1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Student Unions

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Jerome, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SEBTS's Nathan Finn recalls the important role Baptist Student Unions once played:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/anxiousbench/2015/01/baptist-student-union-and-the-vietnam-war/

"Baptist Student Union played a strategic role in helping many Baptist collegians navigate the youth counterculture of the 1960s and 1970s. The campus ministry and its periodical, The Baptist Student, remained resolutely conservative on traditional Baptist concerns such as eternal salvation and believer’s baptism, as well as ethical matters such as sexual ethics and drug abuse (for Baptists, including alcohol consumption). However, the periodical carved out a more leftward stance on perceived social justice issues, whether race relations, gender roles, or, in this case, the Vietnam War."

2. nailah783

nailah783 Member

I was in a Christian Student Union in High School. I felt it was necessary to fellowship with my friends who believe as I do. It did great for my spiritual well being during that rocky time in life. We sang songs, went over scriptures, and just enjoyed each other's company for the short thirty minutes we had during that part of our lunch hour. It kept me grounded, and was a reminder of where my faith lies in the Lord. They should have these types of student unions in every school.