1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist Groups in the USA

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Jul 26, 2016.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Pentecostal Free Will Baptist Church claims more than 150 congregations in the Carolinas, Virginia and Florida.

http://pfwb.org/

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. Then Northeast Fellowship should move to I C 10 under the GARBC. I found no mention of the GARBC on the Northeast website, but since you mentioned this I went on the GARBC website and find they mention Northeast. Thanks!

At some point in the past I removed the former Baptist groups that had moved to the Pentecostal movement, such as PFWBC and Christian Baptist Church of God. IIRC, the PFWBC looks to other Pentecostal type groups for fellowship rather than towards Baptists.

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The GARBC site list 21 state/regional bodies:
    1. Arizona Association of Regular Baptist Churches
    2. Baptist Network Northwest (ID,OR,WA)
    3. California Association of Regular Baptist Churches
    4. Crossroads Fellowship: A Baptist Network of Churches, Inc. (IN)
    5. DelMarVa Baptist Fellowship (DE,MD,VA)
    6. Freedom Fellowship of Regular Baptist Churches (WV)
    7. Garden State Fellowship of Regular Baptist Churches (NJ)
    8. Illinois/Missouri Association of Regular Baptist Churches (IL,MO)
    9. Iowa Association of Regular Baptist Churches
    10. Lone Star Fellowship of Regular Baptist Churches (TX)
    11. Mid-Continent Association of Regular Baptist Churches (KS,MO,OK)
    12. Michigan Association of Regular Baptist Churches
    13. Minnesota Association of Regular Baptist Churches
    14. Montana Regular Baptist Fellowship
    15. Nebraska Association of Regular Baptist Churches
    16. Northeast Fellowship-a Network of Independent Baptist Churches (NY)
    17. Ohio Association of Regular Baptist Churches
    18. Ozark Association of Regular Baptist Churches (AR)
    19. Rocky Mountain Association of Regular Baptist Churches (CO)
    20. Sunshine Baptist Fellowship (FL)
    21. Wisconsin Association of Regular Baptist Churches

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the SBC website:
    Each cooperating Baptist body -- local church, association, state convention, and auxiliary -- retains its sovereignty and is fully autonomous.

There are SBC churches that may not be part of the State and or local fellowship.

And the GARBC works the same way. Affiliating with a local and or State Fellowship, does not automatically place your church in the GARBC,

However, in reality for the most part they do work and cooperated very closely.

My post in # 20, was just for a little clarification

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 2008 meeting of the West Coast Fellowship (Synod) of the CEC-BC in Sacramento, CA:
    upload_2016-8-1_12-2-46.jpeg

The better part of 500 pastors and preachers in attendance. I was the only native English speaker in the crowd.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I think that is the technicality and the reality for how a lot of Baptist groups work -- that is, affiliation at the state and local level doesn't make one a member of the national body, but most churches who participate with others usually think of themselves as part of the larger group. I know where I grew up there were quite a few churches that participated mainly in the local association, but considered that they were part of the American Baptist Association. On the other hand, I pastored a church once where we participated with churches in a local association but did not wish to be consider a part of the state and national bodies that most of them participated in. This is a fine point about which most don't think very much.

I ran into something interesting today regarding the new Growing Healthy Churches organization in California and Nevada. It is the old American Baptists of the West and is described (in news accounts) as a sort of split from the ABCUSA. Yet, looking at their constitutions and by-laws, I find they have two types of members, categorized as either “Cooperating Churches” (in GHC and still in the ABCUSA) or “Affiliating Churches” (in the GHC only).

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone know the status of the Baptist General Convention of Missouri, which operates under the ministry arm name Churchnet? I thought they were aligned with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, but they are not listed on their web site. They seem to be independent of groups such as ABCUSA, CBF, SBC, but affiliated with the BWA.

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not affiliated with the CBF (though I think some of its churches are). It is a member of the BWA (and the North American Baptist Fellowship) and collaborates with the largest "dissenting" state Baptist conventions — the Baptist General Convention of Texas, the Baptist General Association of Virginia and the D.C. Baptist Convention. It's also affiliated with the Joint Baptist Committee for Religious Liberty and, perhaps surprisingly, the SBC's Woman's Missionary Union.

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I decided to start a list of Holiness and Pentecostal "Baptists". All of the groups listed below either use Baptist in their name and/or came out of Baptist bodies. Many of them probably do not consider themselves Baptists in the way we would think of Baptists, and probably look to Holiness and Pentecostal bodies for their fellowship, rather than Baptists. It can be hard to get current information on some of the smaller bodies. But I am learning that many that don't have any official web site have some kind of presence on Facebook!

Holiness and Pentecostal Baptists
    Bethel Ministerial Association, aka Bethel Baptist Assembly, Inc. (org. 1934) *
    Christian Baptist Church of God (org. 1931)
    Church of God Mountain Assembly (org. in 1906 by ministers and churches excluded from the South Union Association of United Baptists; the following came out of CGMA)
    • Church of God General Assembly (org. 1914)
    • Church of God of the Union Assembly (org. 1920)
    • Church of God of the Original Mountain Assembly (org. 1946)
    Evangelical Free Baptist Church (org. unknown)
    Full Gospel Baptist Fellowship (org. 1994)
    General Conference of the Evangelical Baptist Church, Inc. (org. 1935)
    Holiness Baptist Association (org. 1894; the following came out of HBA)
    • Calvary Holiness Association (org. 1977)
    Pentecostal Free Will Baptist Church (org., from previous groups, in 1959)

* Not sure of BBA, Inc's connections to Baptists. The founder, Albert F. Varnell, seems to be a Pentecostal who came out of the Azusa Street revival. Perhaps he was a Baptist before then.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in Salt City, we have St John the BAPTIST Roman Catholic Church..... lets see, where should they be listed........:Sneaky:D

11. crixus

crixus Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #52 works for me! Great job compiling the list rlvaughn. :Thumbsup Thank you.

[​IMG]

#31 crixus, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016