1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist theology on Mary or lack there-of...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by ZeroTX, May 21, 2004.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God made dirt, then formed Adam. God took a rib from Adam and made Eve. Perhaps He took one of Mary's cells and formed a body for Christ.

Some details simply aren't for us to worry about. However, my humanity depends on God's Word, not my parents. Consider Adam.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet if Jesus was "Concieved" like other babys then sperm had to be involved. That puts the Holy Spirit in a sexual term and like I said before, I dont like that terminology, it just does not sit right with me. I think that the Holy Spirit may have implanted an embryo for sure, yet I am not so sure that He took Marys egg and fertilised it to do so.

I looked up the word Concieved in the Strongs Concordance and here is what we get. no 4815 'sullambano' to clasp, i.e sieze - catch, concieve, help or take.

Maybe the key word could be "help"

Scholars???

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm not a scholar but I still maintain conception had to be much like any other except without the sperm. If Mary's egg was not used, then Jesus did not descend from Mary or her ancestors as the Bible says he did and he does not have the humanity the Bible says he did. How else would Jesus be the Son of Man and be "like his brothers?" He could not be getting his humanity any way other than from man.

There is nothing sexual about the egg becoming an embryo supernaturally by the HS without sex. It is not sexual to me at all.

The passages above using conceive were written to all believers who would understand it the way we usually understand the word. God would not use that word and mean something else by it.

6. semamiyth

semamiyth New Member

If Jesus had any genes from Mary, that would have given him a sin nature. Jesus Christ was given perfect genes without a sin nature. The Holy Ghost totally and utterly "conceived" Baby Jesus. The genealogy signifies that Jesus is "born" of the line of David. That is to say that Jesus is legally/formally a decendent of David, counted just as if he was their very own. Same as if Joseph and Mary had adopted a child. Notice that Ephraim and Manasseh are counted as Israel's sons in Genesis 48.

.....for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

This can be said like this: for that which she is pregnant with is of the Holy Ghost.

Look in Webster's dictionary.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The argument is that the "sin nature" is passed through the semen - theological terms are found under the "seminal headship of the human race".

So the seed of a woman - an egg of Mary - has 1/2 the chromosomes, but not tainted with the sin nature. The holy Spirit impregnates that ovum with a spiritual seed (other 1/2 of the chromasomes) which also does not have sin.

So Jesus is perfectly human, yet perfectly divine - the God man so longed after by the Greek culture.

And though Ben (and many others) don't like to think of this sexually, the holy Spirit came over Mary and impregnated her. Yet obviously not with human sex organs, since she remained a virgin.

Hence the "miracle" of the virgin birth.

http://www.medgen.ubc.ca/wrobinson/mosaic/chromosome.htm

8. semamiyth

semamiyth New Member

I don't like that fact that Jesus recieved half of the chromasomes from a sinful person in this viewpoint. However, it is a good point considering that Adam's and Eve's eyes were not opened until Adam had eaten of the tree.