1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Essentials

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Michael Wrenn, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

What would you say are the essentials for being a Baptist? Not for a particular "breed" of Baptist (reformed, arminian, etc.), but for being a Baptist Christian?

What must you believe in order to be a Baptist?

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

First, realize that there are 57 varieties of Baptists in America, then start to examine them one-by-one.

I'd say the primary Baptist distinctive is being Baptist, whatever that means.

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I would say that the ONLY baptist distinctive is the belief in Believer's Baptism, ie, not infant baptism.

I'm not saying that all who hold to beleiver's Baptism are by definition baptists, but I am saying that if you asked a Baptist if they hold to believer's baptism, they would most likely say yes.

In probably any other issue you could think of, there would be difference of belief.

5. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

6. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Hold to orthodox Christian theology, distinctives being believers baptism and the individuals right to study and come to doctrines as one sees fit, as long as in the "pale of orthodoxy!"