1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist Traditions? Drinking alcohol & dancing

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by KPBAP, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Frogman I reread the post before I had gotten on, over again, and I noticed Bapmom MAY have been referring to another poster about people being judgmental torwards IFB I thought she was referring to ME. Guess I'm a bit head shy with a certain few now.

Sorry if I misunderstood you Bapmom

2. See John there you go again, we need more people like you to lighten things up keep posting PLEASE !

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

mioque,

Oh I see....thanks =)

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Its alright, RFW

5. RTG

RTG New Member

Is the one who judges the IFB any more just than the one who judges the moderate drinker?

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

RTG,

not that Im trying to keep this going, but Ive always been taught that we judge the activity and not the person.

I may not be perfect in this area, as no one else is either, but I try.

7. RTG when someone has had a bad experence with something or someone. It becomes real to them. The Bible doesn't say we should not judge. ( thats another topic ) The Bible says to test ALL things to see if they are from God.

I know for a fact that NOT all IFB are the way the churches I have experenced. In fact the first baptist church I went to ( the conservative one ) was a IFB church BUT the Pastor way before I had even attended LEARNED that alot of what he was taught ( legalism ) was WRONG. He spoke from the Bible and let Gods word and the Holy Spirit do the convicting. He didn't stand up there and say this is wrong don't do it, unless the Bible CLEARY said something was wrong, like fornication.

Even though they wished ALL women wore dresses it was NEVER preached about, but the women learders were EXAMPLES. So you knew that is what was prefered.

See the difference ? When it comes to gray areas we have liberity in Christ, when the Bible calls sin, sin it is WRONG, when the Bible is SILENT so shall we be.

8. RTG

RTG New Member

bapmom,RFW thanks for the reply,"He spoke from the Bible and let Gods word and Holy Spirit do the convicting." I like that.I Cor.Whether therefore ye eat,or drink,or whatsoever ye do,do all to the glory of God.Good night and God Bless RTG

9. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

HI I'M NEW HERE BUT I CAN TELL ANY AND EVERYONE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE THAT IF YOUR DANCING AND DRINKING YOUR IN A VERY DANGEROUS PLACE AND YOU SURE CAN'T BE A GOOD WITNESS FOR THE LORD.SORRY IF I SOUND A LITTLE CRUD BUT I LIVED IN THAT EVIL WORLD FOR 25 YEARS THANK GOD I'M NOT RIDING THAT BARB WIRE FENCE ANYMORE

10. Samplewow, good for you, if you had a problem in that area, you made the right choice.

But not everyone has a problem with drinking or with going to clubs dancing. So their experence is not yours.

If they want to have a drink or dance at a wedding, or any special event, then who are you to tell them how dangerous that is ?

As far as I'm concerned those who are judgmental can't be a good witness for the Lord.

I do not think anyone here is condoning a LIFESTYLE of abusing alcohol or club hopping.

11. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

hiright from wrong
    please don't misunder stand me I am far from condeming or judging another . Ican tell you however in my experience no man could have ever witnessed to me with a bottle inhis or her hand and i'llgo one further i'll say most would be unreceptive to the woed of God spoken by anyonedrinking

12. I think you are confusing a drunk with a person who has an occasional drink. Not all people who have a drink once in awhile are drunks. And not everyone who witness to people are holding a beer in their hands. I really do not think I am misunderstanding anything.

Most people do not get saved because of what WE DO as much as they have a hard heart. I person who isn't ready for the gospel ( and in my opinion isn't chosen ) will not receive the word even if you were PERFECT which none of us are. I have heard people when I witness to them try and find anyone they can to say "SEE THATS WHY I DON'T BELIEVE because of so and so ". They just are not ready to take responsibilty and accountabilty to what they need to do with Christ and their sin. So they have to point their fingers at someone or something.

I try not to judge others on how they should live as Christians. After experencing judgmental attitudes in several churches, it really woke me up and got me to see more of the Love of God character, not to play down his Holyness, Righteous and Justice. There is just a Balance to be seen in everything. Unless the Bible cleary says such and such is WRONG.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That is why I never recommend drinking and dancing. It is very diffcult to keep a beat when you've been drinking and dancing.

Seriously though, I danced with my wife at a wedding reception recently, and had a champagne toast. In fact, this was the wedding from someone I attend church with. Where was the "bad witness"?

Don't get me wrong, if you had a problem with it/them, then God bless you for overcoming that problem. I have no such problem, and if you ever saw me dance, you'd agree.

14. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

Well r from w
    I don't want to beat a dead HORSE but you do miss understand me . I'll try to make it clearer for you.7out of 10 people that drink are alcoholic ,4 of thoughs 7 no that they are. 1 of that 4 will go to treatment .In the best treatment programs in the nation 5 out of 100 will stay clean for a year .2 of thoughs 5 will not drink again.That my brother should sway your thinking a bit .IF that doesn'twork you can always fall back to prayer and reading your bible .as for me and my house we will serve the LORD! :confused: [​IMG]

15. WHATEVER ! I aint misunderstanding anything

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

16. I have a question for SAMPLEWOW,
    For clarification are you saying that if one is a Christian he/she can never have a drink of alcohol or dance; and still maintain a Holy life?

[​IMG]

17. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

HI,One of Gods Sheep
    Surely I would be a fool to say such a thing.What I'm saying is we should be very careful.I beleive that satan can easly get a foot in the door. Is it worth playing with, my experiance says NO.
    Read 1Cor 6:10, and on and on thru the bible God warns us,but still he lets us choose .

18. SAMPLEWOW

I agree that we are under liberty, but that we should use our liberty wisely. If we know that our friends or ourselves for that matter have a problem or potential problem with drink then we should stay away from it.
    [​IMG]

19. SAMPLEWOW

SAMPLEWOW New Member

wELL, Lamb ofGod
    I beleive that God just may have given you a level "HEAD" I like the way you think future freind. If only the rest of planet could see thru eyes wide open. God bless!

20. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

thing is, nothing is outside of this realm.

we shouldnt watch sports because some might be temtped to go too far and gamble.

we shouldnt talk because some might be tempted to curse.

we shouldnt sing cuz some might be tempted to sing bad songs.

if its not in the bible, its not dogmatic.

dancing isnt wrong, lust is.

drinking isnt wrong, drunkeness is.

some choose to stay away from these, but telling others they are wrong should they not agree is unbiblical.