1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Predators

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAmilton, Aug 18, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That would depend on the church. Some churches take each ministry very seriously.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, He did as a matter of fact. The image through Him is perfect. Sin still remains in our being though. You know, it manifests itself in anger, unable to let the past go, and is no good for any Christian. In fact, it plays havoc with sanctification. Any more questions?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then I was was wondering why you seem to think it is your place to be a junior Holy Spirit as though you can see through people and your judgments are holy and righteous?

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you two seriously give it a break. I mean come on just ignore each other.

As for the rapid involvement...

I can't speak for any other church but our children's and student ministries require a lot before they consider a volunteer. It does cause strain, but its worth it. We have strict rules for our volunteers and staff. Everyone who serves is vigilant of the threat of abuse. We do background checks on all preschool and children's workers who are volunteer and paid staff. It is essential. We have a great children's ministry!

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was pastoring the insurance company required that from us.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

never mind

#26 saturneptune, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2009
  7. Josh the Baptist

Site Supporter

Churches-in-general --- Is there any other place where a new volunteer is so quickly and eagerly placed in a position of authority over children?

That is true. Most churches are too eager to hand positions out to new members. We live in an age were background checks are absolutely justified. I heard of a story were a member had seen some families torn by child molestation. He thought it would be a good idea to require background checks on children ministers of the church. When he approached the deacons with the idea they rejected it and made him feel like a villain. It was so bad that he left the church.

It's strange how many church members want to be professional in their secular careers, education, hobbies, etc. but throw all rhyme and reason out the door when it pertains to God's house and business.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I had a similar thing happen in a church with its finances when I suggested that they have their books audited. Later I questioned the number in attendance and the head deacon told me they were adding some in. A few years later the IRS caught up with them and they were forced to change their ways.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

For those men who find it unrealistic, they should leave the priesthood and marry, of course. But we should not presume that just because it is unrealistic for many men, it is not unrealistic for all men. Paul praised sigleness, and said it was good, noting that he himself was single.

10. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

While I was on the Pulpit Committee, I drew a line in the sand with the congregation and said that we will NOT have a pastoral candidate in front of the church until we do a criminal background check on him and his wife. Now since I go to a small, backwoodsy, 1930's mindset church, the idea of a background check was about as foreign to them as Mongolian wrestling. But I told them that God has called me to stand guard at the doors of the church and to make sure we didn't have a child-toucher in our midst.

BTW, we have a convicted child-toucher living next door to our church. But since his official "legal" residence is 20 miles up the road at his Mom's house, we can't do anything but watch the kids and pray he doesn't try anything. It makes me sick to my stomach!

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good for you! A pastoral candidate who knows the church was thorough will also enjoy what comes from that too.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

One good thing, if you are ever on a pulpit committee, just think of all the money you can save by not having to do background checks. Just look at the resume. If the candidate comes from a SBC school or pastored a SBC church, you automatically know he is not worth consideration without the background check.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How much money would be saved?

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe enough to buy you a large print edition of Paul's letters in the New Testment so you can learn the significance of the local church.

#34 saturneptune, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
  15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like post #30?

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Post 30 has nothing to do with your disregard and distain for the local church.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is unrealistic for the vast majority of men - way more than the number of men in the priesthood of the Catholic church. I do not think that God calls that many men to be single and I do not think it healthy for a church to have only unmarried men to lead it.

Additionally, I'm seeing some really scary things going on in the Catholic church right now. A friend of mine is a deacon in the Catholic church who told his wife last year that he wanted to get a divorce. He realized he was gay and he wanted to release his wife of 20 years to allow her to have a "real" relationship. Their divorce was final a couple of months ago and they're working on the annulment - despite the 3 children that the marriage produced. He also will be going to seminary to become a priest. He had to take time off from the deaconate because of his divorce, although he continued to be fully employed by the church as he is a music minister too. I found out just before I went on vacation a few weeks ago that he has been cleared to return to the deaconate and was accepted to seminary. HUH???????? How screwed up is that???

In our church, every single person working in ministry anywhere signs a ministry covanent and has a background check. We have numerous police officers who oversee this issue. Additionally, there is never one person with a child in any situation other than their own children. There is never a man alone with a woman who is not his wife or daughter. I've been one who has sat in on counseling sessions between a male pastor and a female congregant just to be another woman in the room (kind of like the nurse at the doctor's office). I don't think you can be too careful or cautious.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You don't seem to get along with anyone, do you?

Maybe you should read that large print bible yourself, starting with how Christians should love one another.

As far as the OP is concerned. In the past I have had two "pastors" who served in churches I was a member of leave because of inappropriate actions.

One ran off with another woman while his wife was at home with five children ranging for a few months to 13 years old. He also was being sought by the police for passing hot checks.

The other plead guilty of child molestation and is now free after serving a time in jail.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are exactly right. There is no tolerance for someone who loathes the local church or someone that uses their entire time to do nothing but belittle an entire branch of the Baptist church and those who are members of its local church.

In your case, and since you joined, its more a matter of dealing with someone who lacks historical perspective or an understanding of the Constitution, since you usually post in the political section. If I thought you understood what you were saying, it would be one thing to be annoyed at your constant support of Obama and his policies, and cutting down other posters for conservative values. This is a matter of being unable to grasp concepts.

20. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

wow, just wow...