1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist Prophets

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rolfe, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible states though that the Spirit gave gift to each one as He willed, not that He cae ad left upon people! One had healing gift, another moracle, tongues etc, not that it changed form person to person each eek!

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Junia was an apostle (Romans 16:7), Phoebe was a deacon (Romans 16:1), Prisca (aka Priscilla) was apparently a teacher of renown (Acts 18:26). Moreover, a church met in her house (1 Corinthians 16:19). There is quite a good chance that they pastored the congregation together, with Prisca doing the majority of the teaching.

Priscilla/Prisca and Aquila are always mentioned together. It is notable that Priscilla is mentioned at all in ancient literature, much less before her husband's name. That indicates that she was the leader of the activity in question. Whenever the couple is mentioned in terms of ministry, her name precedes her husband's name (see Acts 18:18, 26, 2 Timothy 4:19 and Romans 16:3). When they are mentioned in a non-ministry or neutral setting her husband's name is mentioned before hers (see Acts 18:2-3 and 1 Corinthians 16:19).

3. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you don't seek to listen to God? If you don't listen, you won't hear.

Jesus taught, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." (John 10:27)

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do, as He speaks perfectly threu his word!

5. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how did He call your pastor into ministry? Was your pastor's name written in the pages of scripture? Probably not.

Do did your pastor do it as a career decision (some do) or was it because he* heard from God? If he heard from God, that is an extrabiblical revelation. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

* I'm making the assumption that your pastor is a he, since you seem to have concerns about female pastors.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had to chuckle when reading at your denomination's seminary website:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No female Apostles, No femalepastors/
    He felt led and called by God into the ministry, as the Spirit was able to reveal that to him without someone giving him a "word of the Lord"

8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Making that statement doesn't negate scripture. I'm going to go with scripture.

I'm not talking about a third party telling him anything.

How did the Spirit reveal that to him? He didn't find his name in the Bible stating that he was to go into vocational ministry. So he discerned the Spirit's guidance in a way that was distinct from the scripture, although not contrary to it.

That's all I'm advocating.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture gives NO femle Apostles/pastors/Elders in NT churc!
    And God movedin him, workin hrough situations an advice of others to bring him to beinapastor, did not hve someonelay hads on him and prophesy overhim!

10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Say it all you want, that doesn't make it true.

I have given you the scripture, deal with it.

So does he think that other people called him into it, or was it God? Because "situations" and "advice" are not scripture. If he is comfortable discerning the will of God that way, then why do you object to the idea that God speaks outside of, but complementary to scripture?

I do not know what you are describing here. If you are under the illusion that I have been talking about something like this, you are mistaken.

Again, it seems like you are reading the abuses of the charismatic movement into what I am talking about. I have been pointing you to scripture and you keep bringing up strange scenarios.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were no apostles/pastors/elders named in NT that were female, andthe Holy Spirt can lead al of us by scripture/situation/other Christians, without need for a word of Knowledge or such!

12. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can stop repeating this. I gave you the scripture. Your denials don't change reality.

You don't have to recognize what a word of knowledge is in order to hear it as the leading of God. If you are hearing God through other Christians, you are probably hearing a word of knowledge.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you prophesy then from God? To individuals, or to the assembly?

14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primarily, I interpret and apply the scripture to specific situations. On occasion, there is a specific word I have from the Spirit for a group of believers or a single believer or unbeliever.

Often I don't know that I have that word until it is on my breath to speak at that moment. Otherwise, I may not have the nerve to actually say it or would severely question the wisdom of saying it. I have committed myself to speaking the word of God and have asked Him to keep me from holding back when it is appropriate, so I see that as prayer answered. And since we often assume that the words from God are going to be hard and full of judgment, I need to report that the words that are spoken are words of grace that free people from the things they are apparently struggling with that are holding their Christian walk captive.

The words definitely do not have their origin in me.

All of the above. I don't preach that much these days, but I do teach classes at church and do quite a bit of evangelism and discipleship. These days it most often happens in terms of evangelism where I can reference something that I have no way of knowing and speak God's words for that person directly into them.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We know that thsdcriptures are always 'the word of th Lord" to others, how do you know your words are?

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's difficult to explain, but I'll give it a shot:
    (1) Because they are not my words. They are things I have not thought of, nor things I have known.
    (2) They often address things that others have been praying about, or secrets that I cannot know. God uses them to confirm something to the other person.
    (3) They have power and are effective. I can often feel the sensation of power going out of me are I speak them and they bring transformation to the ones who hear them.
    (4) They are often tied to unexpected (by me) encounters with people that turn to the gospel message of Jesus to become His disciple.

The most recent event happened about 10 days ago. I was talking to a long-time close acquaintance who is a hostile atheist. We were talking about a matter of mutual concern and suddenly I was talking about the corruption of sin upon the world - definitely a topic that would usually shut down conversation with him - and how that extends to personal brokenness and responsibility toward God. It was completely out of the blue to me, but the words were flowing with power and compassion and I continued explaining the call of Jesus to personal transformation and world transformation through the Kingdom of God. I also explained the reality of the coming Final Judgment where Jesus will set everything right and destroy evil (and those who do evil) so that we can live together and with God in harmony and righteousness.

The whole time I was surprised, but the words kept coming with a power and a graciousness that does not originate in me. My friend was quite teary-eyed and quiet - obviously moved deeply - but could not respond the way he wanted to deep down because of pride, fear and anger. He quietly told me that he "doesn't believe that," but his words were hallow and our conversation ended shortly after. I think he will be coming to faith within the next three years or so, probably sooner.

As a bit of background, about 12 years ago God told me that this person was going to be redeemed and that I don't need to worry about him in prayer anymore - just watch, wait and be obedient. Through the last dozen years, I have seen a number of life events occur that are slowly pushing him toward the grace of God. There have been two incidents where someone he loves was at the verge of death in the hospital (one of them was his wife) and he called me to ask me to have "good thoughts" (that is, pray for) that person. In both instances, I prayed for that situation and the loved one immediately recovered. Now that's not me doing anything, that's the power of God being released in his life and I am only the representative of the life of the Kingdom to him. I have been a faithful witness to him and lived my life before him for about 35 years, so he naturally looks to me for a Christian perspective.

This kind of thing is not an everyday occurrence, but it also is not terribly unusual. When you are committed to Kingdom of God work and you have a theology that is open to God speaking and working through you, then you live in expectation that God will use you to make a difference, just like as described in scripture.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you not a Baptist Prophet, but one who once in a while has the Spirit led your discussions? Doesn't He at times do that for ll Christians, as He lead/directs the conversdations at times? How is that having a gift?

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looking back on what I posted, I can see how you jumped to that conclusion. I decided to tell of the most recent incident, but after I wrote it up, I went back and removed a lot of the easily identifiable specifics because I don't want to put them on a public forum where this person could identify themselves in the story and undermine what God is doing.

Look back at the numbered list and let me throw out some other incidents that are easier to talk about:

A couple of years ago, I felt compelled to invite a teenager to lunch after church and talk to him about his life. I didn't know why, but as soon as we ordered at the restaurant, I knew immediately. I told him that he must not take his life like he was planning. He immediately broke out crying and we made arrangements for him to talk to his parents and get help for his deep depression.

In another incident a few years ago, an acquaintance from college mentioned on Facebook that her brother had died and she was having to make arrangements for his funeral. I expressed my condolences and prayer for her and her family. About two days later, I was compelled to contact her through Facebook messenger and let her know that he brother had not "died alone," that "Jesus was with Him in the final moments." I knew nothing about the causes or circumstances of his death, so I really felt strange about doing something like that, but I did. She immediately let me know that my message was a specific answer to prayer since her brother had died on his kitchen floor during a heart attack when there was no one else there. They found his body a couple of days later when no one heard from him. She had been in deep grief about his last moments and my message had reassured her that her brother was okay.

I could tell you more, but that's enough for you to get the idea. It is not anything that I am doing other than being obedient. I'm not claiming any special authority like the person who inspired this thread. My ego is not tied up in it, so if you refuse to believe me then that's that.

But your belief or disbelief does not change the essential reality of what God is doing.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Spirit can guide and direct our converations whenver He wants, so would one need to have the gift of prophesy for that then?

20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You make it sound as if the work of the Spirit in prophesy is somehow opposed to Spirit-leading in other areas.

You need to ask God why He gave gifts to men and women. It makes sense to me and works beautifully. It is a shame you won't recognize it based on extrabiblical doctrines.