1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Distinctives

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Baptist Believer, thanks for posting Dr. Pinson's list in Post #11 It triggered my memory.

I should have mentioned in my list,

Authority of Scripture for faith and practice,

Lordship of Christ,

The deity of Christ,

Autonomy of the local church,

Regenerate church membership.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I hate to chase this rabbit, but here goes.

Did your Baptist church's doctrines and practices have nothing to do with your attendance there? What attracted you to that church?

Any defense of the faith will divide. I don't recall any of the NT writers who were reluctant to attack error and state plainly the truth.

Shall we remain silent in the face of heresy for the sake of keeping peace?

Maybe this should be a separate thread. The OP ask what the Baptist Distinctives are, not whether there should be any.

#22 Tom Butler, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If someone asks me my beliefs, I say I am Christian, not Baptist.

However, for which church I attend or join, baptist distinctives do count, although I speak in churches that are not Baptist in the capacity of my ministry (speaking not teaching or preaching).

If Baptist distinctives are not held to, the church could become charismatic, for example. I believe that charismatic Christians are my brothers and sisters in the Lord; however, I would not want to attend or belong to a charismatic church.

It seems like today it's the fashion to blur lines rather than draw them; I think can be very problematic for a church if this is the case (as long as lines drawn are not legalistic but just make the beliefs clear).

4. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

Tom this is the historic baptist position that I've stated.

5. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

This too, Tom is the historic baptist position. I copied both directly from the 1689 London Baptist Confession.

6. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hi JC,

Good luck taking up the mantle for Baptists who have long died. I believe it was either Chesterton or Lewis that talked of chronological snobbery when we only let the living dictate things. Baptists from the 17th century in England typically held to covenant theology (even General Baptists), they had a sacramental view of both baptism and the Lord's Supper (which is one reason why they only baptized believers), and so on. These were not rogue beliefs but things espoused by their best representatives and included in their creeds and confessions.

Surely whatever distinctives we list today should include their beliefs as well, should it not?

I've pointed these things out before to the writer of the OP, but history repeats itself on this board. As a joke I would nominate ignorance of Baptist history as a Baptist distinctive for Baptists of the last hundred years in America.

BJ

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How odd then that they scrupulously avoided using the word sacrament in their confession of faith.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

this si sad, especially now a days with church hoppers. People who are always moving their membership and not caring if it is a different denomination with different beliefs, and never actually knowing what a particular church beleives. They don't know enough about their Baptist distinctives to know a new church doesn't line up with what they think they've always beleived.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't know why believing scripture should divide christians.

10. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Hi Jerome,

Yes, I said typically and the Second London Confession has those differences with the WCF that your source highlights. Churches back then did differ on those things and they sought their confession to include only matters that they all agreed on. The Second London Confession is just one of many confessions from the century. I would also add that "ordinance" had a different meaning back then. If you are interested on Baptist sacramentalism from this period, I highly recommend the works of Stanley Fowler and Anthony Cross from Paternoster's excellent series on Baptist history. Fowler includes sources from confessions and creeds in his case as well as tracts by prominent Baptist leaders of the period.

BJ

#30 Brandon C. Jones, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  11. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Drfuss: Yes, the OP did ask for what Baptist Distinctive are and not if there should be any. However, I just answered you questions. Since I don't think there should be Baptist Distinctives, I'll drop out of this.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I am aware that both quotes are from the LBCF. Both statements be be completely orthdox, and I am simply too dense to see it. I had difficulty transferring 17th-century language into 21st century understanding.

Within my 21st-century frame of reference, I just felt some of the language went further than necessary. Where the quotes were clear they lined up with what I believe.

As a general rule, I think the LBCF is a great document, and I embrace most of it.

One section I do not embrace is the one on the universal church. I contend that there ain't no such animal. I don't say this to start a debate on the subject. Instead say it to show that I am probably like other people who may quibble with the LCBF here and there, but generally embrace it.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Drfuss, your view might be grist for a thread of its own. If you start one, I'll join you.

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

My list of Baptist Distinctives?

Why, there's only ONE: Jesus Christ:godisgood:

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the list from Bill Pinson

I feel they are important especially today with all emphasis on everybody getting along and not letting doctrine divide us. That's fine if what you want to do is feed the hungry or house the homeless but if you are going to have a church and do the work of the church I think you should be willing to identify what type of church you are going to be.

Why is that Baptists are willing to hide who they are and yet Hindus or Islam doesn't feel the need to hide who they are and what they stand for? A sad commentary on the current church.

16. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Historically, the doctrines that seemed to be most defining of Baptists has been congregational governance and opposition to infant baptism. Currently, there are many non-Baptist denominations, particularly non-denominational churches, that also hold to these same positions. Most of them seem to have been founded in the US where Baptists are most prominent.

While I am a baptist and agree with the historical development of these theologies, I would not describe these two doctrines as being closest to modeling the 1st century church, a goal that I do not consider to be important or biblically mandated.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Historically, the defining doctrine of Baptists and their progenitors is the baptism of believers only, by immersion, as a public testimony and a picture of the gospel. It is this doctrine brought them persecution and death, prison and ostracism as heretics. By definition, if Baptists are right on this, those who differ are wrong, and thus disqualified from calling themselves New Testament churches.

I agree that congregational governance (autonomous and independent congregations) is high on the list of practices defining Baptists.

18. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The immersion part of what you say is not historically accurate unless you don't consider the early General Baptists to be Baptist.

Without a time machine, no current churches can call themselves New Testament churches. New Testament churches stopped existing once the writing of the New Testament was finished. NT churches had their flaws that Paul, Peter and other apostles tried to correct through their writings. They also had some good qualities that we can learn from and some may try to mimic like the selling of possessions to support ministries. But there is no biblical mandate that all churches should mimic any particular church.

#38 Gold Dragon, Aug 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Just as there are no perfect churches today (because none of us is perfect), there were no perfect churches in apostolic times, either. But the apostles, in their writings, espoused doctrines and practices as taught to them by the Lord Jesus himself. And many of the letters were designed to combat error which had crept inito the churches (the Judaizers, for example).

So I agree with you to the extent that we have the writings that tell us what the perfect church should believe and practice. I believe Baptists historically have come closest to the doctrines and practices taught by Jesus and the apostles. Flawed yes, but always reforming. We follow Christ's teachings imperfectly, but our goal should always be to reflect what he taught.

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

You forgot another one:

Abstinence from alcohol.

ALSO> I CAN read and understand the "Flowery" language of the 17th century. The view of Baptism today is not the same as the view espoused by those in the LC. The London confession had a much more sacramental view of Baptism (although NOT a sacrament, per se).

Tom would almost certainly re-baptize someone coming from a church ascribing to the London confession.

All that being said, I DO think it is important to have distinctive. I would not be a part of any church (membership) that baptized infants, or had a sacramental view of the Lord's Supper, or did not believe in Perseverance of saints.

But I WOULD accept converts from said churches, without additional requirements, other than testimony. Why? Because the Presbyterians and Methodists and yes, the Churches of Christ, are our brothers and sisters. I think they are wrong on some points, but our Lord's grace is more than sufficient for it. I am quite sure WE are wrong on some things too, and are just to arrogant to recognize it.