformed.

The Calvinist group holds to the doctrines of grace. The Reformed group holds to the doctrines of grace as well, but also places more emphasis on the RB distinctives, as mentioned on the website that I mentioned earlier.

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I was about to post the same question's about what is the difference in all the Baptist church's. Then I saw this, and was even more confused about it all. Oh well. :confused:

Rachel

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

In Congregational Organisation, you will find that the Pastors there are volunteers and that members of the church have the opportunity to give the weekly sermon and perform roles that are usually given to paid ministers.

There were some people here that were into the Six Principle Baptist Church, from what they had to say they were pretty much exactly the same as the SBC, save that they have a focus on the laying on of hands. Try a Google search under Six Principle Baptist and see what you get.

4. Psalm116

Psalm116 New Member

Mioque,

What about Anabaptists? They don't fit into your four broad groups. They are neither of your four groups :)

Sarah

5. rbnd

rbnd New Member

Psalm116,

Though it appears that you disagree, which is fine, I believe most people would include Anabaptists among the Protestants.

Maybe a better way of saying it is that there are not 4 (or 5, etc.) groups of Christianity, but 2 groups of "Christianity" - those who are Christian in name only (the majority) and those who are truly Christian in fact.

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian lineage:

The history books I read show the Greek Orthodox coming out of Rome. That makes a mother-daughter relationship. The Oriental version is probably a grandmother-grand daughter relationship.

Other daughters came out of Rome in the 16th century--commonly called the Protestant Reformation.

The New Testament Church did not come out of Rome nor of the so-called reformations.

Selah,

Bro. James

7. mioque

mioque New Member

Psalm116
    "What about Anabaptists?"
    "
    Protestants, the lot.

James
    "The history books I read show the Greek Orthodox coming out of Rome."
    "
    The Schism of 1054 cut Christianity down the middle. There was no coming out of Rome. It was psiding with either the pope or the byzantine emperor.

"The Oriental version is probably a grandmother-grand daughter relationship."
    "
    Most Orientals walked out because of the council Chalcedon (that's the one after Nicea).

"The New Testament Church did not come out of Rome nor of the so-called reformations."
    "
    Indeed. It's the other way round.

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Schism of 1054 cut Christianity down the middle...

My paradigm would refine that to read: the schism of 1054 served to split the apostasy centered in Rome. i.e. Then there were two apostates. What has this to do with the Lord's church? His Bride was not involved in any apostasy--She cannot apostasize--She is kept pure by the Holy Spirit.

As for the "anabaptists": this is a catch-all word which labels a lot of different persuasions. The term was coined by the so-called orthodox to identify various heresies.

Selah,

Bro. James

9. mioque

mioque New Member

"the schism of 1054 served to split the apostasy centered in Rome."
    "
    The fight was about were the centre was Rome or Byzantium.

""anabaptists": this is a catch-all word"
    "
    Not anymore, since the days of Menno Simons it has been used in a more specific fashion. Describing those Christians who do not engage in paedobaptism and are strongly influenced by his theology. Those Christians who do not engage in paedobaptism and reject much of Menno's theology are simply called Baptists. Many fine specimens of that second breed can be found on this messageboard.

"What has this to do with the Lord's church?"
    "
    Your version or mine?

10. mickd7

mickd7 Guest

Not all Baptist have to be confined to traditional beliefs. I am what you call a Bapticostal. I believe most of what the conservative SBC believe but I also believe the Gifts of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit is for anyone who wishes to receive them by Faith.