1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Eschatology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bill Brown, Jul 5, 2007.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, fine. You can either find out what scriptural terms mean by studying how Scripture uses them... or you can use the terms however you please. I see you have chosen door number two.

2. RAdam

RAdam New Member

This is what Jesus said concerning His second coming.

Matthew 24:
    42 - "Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come."
    43 - "But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up."
    44 - "Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh."

What are we instructed to watch for in verse 42? Obviously it is the coming of the Lord. He comes as a thief in the night, in an hour as we think unlikely. Thus we are instructed always to be watching. If we are watching for Jesus, understanding He could come back at any time, what is hard to fall into? Slothfulness. If we understand that Jesus could come back at any time, we cannot become lazy.

3. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All you have to do is read the rest of the chapter, 45-51.

You can also see how this word is used elsewhere. Here are just three uses of the very same word:
    Rev. 3:2 "WAKE UP! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God."
    Rev. 3:3 "Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not WAKE UP, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you."
    Mark 14:34 "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them. "Stay here and KEEP WATCH."

In that last one, for instance, He didn't mean for the disciples to be lookouts, to tell Him when the betrayers were coming. He meant for them to watch and pray, seeing that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

#103 asterisktom, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So you are going to take a verse which has nothing to do with the second coming and use it to interpret a verse that does? Wow.

5. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know how else to say this. Forget it. It's not worth it. Believe what you want.

6. RAdam

RAdam New Member

How else to say what? That you are using one verse to interpret a completely unrelated verse.

7. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

While I'm a full preterist myself. If I had to venture a guess based what I read today I'd say most seminary students/graduates are Amil.

It is too bad that eschatology doesn't get taught more in churches because not teaching it leads to a knowledge vacuum in the area and that allows all the TV pretrib rapture types to rush in to fill that vacuum which is about like committing an eschatological mugging and then add insult to injury by pushing off their books and DVDs on their victims.

8. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are related. They have the same, pivotal word that the post was originally about - "watching". It helps to fix the definition of the word.

9. RAdam

RAdam New Member

1 Samuel 19:11 also has teh same pivotal word "watch." Does that mean it is related?

"Saul also sent messengers unto David's house, to watch him, and to slay him in the morning: and Michal David's wife told him, saying, If thou save not thy life to night, to morrow thou shalt be slain."

Obviously not.

10. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please see my other post.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

See, you do believe in the resurrection...you resurrected a thread after it was dead for 3 years :)

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I lean toward being a premilennial, partial-preterist.