1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Hymnal in shaped notes

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by TaterTot, Mar 8, 2005.

1. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Does anyone know where I might find the 1975 edition of the Baptist Hymnal in shaped notes? Our organist has one that is totally falling apart, and I want to surprise her with a new one. But I cant find one anywhere. If anyone has one you are willing to sell, I'll be glad to buy it from you and pay for package/postage as well. Thanks!

2. D28guy

D28guy New Member

TaterTot,

The "Primitive Baptists" have these hymn books that can be purchased from them.

Here is an excerpt from the homepage...

"Primitive Hymns, compiled by Benjamin Lloyd.

This important tuneless hymnal dating from 1841 contains many texts, un-attributed here but often by Watts and other English hymnists, which have long been used by hymn composers. This hymnal often contains more verses than one finds in most hymnals with music. It is a valuable source of texts for contemporary composers of shape-note hymns.

I guess that means these are "shaped note" hymnbooks.

Link.... Click here

God bless,

Mike

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

TaterTot,

This appears to be the ticket for you...

Heres the 1st...

Heavenly Highway Hymns

One of the most popular hymnals, this classic features old-time gospel standards with choral arrangements typeset in shape note style. Captures the singing style taught in the Stamps-Baxter music schools.(Benson)

Heres the 2nd...

Broadman Hymnal

This all-time favorite remains a steady source of inspired hymn-singing for any occasion, any age, anytime. (B&H)

Round-note 22827-0805492992 $6.95
    Shaped-note 22828-0805492984 $7.95

Its from the Baptist(I think) organisation "Lifeway".

When the page comes up, scroll to the bottom.

You know what to do..... right here

Mike

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Oooops, :eek:

I just noticed this. You asked for the 1975 version of the Hymnal.

Dont know if those up there will work or not.

2 are about 20 years too young, [​IMG] and the 1st is about 115 years too old!! :D

Well, I tried! [​IMG]

Mike [​IMG]

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Thanks D28guy. I already have those hymnals you mentioned. I really appreciate you taking the time to give that info!!

6. Gayla

Gayla New Member

There are some on Ebay. They're in pretty good condition, but might not be the edition you're looking for. Most say 1956, but one says 28th printing (or somewhere around there).

7. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Thanks Gayla. Were they the Baptist Hymnal? I havent found that one on ebay.

8. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Yes, I just typed in "Baptist Hymnal" on the 'what are you looking for?' box on the front page. Or is that home page? ;)

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TaterTot, you can find copies of the "Baptist Hymnal" on ebay just about all the time. Just be sure the one you find and bid on is what you want - the right year and shaped notes. There is a query form where you can write the owner, in case you're not sure. Hope you find what you want.