1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Groups who don't accept OSAS

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by CarpentersApprentice, Oct 13, 2007.

1. CarpentersApprentice

The Once Saved Always Saved thread got me to thinking about groups instead of individuals. As evidenced in that thread most Baptists seem to believe in OSAS, although, of course, that is not universally accepted.

I note that the National Association of Free Will Baptists "believe that there are strong grounds to hope that the saved will persevere unto the end and be saved because of the power of divine grace pledged for their support. We believe that any saved person who has sinned (whether we call him a backslider or sinner), but has a desire to repent, may do so and be restored to God's favor and fellowship. Since man, however, continues to have free choice, it is possible because of temptations and the weakness of human flesh for him to fall into the practice of sin and to make shipwreck of his faith and be lost."

Are there other Baptist groups (not individual churches) that do not believe in OSAS?

Thanks.

CA

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What about Seventh-day Baptists??

3. CarpentersApprentice

Hi Bob,

Please help me out a little with this. On the Seventh Day Baptist site I looked under Statement of Belief and Salvation, but I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that they do not believe in OSAS.

I know that there can be nuances of meaning in the words and phrases, but it must be too nuanced for me. :)

CA

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I recall, it seems a SDB told me OSAA is an opitional belief
    Salty

but keep in mind my poor memory

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am asking about SDB - I don't know what their position is -

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BenH on this board is SDB -- It would be good to get his feedback on this one.

7. CarpentersApprentice

I was going to PM him, but could not find "BenH" listed.

Can someone alert him that I'd like his insight on this?

CA

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CA, I list some of these on my blog under Free Will/General Baptists
    http://baptistsearch.blogspot.com/2006/11/baptist-groups-in-united-states.html

In addition to the National Association of Free Will Baptists, there are other Free Will Baptist groups that don't affiliate with them. Other groups that generally reject OSAS are the General Association of General Baptists and the General Association of Separate Baptists in Christ. Some United Baptists also do not believe in OSAS, while others do. Most of those who associated with the National Association of United Baptists either did not hold OSAS or held it but would associate with churches that didn't.

There may be some SDB's who don't believe OSAS, but as a body I have always understood that they profess to hold the idea.

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. CarpentersApprentice

rlvaughn,

Wow! You really put a lot of work into that list. Thanks for the references.

According to the General Baptist Statements of Faith "We believe that those who abide in Christ have the assurance of salvation. However, we believe that the Christian retrains his freedom of choice; therefore, it is possible for him to turn away from God and be finally lost."

The General Association of Separate Baptists in Christ had a web site, but a statement of faith was not on it.

CA

11. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the view of all who reject OSAS as far as I know.

1. Assurance of salvation? YES!
    2. OSAS? NO!

in Christ,

Bob

13. CarpentersApprentice

Thanks for digging that out!

(You should write a book on all the differences.)

CA

14. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. CarpentersApprentice

Thanks. I'll look into it.

(The title is interesting. Is he subliminally saying that Baptists in America are the new Israel?)

CA

16. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: In general, Free-Will Baptist are Reformed Arminians, i.e. you can forfeit your salvation, but not lose it. They believe a Christian can forfeit their salvation by making a decision to stop trusting Christ. In the above statement, it says "and to make a shipwreck of his faith and be lost". Note that he is not lost because of sin, but because of his decision to make a shipwreck of his faith (forfeit his salvation).

On the other hand, Wesleyan Arminians believe a Christian (while still retaining his faith) can lose his salvation by not confessing, repenting and being remorseful for known sins. An example would be a believing Christian refusing to forgive someone a long time after the offense.

A good reference on this is "4 Views on Eternal Security" published by Zondervan.

#16 drfuss, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007
  17. CarpentersApprentice

Reformed vs. Wesleyan Arminianism. Whew... Now THAT is a finely honed difference. And thanks for the book reference.

CA

18. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: I suspect to many R/W Arminian Christians, a 5 point Calvinist compared to a 1 point Calvinist is also a finely honed difference.

#18 drfuss, Oct 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2007
  19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    so basically - Matt 18... "Forgiveness revoked" for one who IS forgiven and yet stubbornly refuses to forgive others?

Is the argument here that Free Will Baptists would not view the "forgiveness revoked" of Matt 18 as "losing salvation"??

in Christ,

Bob

20. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: I think a better question would be how do they view Matt. 6:14.

I am not a FreeWill Baptist and have never been in a FreeWill Baptist service. So I cannot answer how they would interpret all scriptures. I assume they would handle your question the same way an OSAS Christian would.

When I get time, I will try to find out how FreeWill Baptist handle Matt. 6:14.