1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Baptist School Loses Third of Faculty

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also am not against a private school imposing whatever rules they want on their students and faculty. The only concern I had was their claiming that it was a return to "biblical roots". The advocation of total abstinence (except in one's own home) is a cultural thing, not biblical. That is all I am saying.

#41 asterisktom, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Can you provide something showing it is not a return and that the standards go against biblical standards?

3. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already did earlier. To start with, there is the passage in John 2.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I read what you wrote but it does not suggest that having standards against drinking in certain places and around certain people goes against scripture.
    It would be no different if they made it against the rules to show passionate affection to a spouse in certain areas or around others. You have not provided anything to support your cause. It is not wrong to set standards against drinking so as to set biblical standards. How about if a church made a mandate that leaders of the church could not bring and drink bear out of a cooler during service? Would that be wrong? That school did a good thing, not an evil thing.They did not tell them they copuld not drink, just that it could not happen in certain places and around certain people. I fail to see how that is evil.

#44 freeatlast, Jun 2, 2012
  5. Ryan.Samples

Ryan.Samples New Member

I'm on board with you. To prohibit public drinking and call the position a return to biblical roots leads me to conclude that, in their mind, public drinking is unbiblical. Where do we see that in Scripture?

I really can't see how anyone can take the biblical evidence as a whole and declare the consumption of alcohol unbiblical. The only way you can play that game is if you make declarations like "the wine at Jesus' first miracle wasn't fermented." You'd have to say the same with the Lord's Supper and Paul's advice to Timothy. Sigh. :BangHead:

For the record, I don't consume alcohol (outside the occasional NyQuil). I simply take issue with Christians who claim you can't drink and be godly.

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Wine [is] a mocker, strong drink [is] raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
    Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, [when] it moveth itself aright.

7. Ryan.Samples

Ryan.Samples New Member

What does "deceived thereby" mean?

Jesus provided wine and consumed it himself. Are you calling the second person of the Trinity "not wise"? Pretty sure that falls safely in the realm of heresy.

I don't mind you citing additional references, but it is interesting you completely ignored the verses the oppose your position. How do you respond to the passages that promote the consumption of alcoholic beverages?

8. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Since this thread has turned into a "drinking" thread, I'll jump in here with a few thoughts about Proverbs 20:1

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

First of all, the word "wine" in the Bible is a generic word. The context determines if it is fermented or the pure juice/fruit of the vine. In Proverbs 20:1 wine is called a "mocker". Jesus did not turn the water into fermented/alcoholic wine at the wedding of Cana (John 2).
    The Lord Jesus Christ never created alcoholic wine, nor did He ever drink it.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sad to see this thread turn into a rambling debate about alcohol. The issues in the OP are greater than that diversion.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Post the ones you are speaking about.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

First, your comments are not directing the OP, so you are off topic.

Second, I find your comments very offensive. Since when do you get off on pitting the author of the Bible, the Holy Spirit against Christ Himself. You have them contradicting each other.
    I don't mind citing additional references, but it is interesting...how you oppose your own position.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

To try and get back on track, there is one thing for sure. Biblical or not, moral or not, when someone is an employer, paying the bills and the salary, creating the jobs, they have the right to set conditions of employment. If one works there, they agree to follow them or go somewhere else.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Not only that the courts have already ruled that an employer can even make rules pertaining to your private life. A few years ago a woman was fired for smoking at home and the courts upheld the termination.
    In this case they are simply asking people to show a Christ like life, setting some standards, and some are in rebellion.

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    歡迎執行局。 我喜歡你明智反饋。 願上帝保佑你,並讓你安全! :thumbs:

15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Som e Wise Advice to You...

没有一个是迫使你到底在哪里......所以,哥哥喝的问题是什么? 让所有的一切在基督里做的适度。 我不容忍饮用水,但知道有一些人喝。 只要他们不喝對drunkeness,我见没有问题! 沙洛姆

16. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for the kind comments. (谢谢你的客气话!)

沙洛姆 (Shalom) to you too.

(OK, I promise not to indulge in any more Chinese since most here can't read it. Not that I am a whiz at it yet :smilewinkgrin:)

#56 asterisktom, Jun 2, 2012
  17. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Must Not Let the Others Thin That....

....we are tpying in tongues :smilewinkgrin:

Are you a missionary to China? You have to be the first BB member from that region of the world. Whatever the reason you are in China, welcome and many blessings as well as His unconditional favor for your continued protection...

#57 righteousdude2, Jun 2, 2012
  18. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you very much, brother.

I am a missionary only in that all Christians are missionaries. I am an English teacher here on contract. But this certainly is a mission field. Many people here do not even know about Christ. A pastor here says that, when he needs a beginning point of connection in his witnessing, he points to the white cross of the hospital, a well-known symbol.

We - my wife and I, not a "royal we" ; ) - feel very blessed to be here. The pay is poor (and often "loopholey") but that is the fault of the school I work for. The people here are, for the most part, wonderful folks.

I just wish I could read and write better so that I could communicate above a third-grade level.

#58 asterisktom, Jun 2, 2012
  19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

God bless you and your ministry where you are. I think it is wonderful the Gospel can be told in a country we could not even enter a generation ago.

20. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I mean no offense to anyone here, but it's amazing how people will jump on people for derailing a thread when it turns from the discussion of a school's rules and whether or not they are right, into whether or not drinking is ok. But to derail the thread and talk about China as a mission field in the same thread is ok?

As far as Christ drinking any alcoholinc beverage, I can't say with certainty that he did not turn the water into alcoholic wine, although it is my belief that he did not. However, I can say with a certainty that the wine drank at the Last Supper was not alcoholic, as it was a passover observance, and the Jews were not allowed to consume leaven at that time.

Back to the OP, the school's wording of "getting back to biblical roots" may not have meant that all their standards are found explicitly in the Bible, but rather that they are going back to the Biblical roots of having standards and practicing separation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.