1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Baptist View of Drinking and Smoking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

So, does that mean if I pray before I smoke a cigarette it's not a sin? :laugh:

2. standingfirminChrist

My pastor told me this joke over the summer, before he was my pastor and knowing that I was a smoker (long story). I rolled...thought it was absolutely hilarious. :laugh:

There may have been cigarettes called 'Torment' as well, as Revelation mentions in one place 'the smoke of their torment.':laugh::wavey:

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've stated my stance on alcohol. It's not a sin in and of itself but getting drunk is. We choose to not partake since my husband is a pastor - and most especially since he's in charge of the college ministry. They struggle enough with alcohol without their pastor drinking too.

As for cigarettes, I don't see ANY redeeming value in them at all and I know they could kill my husband. He has SEVERE asthma and just being around the smoke has caused him more hospitalizations than I care to count. Seriously - it could kill him. Plus I think they're just disgusting. BLECK!! But I do have some very dear friends who smoke and I love them just the same ... as long as they don't do it in my home.

4. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Having smoked for 35 years, I stopped because of societal pressure, not because it felt sinful. City council (which is infested with the politically correct) has made it illegal practically anywhere you go.

And after quitting, I gained 20 lbs. *D!*!!!*

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Amen to that. It is like the movie "Groundhog Day." It is like replaying a DVD, same script, same ideas, same words.

If you do not want to smoke or drink in moderation, then don't. If you want to smoke or drink in moderation, then do. Just talk about something else.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Oh, and Happy New Year.

#25 saturneptune, Dec 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Pro 23:29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?

Pro 23:30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

Pro 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, [when] it moveth itself aright.

Pro 23:32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

7. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Here's my info for your poll.
    I do not smoke
    My Wife and I drink approx. 6 beer each per year with pizza.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You noticed that too, I see. :laugh:

As Capt. Renault said, "Round up the usual suspects!" :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm thinking it would be easier for some of the "regulars" to just copy and paste some of their previous posts on similar threads, and save the effort over having to type it all out again. Would you agree with me on this, as well?

Ed

#28 EdSutton, Dec 30, 2007
  9. I Am Blessed 24

I will agree with you!

I don't even usually post on these topics anymore...there have been hundreds of threads like this since I've been on the board.

I was answering Dale-c in my post.

If people would just put alcohol or cigarettes in the search function, they would find many, many threads just like this in the Archives...

#29 I Am Blessed 24, Dec 30, 2007
  10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I am a tee-totaler, not even knowing what beer tastes like.

Nevertheless I'm still pretty sure this (I presume, purported to be "biblical") statement is not found anywhere, in any version of the Bible I'm familiar with.

Ed

#30 EdSutton, Dec 30, 2007
  11. I Am Blessed 24

It is found right here:

Proverbs 23:32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. KJV

The verses surrounding it support that it is indeed talking about wine.

12. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A wise proverb. For those who "tarry" or stay long at the wine leading to drunkeness, at the end it will definitely sting.

#32 Gold Dragon, Dec 30, 2007
  13. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Well thank God! Why in the world would you ruin a good steak or prime rib with a glass of white wine!!?? That IS a BAD habit! I am so thankful that you no longer practice this bad habit.

What kind of red wine do you prefer with your red meat now? :laugh:

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I know exactly what the verse says. The claim was made that it the Scripture said "fermented drink", not that it was "wine".

I was just responding to an incorrect statement, that is not to be found in at least 21 of the +25 English versions I can hold in my paws, or easily check out, that I have any access to. ;)

Ed

15. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Oh, that was the bad habit he was talking about. Steak and white wine. Got it now. I somehow thought he was calling wine drinking a bad habit. Yea, I never want the "vice" of drinking white wine with steak. And you definately don't want to smoke a pipe before steak and red wine, it would ruin the taste.

16. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I don't want the smell of anything in the air, but that expertly chared ribeye. Unless of course it was the smell of asparagus that would top the perfectly baked potato, along with plenty of butter (not margarine). Now if you wanted to enjoy a pipe or cigar afterwards....... that might be just fine..... for someone else of course. :)

17. Joe

Joe New Member

1 Peter 1:13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

18. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Good quote, Joe!

I've said it before,and I guess I'll say it ad nauseum until the Second Coming....*sigh*

There are two kinds of wine; fermented and non fermented. The non fermented would be what we call juice these days.
    And having one glass of wine does not a winebiber make by definition. Getting drunk makes one a winebiber. A winebiber is someone who drinks constantly and excessively.

love,

Sopranette

19. standingfirminChrist

after a glass of wine, one is not fully sober. Therefore one is not obeying Scriptural command to be sober.

20. Joe

Joe New Member

Just to clarify, I am against social drinking.

There is a series of disks we rented from Netflix called Body Story. One had to do with the mechanics of the brain. It demonstrated how alcohol impairsthe brain, even the slightest amount of alcohol such as only 1/2 glass of wine. They showed this guy dancing with this woman before and after wine consumption. He drank only 1/2 glass of wine and the wording was "Watch (forgot his name) the carnal desires take over his body" There was a subtle difference in his dancing with a lady before and after the wine. Just enough alcohol to drop his inhibitions, and provide him with courage he didn't have before to really enjoy himself (let loose).

This movie is from England. The alcohol inhibits receptors in the brain which affect the area's responsible for pleasure. It takes only a tiny amount of alcohol to breaks down our body's natural defenses which protect us from becoming too carnal, or too relaxed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.