1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist groups

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Harley4Him, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

How many different baptist denominations are there? I found this list of conventions and such

at This Link

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then, of course, there's the literal thousands of independent Baptist churches, who aren't members of any convention.... [​IMG]

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

I would add that the statements made above, taken from the web site, are overly generalized, and not universally true of Baptists.

Jeff

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    at This Link </font>[/QUOTE]Harley, The organziations I took from your list are not "denomations" Some are mission boards others are groups of Baptist who organize for various ministries. For example Baptist Mid Mission works with many Baptist groups, though primialy with the GARBC. You could say they are a "clearing house" to provide assistance to local churches and missionaries.
    Also I would like to point out there is no such thing as the "Baptist Church" Each local Baptist church (note small "c") is automotous and is accountable only to itself and to the Lord. Yes, there are Baptist organziations, but only for mutual fellowship, missions, assistance, ect. Some Baptist groups do not consider themselves a "denomation" as that term seems to take away from the local automoity. In fact the GARBC states that it is impossible for a Baptist church to "join" any organzation. They can be in fellowship or associate, but can not join.

Yes,according to the Bible us Baptists are a peculiar people. (I Peter 2:9 - KJV)

BTW, you web link did not work.

Thanks for a great subject

Salty

5. Harley4Him

Harley4Him New Member

What's the difference between associating and joining?

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

And then you have:

African Methodist Episcopal
    Free Methodist
    Wesleyan Methodist
    Evangelical Methodist Church
    Untited Methodist Church
    (probably the most liberal church in the US)

Dont throw stones, Harley. [​IMG]

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Harley, the multiplicity of Baptist organizations can certainly make the Baptist landscape confusing. Add to that the fact terminology is often not consistent (e.g. whether one calls an association a denomination or not; and differences between "joining" and "fellowshipping"). There is not really any accurate count of how many Baptist "denominations" there are. It is also confusing because many times groups that claim primary allegiance are listed with groups that are merely some kind of service agency (such as the listing above of Primitive Baptists and Baptist Mid-Missions as equivalent types). With Baptists, where each local congregation is completely independent and autonomous, even scholarly taxonomies (classifications) at best only make possible general comparisons and provide ways to estimate the total number of Baptists worldwide.
    This in itself can be hard to explain. One church in the Southern Baptist Convention might describe itself as being a "member" of the SBC, while another church might describe itself as merely supporting missions, education, etc., through the SBC. Yet the relationship of each of them to the SBC would be the same. I think SaltCityBaptist is right. Within Baptist church polity, it is really hard to join a "denomination", because the local congregation is viewed as the HIGHEST level of authority. All other organizations are merely auxiliaries or helps. Of course, it is sometimes true that churches and organizations may not actually function according to their theology, and a Baptist church might submit to the decision of a Baptist organization.

I hope I haven't created more confusion than explanation!

8. Emily

Emily New Member

The church I went to today was a part of the North American Baptist Conference.

btw salty

1 pet 2:9
    I dont see any evidence of how this is specifically for baptists only, and not for all followers of Christ.. got another scripture?

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of the sub-groups of baptists in the US are direct descendents of baptist groups in each country from which they came.

So one has German Baptist, Swedish Baptist, Danish Baptist, etc. Of course, to further muddy the waters, these mostly CHANGED NAMES in the last 50-100 years to separate them from the narrow parochialism of a nationality.

Hence the Swedish Baptists became the Baptist General Conference (not to be confused with the General Baptist Conference or Baptist General Convention or General Baptists or General Association of Regular Baptists . .) Well, you get the idea.