1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Hall Of Shame

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Mark Osgatharp, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have allowed this thread to run against my better judgment, and I do not believe speculating on the eternal fate of prominent Baptists would edify our membership in the least.

rsr

2. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Brother Vaughn,

If J.R. Graves was a Calvinist, then shame on him. Shame on any man so steeped in the hell inspired philosophies of man that he would deny that Jesus Christ tasted death for every man.

Shame, shame, shame!

Mark Osgatharp

3. whatever

whatever New Member

Calvinists do not deny Hebrews 2:9. Shame on any man who tells untruths about Calvinists.

Shame, shame, shame!

4. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

Where in the Bible (KJV, NIV, NASB, ESV, or any other translation) can we as sinners, saved by grace, find the right and the power to assign the souls of people to Hell. Please provide chapter and verse for me. I have been disturbed by the harsh comments I have seen in other threads (especially disturbed about some I made that seemed harsh in retrospect), but the absolute villification and condemnation I find in this thread is what is shameful. This thread should be closed and removed from the forum and all who have posted here claim the power of God to send people to Hell should get on their knees and beg His forgiveness.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    SeekingTruth, so far none here have sent anyone to hell. Yes, Mark has said "Shame, Shame, Shame." But, that's a temporal act not an eternal one. Yes, in a few cases as listed above some have questioned the salvation of the modernists on the list. But, then those are clear cut cases of false doctrine and have nothing to do with Calvinism.

6. Mark Osgatharp

Thank you Squire! There are some around here who can't even read, or at least don't bother to read something before they start lambasting it. Shame on them too.

Mark Osgatharp

7. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

To say that a man's doctrinal beliefs are hell inspired, is tantamount to call him a servant of Satan. Mark Osgatharp as quoted above has cone just that. I rep[eat my contention that this forum seems to be especially harsh and condeming of those who do not believe the Arminian theology.

To merely say "Shame" is not the same as accusing people of preaching a doctrine or believing a philosophy inspired in hell, which is to say Satan. Osgathorp has, as I stated above, do this very thing. Any man who preaches Satan's doctrine is condemned to Hell. He knows this, and so should you Squire.

And Mark, your insulting accusation that I can't read is demeaning to me and to yourself. For one who professes to be a man of God, you should not be so vindictive.

8. whatever

whatever New Member

Bro. Squire,

Can one be "steeped in the hell inspired philosophies of man" and still be saved?

9. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

whatever,

Based on his response, which you posted above, it would appear Squire believes this to be the case. Not only does it seem that he believes so, Mark O must believe so as well, since both maintain that no one has condemned anyone to hell.

Since Mark O placed shame on me as well, I guess he has also condemned me to hell. Not that that thought concerns me, because my Lord is the only one who can do that. No man, preacher or not, can do so. Praise God for that.

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro. Squire,

Can one be "steeped in the hell inspired philosophies of man" and still be saved?</font>[/QUOTE]Actually, what is happening is I am not letting Mark O's hyperbolic hence illogical statements cloud my reactions to him. He does have a germ of truth in his statement. Brother Calvin in developing his system of theology applied Aristotelian logic to the Scriptures. Obviously, Aristole was a unsaved pagan. And the Holy Spirit did cause the Apostle Paul to write:
    I look at the wisdom the Greeks sought after as the Aristotelian. Socratic, ect. systems of thought. Mark O drove off into the ditch (just like Brother Calvin did) by conflation. Or to quote my logic teacher at MBBC, the late M. James Hollowood

11. whatever

whatever New Member

Bro. Squire,

What Calvinists believe was around long before John Calvin, but that is really beside the point.

I am a little confused by your response, though. Are you saying that it is acceptable to question the salvation of others as long as you are doing so by using illogical hyperbole? Or that he knew that he was using illogical hyperbole and therefore he did not mean what he was saying? Or what?

12. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

James R. Graves not John R. Graves.

James R. Graves was the father of Landmarkism in the Southern Baptist Convention and probably did more to promote the Landmark position among Baptists than any other single figure.

That he was a Calvinist is almost assuredly so since the majority of Baptists in his day were such to one degree or another.

I find it interesting that Mark O. is a member of a Landmark Baptist Church which no doubt could trace its beginnings to some influence of J.R. Graves who was probably a Calvinist as well.

Interesting how we pick and choose our hero's doctrines.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

IF one ever traces the trail of blood he soon realizes the heretics he has to cross. Landmarkism is simply a reaction to popery.

14. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What it means is I am not going to go after Mark O's hide for his lack of logic. I am letting his ill use of logic stand naked for what is in the full light of day. Then, I am going to ignore it and get on with life. Regretfully, I cannot write anything stronger without falling afoul of the Posting Rules. The PSs do not allow for the questioning of Member's salvation but non-members are not covered by the rules.

That and you have to remember, I do not have a dog in the CvA debate.

15. whatever

whatever New Member

Thank you for clarifying.

16. Mark Osgatharp

Well let's apply your logic to Scripture. The church of Jesus Christ at Pergamos had heretics in it, namely Balaamites who taught idolatry and fornication, as well as Nicolaitans whose doctrine, whatever it was, was hated by Jesus Christ.

Now according to your logic I ought not claim such a church as part of the trail of blood because it had some heretic teachers in it. And yet Jesus said that same church had a martyr, Antipas, who was slain for his testimony. Therefore the church, in spite of it's heretics, was in the trail of blood.

So much for you sophistical argument against the Lord's trail of blood.

As for J.R. Graves, my faith doesn't rest one iota on what he did or didn't do.

Mark Osgatharp

17. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Dear Mark,
    I hope you get better.

18. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark,

I would say "PRAISE THE LORD JESUS CHRIST" and the glory of the free Gospel of Grace for a man like Charles Spurgeon who preached a pure Gospel that you castigate as "Calvinism."

sdg!

rd

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Having a church with heretics in it is not the same thing as heretical groups. Heretics are not the church.

20. mioque

mioque New Member

Of course me having inspired this thread I will probably have to apologize to all of them...

Including the ones listed by Gold Dragon. :eek:

edited for proper formatting, KR

[ September 27, 2005, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Squire Robertsson ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.