1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Pastor under Scruntiny

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Aug 14, 2007.

1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The Rev. Jerry Sutton, a prominent Southern Baptist pastor who lost a bid to become president of the denomination, is now facing an upheaval in the megachurch he leads, including complaints that he spent church money on his daughter's wedding. For nearly 21 years, Sutton has served as leader of Nashville's Two Rivers Baptist Church, which sits just across the highway from the Grand Ole Opry. The church hosted the "Justice Sunday II" rally in 2005, where then-House Majority Leader Tom DeLay and others criticized judicial activism via satellite to a national audience of evangelical Christians.
    We do not need this, you can get the whole story at associated press. I am not sure how to do a link.

2. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks Mag.

3. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a link to the story in today's (Thursday's) story in The Tennessean about the meeting that took place last night while regular church services were going on. http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070816/NEWS06/708160404 In the right hand column beside the article there is a link to yesterday's original article. Near the end of that article there is a link to the web site set up by the members trying to oust Sutton. This is starting to look a lot like the situation at Bellevue in Memphis although the particulars are different.

I am not a member of Two Rivers, and I am not a supporter of Jerry Sutton. However, I do feel for this church. They are going through a difficult time, and it is probably going to get worse before it gets better. I hope they will come out of this stronger. According to yesterday's article, they have allowed the church staff to run the church. They have even appointed all of the church committees. It sounds like the members are about ready to take control of their church. I'm praying that the church will come out of this stronger.

Tim Reynolds

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I was baptized at Two Rivers Church before Jerry Sutton was pastor. I hate to see this happening in yet another church.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Kind of reminiscent of Numbers 16

16:3 And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD?

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

We have a very similar situation here in Washington, DC, where the historic Shiloh Baptist Church is in conflict over its pastor, Dr. Wallace Charles Smith. The allegations by a group of members, who tried to hold a congregational meeting this past Saturday, but were locked out, is that Dr. Smith sold some church properties on his own and used the proceeds for church expenses, because the offering income was not keeping up. But that is just part of the issue. These properties have become a public embarassment to Shiloh, as the city has threatened condemnation if some of the houses owned by the church are not repaired. And, on top of it all, old resentments about Dr. Smith taking on the presidency of Palmer Theological Seminary some while ago, though continuing to serve at Shiloh, are coming forward. It looks like a no-win to me.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm not throwing rocks, but please be careful, gang.

I made this same point in a thread regarding Bellevue Baptist in Memphis last year.

I'm sure we don't know the whole story. The impressions we have regarding what's wrong might be dead on--or dead wrong....and I don't want to be party to any more strife, division, etc., than what's already there.
    Let's just commit to pray for the church.