1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist distinctives and other denominations

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I know of a Baptist church in the American Baptist Churches (ABC), that has a female pastor. They are Baptist but unorthodox. We would not have fellowship with them as a church. It is called eccelsiastical separation. As I said, on a personal level I am not adverse to sitting down and having a limited degree of fellowship with any Christian. It is limited by the things we do have in common.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    isn't orthodoxy though always referring to one, such as a group/church, holding to essentials of the christian faith in error?

Such as denial of the Cross, resurrection, second coming etc?

wether to ordain women or not seen as being against the bible, but not to point of being "non orthodox?"

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A person denying the essentials of the Christian faith, such as you mentioned (the resurrection, the deity of Christ) is not a Christian. There is no personal fellowship there.
    A person accepting female ordination may hold to those fundamentals but still be in error to Biblical doctrine. I would never put my stamp of approval on such error by having that person preach in my church. The pulpit is a sacred place of authority not to be tampered with.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you on that, but would a church ordaining a female pastor put them outside orthodoxy JUST due to that?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It would put them outside of our church, and most Baptist churches I know of. Baptist churches are independent. They have the right to permit who they allow to preach in their church and refuse to preach in their church. There were many churches I could not preach in for one reason or another many years ago when on deputation. They were not obligated to have me.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    what is "deputation?"

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I am a missionary. In order to go to the mission field. I needed supporting churches who would support me financially that I may live there and support me, my family and my ministry while there.

8. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going back to some of the original implications of this thread: has anyone considered that there is no "Baptist denomination?" Denomination is a term which derives from the "Protestant Reformation" of the Roman Catholic Church. True Baptists were never part of Rome nor those who tried to reform Rome from within and without. True Baptists have been persecuted by Rome and the daughters of Rome, including Canterbury.

This puts a serious kink in the thread of: who defines what is orthodox? Joseph Smith Jr. says he has the restored orthodoxy, so does Ellen G. White; Herbert W. Armstrong(also Garner T.), Mary Baker Glover Patterson Eddy, etal, etal, etal. Do not forget the Azuza St. miracles, also Lourdes and other apparitions.

It is no wonder, Satan himself is become an angel of light.
    God is not the author of confusion.

Selah,

Bro. James

#48 Bro. James, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  9. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

You are correct, Bro James. Many claim the Baptists are on denomination of many within the ranks of Protestantism, when they are not, nor ever were Protestant.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you were referring to the time back home from the field, and going to locak churches raising money support to go back out on the field, correct?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You honestly think that groups such as SBC are not to all intents and purposes actually a denomination though?

I really never saw the great problem with being known as a "demination", as to me seemed to be the title for christian churches that were not RC!

12. mandym

mandym New Member

The SBC is a cooperative with leadership from the bottom up. Not a denomination. No intent, no purpose to be one.

13. Steadfast Fred

I would say they are a denomination within the ranks of the Baptist faith, not a denomination within the ranks of Protestantism.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Not quite. To a period of time before I ever got to the field. A missionary must get enough financial support to go to the field before he goes.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Among the name "Baptist" which secular books consider a denomination, there exist a multitude of various stripes and colors.
    There are: associations, conventions, fellowships, and those that are completely independent not fellowshipping with any others. And there are some IFB churches that do form a loose fellowship of churches. There are some independent churches that most of us would be ashamed to be associated with anyway, like Westboro Baptist Church. :tear:

There are many Baptist Churches that I would never think of fellowshipping for one reason or another. Many of them, like the SBC, act and look like a denomination within a so-called "denomination," if that is what we are in the eyes of the world.

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

So, does anyone know of any denomination other than Baptists which hold to absolute local church autonomy, believer's baptism, symbolism of baptism, and laity-administered ordinances?

17. billwald

billwald New Member

The Plymouth Brethern "out-baptist" the Baptists.

http://www.plymouthbrethren.org/

The PBs invented half your various statements of faith including dispensationalism and many of your favorite authors and institutions including Dallas Theological, Ryrie, the bible college in Chicago, The Scofield Bible . . . .

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

:)

I reject dispensationalism.

19. Steadfast Fred

And other Bible truths.

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Don't start on me again, Fred.

It's quite evident that you are an instigator; you like to stir up strife and keep it stirred. That does not come from God.

Dispensationalism is not a Bible truth.

It can be seen that I have tried to develop a peaceful relationship with you and to discuss things with you in a civil and meaningful way.

I'll not continue to do that. From this point on, I won't respond to you; I'll have nothing to do with you. From now on, you don't exist; you are of no consequence. So, say what you will to your heart's content. You will reap what you sow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.